Posey pounds the Padres in Giants' winJul 24, 2012 - 6:18 AM
Melky Cabrera and Ryan Theriot each went 3-for-4 with two runs scored for the Giants, who have won eight of their last 10 games. Ryan Vogelsong (8-4) gave up just one run on four hits with three walks and six strikeouts over seven innings to get the win.
"He's been doing it all for us at the plate and behind the plate as always handles this staff great," Vogelsong said of Posey.
Yonder Alonso drove in the only run of the contest for the Padres, who came into the game having won five of six. Clayton Richard (7-11) was touched for seven runs on nine hits over just five innings to take the loss.
The Giants went on top in the first inning. With one out, Theriot doubled and Cabrera followed with an infield single. Posey then brought home one and Pablo Sandoval followed with a walk to load the bases. Angel Pagan then drew a walk to force in one and Joaquin Arias grounded into a fielder's choice that plated another.
Brandon Crawford then hit a fly ball to left that was initially ruled an out as it appeared that Mark Kotsay caught the ball. Crawford was ruled out and both teams went to their dugouts, but the umpires then huddled and determined that Kotsay trapped the ball. Crawford was awarded a single and Sandoval came home for a 4-0 lead.
In the fourth, the Padres got a run when Alonso's sacrifice fly scored Kotsay, who had singled and moved to third on a Yasmani Grandal double.
Posey, though, put the game away in the fifth when he blasted a shot over the wall in right with Theriot and Cabrera on base.
"Backbreaker was Posey's homer," San Diego manager Bud Black said.
San Diego didn't have a man advance past second base after the fourth inning.
San Diego center fielder Alexi Amarista left the game in the seventh with a jammed left thumb...San Francisco has won five of the seven games against San Diego this season...San Francisco batted 5-for-7 with runners in scoring position, while San Diego went 0-for-7 and left seven on base.
- SAN DIEGO: 1
SAN FRANCISCO: 7
Jul 24 12:42 AM
- Pablo Sandoval flied out to center. None on with two outs and Angel Pagan due up.
Padres 1, Giants 7 Bot 5, 2 OutsJul 23 11:51 PM
- Yonder Alonso sacrifice fly to right scored Mark Kotsay. Runner on second with one out and Will Venable due up.
Padres 1, Giants 4 Top 4, 1 OutJul 23 11:23 PM
- Brandon Crawford singled to left scored Pablo Sandoval. On the play, Joaquin Arias advances to second. Runners on first and second with two outs and Ryan Vogelsong due up.
Padres 0, Giants 4 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 23 10:46 PM
- Joaquin Arias grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scored Buster Posey. Angel Pagan out at second, Pablo Sandoval advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Brandon Crawford due up.
Padres 0, Giants 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 23 10:42 PM
- Angel Pagan's one-out, bases loaded walk scored Melky Cabrera. Bases loaded with one out and Joaquin Arias due up.
Padres 0, Giants 2 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 23 10:41 PM
- Buster Posey singled to left scored Ryan Theriot. On the play, Melky Cabrera advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Pablo Sandoval due up.
Padres 0, Giants 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 23 10:32 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 23 10:16 PM
- Zimmermann vies to become majors' first 8-game winner in San Diego 9:30a
- Lincecum shoots for consecutive wins at Coors 9:29a
- Rockies hold on, edge Giants in slugfest 2:18a
- Nats edge Padres in 10 innings 2:02a
- Giants seek another win over Rockies Fri
- Burch hopes for better results in San Diego Fri
- Strasburg shines as Nats down Padres Fri
- Crawford, Giants beat Rockies Fri
- Giants aim to continue dominance of Rockies Thu
- Strasburg tries to get off the schneid in opener with Padres Thu
- Jays sweep Giants Thu
- Padres beat up O's, sweep two-game set Thu