Mets' Niese toes rubber against AstrosMay 1, 2012 - 2:54 PM
An 11-game winner with the Mets last season, Niese began 2012 with consecutive defeats of Atlanta and Philadelphia, in which he allowed seven hits and four runs in 12 2/3 innings of work.
He's subsequently picked up no-decisions in starts against San Francisco and Miami, giving up five runs on 11 hits in 13 innings. The Mets are 3-1 in games he's pitched.
Niese has split a pair of career decisions in three starts against Houston with a 1.80 earned run average in 20 innings.
Another southpaw, Illinois native J.A. Happ, gets the start for Houston.
He's pitched six innings in three of four starts in 2012 and is 1-1 with a pair of no-decisions while allowing 26 hits and 12 runs in 23 innings.
The Astros are 2-2 in games he's pitched.
Happ, who won six times in 28 starts last season, is 2-2 lifetime against New York with a 4.82 ERA across 37 1/3 innings.
He is 26-25 overall as a big-leaguer with a .252 opposition batting average.
On Monday, Jed Lowrie hit a go-ahead RBI single in the eighth inning and the Astros downed the Mets, 4-3.
New York starter R.A. Dickey carried a no-hitter through five innings, but Houston took a 3-0 lead in the sixth on Travis Buck's RBI groundout and Matt Downs' two-run homer.
The Mets tied the game in the seventh against Astros' starter Bud Norris, but Jordan Schafer led off the eighth with a single, stole second and scored on Lowrie's base hit off of Manny Acosta (0-2).
Brett Myers then threw a 1-2-3 ninth to earn his fifth save of the season.
- NEW YORK: 3
May 1 10:51 PM
- J.D. Martinez walk scored J.A. Happ with two out. Bases loaded and Carlos Lee due up.
Mets 3, Astros 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsMay 1 10:12 PM
- Scott Hairston single to left scored Justin Turner with two out. On the play, David Wright advances to second. Runners on first and second and Ike Davis due up.
Mets 3, Astros 5 Top 5, 2 OutsMay 1 9:34 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Lucas Duda struck out swinging to end the inning.
Mets 2, Astros 5 Mid 4May 1 9:12 PM
- Andres Torres single to center scored Justin Turner with two out. On the play, Scott Hairston advances to second. Runners on first and second and Josh Thole due up.
Mets 1, Astros 5 Top 4, 2 OutsMay 1 9:09 PM
- Chris Snyder none-out, three-run Home Run (1) to left scored Brian Bogusevic and Justin Maxwell. J.A. Happ due up.
Mets 0, Astros 5 Bot 2, 0 OutsMay 1 8:34 PM
- Jed Lowrie none-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Jose Altuve. J.D. Martinez due up.
Mets 0, Astros 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsMay 1 8:17 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 2 Outs
May 1 8:09 PM
- Braves hope to stay hot on road as they visit Mets 10:47a
- A's try to remain perfect this season vs. Astros 10:46a
- Martinez's HR, Lyles' arm help Astros secure series Thu
- Reds finish off sweep of Mets with ninth-inning surge Wed
- Shields tries to snap skid as Royals battle Astros Wed
- Aces Wild: Harvey, Latos square off in Citi Field finale Wed
- Royals rally past Astros Wed
- Reds blank Mets Wed
- Reds hope to add to Mets' misery Tue
- Astros, Royals get back to work at Minute Maid Park Tue
- Dominguez helps Astros slip past Royals Tue
- Bruce's blast leads Reds over Mets Tue