Headley hits 2 HRs as Padres down PiratesAug 11, 2012 - 5:50 AM
The Pirates used a five-run fourth inning to grab a 7-1 lead, but the Padres responded with six runs in the fifth, tying the game on Headley's three-run blast to right.
Pittsburgh went ahead again in the sixth when Rod Barajas singled home Garrett Jones, but Tony Watson (5-2) failed to hold the lead, issuing a two-out walk to Everth Cabrera before Headley sent his 17th homer of the season over the fence in left field.
"To be honest with you this is probably my favorite place to play," said Headley. "This ballpark is beautiful and I have some family here that I get to see. It's a tremendous ballpark and I see the ball well here."
Brad Brach (1-2) allowed one run over two innings of relief to earn the win for the Padres, who have won five straight games -- one short of a season- high.
Dale Thayer, Luke Gregerson and Huston Street combined to record the final nine outs in order. Street increased his scoreless innings streak to 21 1/3 frames, but appeared to injure his leg while attempting to cover first base on the final out of the game.
Jesus Guzman added a two-run double during the fifth, then crossed the plate on Alexi Amarista's base hit. Amarista began the game with his fifth homer of the year.
The Pirates have now lost 10 straight to the Padres at PNC Park.
"There's not many seasons where you don't have a game or two like this," said Pittsburgh manager Clint Hurdle. "But you find a way to claw back because it's speaks about the character of your club and that's what we have to do."
Travis Snider hit a three-run homer in the fourth and Pedro Alvarez plated a pair with a single to cap the inning.
Jones hit his 17th homer of the season -- a solo shot in the third -- and Starling Marte opened the scoring for Pittsburgh with an RBI single in the second.
Edinson Volquez got the start for San Diego and was charged with six runs on seven hits over 3 1/3 innings.
James McDonald countered with a 4 1/3-inning start for the Pirates, giving up seven runs on seven hits.
The Padres' 10-game win streak at PNC Park is the longest active streak in the major leagues for a team at an opponent's home park.
The Padres are 13-2 over their last 15 games versus the Pirates and are 27-9 all-time at PNC Park...Headley has hit safely in 12 of his last 13 games...Street last allowed a run on June 17 at Oakland.
- SAN DIEGO: 9
Aug 10 10:29 PM
- Dale Thayer starts the inning for the Padres, batting 9th.
Padres 9, Pirates 8 Bot 7, 0 OutsAug 10 9:52 PM
- Rod Barajas single to center scored Garrett Jones with two out. On the play, Pedro Alvarez advances to third. Runners on first and third and Clint Barmes due up.
Padres 7, Pirates 8 Bot 6, 2 OutsAug 10 9:32 PM
- Chris Resop enters the game for the Pirates with none on and one out, batting 9th.
Padres 7, Pirates 7 Top 5, 1 OutAug 10 9:01 PM
- Alexi Amarista single to right scored Jesus Guzman with one out. Runner on first and Everth Cabrera due up.
Padres 4, Pirates 7 Top 5, 1 OutAug 10 8:54 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Jesus Guzman double to center scored Cameron Maybin and John Baker with one out. Runner on second and Alexi Amarista due up.
Padres 3, Pirates 7 Top 5, 1 OutAug 10 8:52 PM
- Pedro Alvarez single to center scored Andrew McCutchen and Garrett Jones with two out. Runner on first and Rod Barajas due up.
Padres 1, Pirates 7 Bot 4, 2 OutsAug 10 8:38 PM
- Travis Snider one-out, three-run Home Run (1) to right center scored Clint Barmes and James McDonald. Andrew McCutchen due up.
Padres 1, Pirates 5 Bot 4, 1 OutAug 10 8:23 PM
- Garrett Jones one-out, solo Home Run (17) to right. Neil Walker due up.
Padres 1, Pirates 2 Bot 3, 1 OutAug 10 8:02 PM
- Starling Marte single to left scored Clint Barmes with two out. On the play, James McDonald advances to second. Runners on first and second and Travis Snider due up.
Padres 1, Pirates 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsAug 10 7:50 PM
- Alexi Amarista lead-off Home Run (5) to right. Everth Cabrera due up.
Padres 1, Pirates 0 Top 1, 0 OutsAug 10 7:06 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 10 7:06 PM
- A's send Smith to Padres for P Gregerson Tue
- Padres agree to deals with Stults, Stauffer Dec 3
- Pirates pick up Stewart from Yankees Dec 2
- Orioles acquire RHP Brad Brach from Padres Nov 25
- Pirates and Padres make three-player deal Nov 25
- Padres add Josh Johnson to rotation Nov 20
- Pirates name Branson hitting coach Nov 18
- Cabrera, McCutchen win MVP awards Nov 14
- Cabrera, McCutchen win MVP awards Nov 14
- Rounding Third: Cabrera eyes second straight AL MVP Award Nov 14
- Francona, Hurdle named managers of the year Nov 12
- Hurdle named NL Manager of the Year Nov 12