Cabrera, Giants hand Pirates rare home lossJul 7, 2012 - 4:02 AM
Ryan Theriot ripped an RBI double and knocked in a run with a sacrifice fly, and Hector Sanchez added an RBI base hit in the victory for the Giants, who got back in the win column after being swept by the Washington Nationals earlier in the week.
Barry Zito (7-6) allowed four runs on seven hits and three walks with three strikeouts over five innings to earn the win. Sergio Romo collected his fifth save of the season with a scoreless ninth inning.
"After a tough series in Washington, that's a great way to bounce back," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said. "It was a great performance by the bullpen."
Andrew McCutchen went 3-for-5 with an RBI triple, while Casey McGehee and Pedro Alvarez clubbed solo home runs for the Bucs, who had a four-game winning streak halted.
Erik Bedard (4-10) yielded five runs -- four earned -- on four hits and three walks over just 3 2/3 innings to take the loss. He struck out one hitter.
It's only the fourth loss for the Pirates in their last 20 home games.
After registering no hits and trailing 3-0 through three innings, the Giants finally got their offense in gear in the fourth.
Justin Christian started the five-run frame by working a walk before scoring on a double by Theriot. Cabrera followed by ripping a breaking ball over the wall in left field to tie the game.
Buster Posey worked a walk, moved to second on an infield single, third on a flyout and scored on Sanchez's single to left, putting the Giants ahead. Joaquin Arias gave San Francisco a two-run lead when he laced a line drive off Josh Harrison at shortstop and into left, which allowed Pablo Sandoval to score.
"Even though we had that one bad inning, I thought we played pretty good baseball," Alvarez said. "We don't stop until the final out is made."
McGehee brought the Pirates within one in the fifth when he laced a fastball off Zito into the seats in left-center, but the Giants got it right back in the seventh courtesy of a sacrifice fly by Theriot to extend the lead to 6-4.
Facing Jose Lopez in the eighth, Alvarez ripped a hanging curveball into the seats in right-center to again bring Pittsburgh within one, but Romo retired the side in order in the ninth to preserve the win.
Earlier, the Pirates opened the scoring with a run in the first inning. Harrison and Drew Sutton began the frame with back-to-back singles, and McCutchen knocked home Harrison with a base hit into left field for the first run of the game.
Pittsburgh tacked on two more in the third. McCutchen ripped a triple into the left-center field gap to plate Harrison, who worked a leadoff walk. Neil Walker doubled home McCutchen two batters later to extend the lead to 3-0.
The Pirates have hit at least one extra-base hit in a season-high 37 consecutive games...San Francisco has won 14 of their last 20 games against the Pirates and the first game of a series in 11 of their last 14 sets...San Francisco snapped a three-game road skid and improved to 20-22 away from AT&T Park this season...The Giants plated five runs in an inning for the second time this year.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 6
Jul 6 10:18 PM
- Pedro Alvarez lead-off Home Run (16) to right center. Rod Barajas due up.
Giants 6, Pirates 5 Bot 8, 0 OutsJul 6 9:55 PM
- Ryan Theriot sacrifice fly out to center scored Joaquin Arias with two out. Runner on first and Melky Cabrera due up.
Giants 6, Pirates 4 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 6 9:30 PM
- Casey McGehee one-out, solo Home Run (6) to right center. Neil Walker due up.
Giants 5, Pirates 4 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 6 8:58 PM
- Pablo Sandoval scored on Josh Harrison's fielding error with one out. Joaquin Arias reached first. On the play, Hector Sanchez advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Barry Zito due up.
Giants 5, Pirates 3 Top 4, 1 OutJul 6 8:28 PM
- Melky Cabrera none-out, two-run Home Run (8) to left scored Ryan Theriot. Buster Posey due up.
Giants 3, Pirates 3 Top 4, 0 OutsJul 6 8:13 PM
- Ryan Theriot double to right center scored Justin Christian with none out. Ryan Theriot advances to third on Neil Walker's throwing error. Runner on third and Melky Cabrera due up.
Giants 1, Pirates 3 Top 4, 0 OutsJul 6 8:13 PM
- Neil Walker double to left scored Andrew McCutchen with two out. Runner on second and Pedro Alvarez due up.
Giants 0, Pirates 3 Bot 3, 2 OutsJul 6 8:02 PM
- Andrew McCutchen triple to left center scored Josh Harrison with one out. Runner on third and Casey McGehee due up.
Giants 0, Pirates 2 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 6 8:00 PM
- Andrew McCutchen single to left scored Josh Harrison with none out. On the play, Drew Sutton advances to second. Runners on first and second and Casey McGehee due up.
Giants 0, Pirates 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJul 6 7:21 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 6 7:07 PM
- Pirates sign Morton to extension 4:44p
- Pirates complete Stewart trade, send RHP Haynes to Yanks Wed
- Giants officially re-sign Vogelsong Dec 4
- Pirates pick up Stewart from Yankees Dec 2
- Giants to re-sign Vogelsong Nov 29
- Giants re-sign LHP Lopez to 3-year deal Nov 26
- Pirates and Padres make three-player deal Nov 25
- Giants land Hudson with 2-year deal Nov 19
- Giants land Hudson with 2-year deal Nov 18
- Pirates name Branson hitting coach Nov 18
- Cabrera, McCutchen win MVP awards Nov 14
- Cabrera, McCutchen win MVP awards Nov 14