Vargas' CG leads lead Mariners over A'sJul 8, 2012 - 6:02 AM
Vargas (8-7) gave up just one run on seven hits with one walk and six strikeouts to win for the first time since June 4. He was 0-3 in his previous five starts heading into Saturday.
"We scored seven runs and we pitched well and when you do that everything is going to click," said Vargas.
Kyle Seager hit a three-run double, Casper Wells had a solo homer and scored twice while Brendan Ryan added two hits and two RBI for the Mariners, who snapped a three-game skid.
Jarrod Parker (5-4) was touched for six runs -- five earned -- on six hits with two walks and six strikeouts in just 4 2/3 inning to take the loss.
"We're so used to seeing him go out there and throw up zeroes and give up one run or less, you don't get worried when games like this happen," said A's manager Bob Melvin about Parker. "He just had an off-night and things like that are going to happen. He's spoiled us because he's been so good this year, you don't expect these things to happen."
Josh Reddick's solo homer in the first inning accounted for the offense for the Athletics, who had a five-game winning streak stopped.
The teams exchanged runs in the first inning as John Jaso's single to center plated Michael Saunders to give Seattle the early advantage and Reddick hit his 20th homer of the season.
In the second, the Mariners went up for good as Wells led off with a single, Justin Smoak followed with a ground-rule double and Ryan chased them both home with a double for a 3-1 lead.
Wells' fourth homer of the season made it a 4-1 game in the fourth.
The Mariners blew the game open in the fifth. With two outs, Ichiro Suzuki singled and Saunders and Jaso both worked walks to load the bases. Seager cleared them with a double to the gap in right-center for a 7-1 lead.
Oakland didn't get a runner past second after Reddick's home run and hit into four double plays in the game.
It was the sixth complete game in Vargas' career. He improved to 5-4 in 13 games against the A's...Seattle has won seven of the 12 games against Oakland in the season series...The game time was 2 hours and 27 minutes.
- SEATTLE: 7
Jul 8 12:39 AM
- Kyle Seager double to right center scored Ichiro Suzuki, Michael Saunders and John Jaso with two out. Runner on second and Casper Wells due up.
Mariners 7, Athletics 1 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 7 11:27 PM
- Casper Wells one-out, solo Home Run (4) to left. Justin Smoak due up.
Mariners 4, Athletics 1 Top 4, 1 OutJul 7 11:03 PM
- Brendan Ryan double to left scored Casper Wells and Justin Smoak with one out. Runner on second and Dustin Ackley due up.
Mariners 3, Athletics 1 Top 2, 1 OutJul 7 10:37 PM
- Josh Reddick two-out, solo Home Run (20) to right. Yoenis Cespedes due up.
Mariners 1, Athletics 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 7 10:24 PM
- John Jaso triple to center scored Michael Saunders with two out. Runner on third and Kyle Seager due up.
Mariners 1, Athletics 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 7 10:19 PM
- SEATTLE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 7 10:10 PM
- Mariners sign Hart 3:35p
- Mariners acquire Morrison from Marlins 3:30p
- Mariners say hello to Cano Thu
- Report: Marlins ship Morrison to Mariners Wed
- Report: Seattle agrees to terms with Hart Wed
- A's ship Blevins to Washington Wed
- Rockies acquire Anderson from A's Tue
- Rounding Third: Seattle finally gets its man Dec 6
- Report: Mariners, Cano agree on $240 million deal Dec 6
- Mariners ink Bloomquist to two-year deal Dec 5
- A's make Kazmir signing official Dec 4
- A's send Smith to Padres for P Gregerson Dec 3