Phillies host Astros in matinee affairMay 15, 2012 - 3:25 PM
Lee is 0-1 with a 2.17 earned run average in four starts and spent some time on the disabled list with an oblique strain before returning to action in last Wednesday's 10-6 loss to the New York Mets. Lee did his part by holding the Mets to two runs and five hits in six innings, but the bullpen imploded.
The southpaw has lasted at least six innings in each of his starts this season, but is 0-1 in two trips to the Citizens Bank Park mound. Lee has made three career starts against Houston, going 1-2 with a 6.89 ERA.
Philadelphia hopes Lee can duplicate what Joe Blanton did in Monday's 5-1 win in the series opener. Blanton held the Astros to a run and six hits in seven innings for the win and struck out seven batters. He allowed one walk to push his record to 4-3 on the season. Antonio Bastardo, Chad Qualls and Jonathan Papelbon kept Houston off the board the rest of the way.
Freddy Galvis had three hits and two RBI, Carlos Ruiz ended 2-for-3 with a run scored and an RBI and Placido Polanco became the 17th active player to reach 2,000 career hits with a two-run homer. Polanco also scored three runs.
"I knew I hit it good. I thought it would drop somewhere," Polanco said of his home run in the eighth inning.
The Phillies have won three of four games since getting swept by the New York Mets and have yet to record three wins in a row this season. They will visit the Chicago Cubs for two games after this set.
Houston has lost three straight and six of its last eight games.
Astros starter Lucas Harrell took the loss after surrendering three runs -- two earned -- on five hits in 5 2/3 frames. Carlos Lee went 3-for-4 and Marwin Gonzalez added a pinch-hit homer for the Astros, who went hitless in seven at-bats with runners in scoring position and couldn't solve Blanton.
"He threw the ball well," Astros manager Brad Mills said of Blanton. "It seemed like he was able to throw the breaking ball when he wanted to, and he was spotting his fastball. When you're able to do that, you're going to have a good night, and that's what he did."
After today's game the Astros will return to Space City for an eight-game homestand versus the Brewers, Rangers and Cubs.
Taking the mound Tuesday for Houston could be Jordan Lyles. Lyles, who is on schedule to start on Tuesday for Triple-A Oklahoma City, made one start this season in a 6-5 loss at Cincinnati on April 29 and did not figure into the decision. He allowed three runs in six innings with five strikeouts and three walks, and has a 4.50 ERA.
The right-hander has never faced the Phillies.
The Astros and Phillies are meeting for the first time this season, and Philly won four of six matchups a year ago. The Phils swept a three-game set at Citizens Bank Park last April 1-3.
- HOUSTON: 3
May 15 4:13 PM
- Hunter Pence one-out, solo Home Run 2 (9) to left to end the game.
Astros 3, Phillies 4 Bot 10, 1 OutMay 15 4:13 PM
- J.D. Martinez singled to right. On the play, pinch-runner Brian Bogusevic scored on Hunter Pence's fielding error with two out. Runner on first and Jason Castro due up.
Astros 3, Phillies 3 Top 9, 2 OutsMay 15 3:44 PM
- Carlos Lee single to center scored Jordan Schafer with one out. Runner on first and Chris Johnson due up.
Astros 2, Phillies 3 Top 9, 1 OutMay 15 3:38 PM
- Matt Downs lead-off Home Run (3) to left. Carlos Lee due up.
Astros 1, Phillies 3 Top 7, 0 OutsMay 15 2:45 PM
- Hunter Pence one-out, solo Home Run (8) to right. Placido Polanco due up.
Astros 0, Phillies 3 Bot 6, 1 OutMay 15 2:38 PM
- Brian Schneider two-out, two-run Home Run (1) to right scored John Mayberry. Cliff Lee due up.
Astros 0, Phillies 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsMay 15 1:39 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
May 15 1:07 PM
- Astros acquire RHP Bass from Padres Wed
- Halladay calls it a career Mon
- Houston inks Qualls to 2-year deal Sat
- Astros sign Feldman Dec 6
- Phillies sign catcher Nieves Dec 5
- Phillies acquire Lincoln from Jays for two players Dec 3
- Astros acquire Fowler from Rockies Dec 3
- Crane suing former Astros owner, Comcast and NBC Nov 22
- Phillies re-sign Ruiz to three-year contract Nov 21
- Phillies name McClure pitching coach Nov 21
- Astros to host 2014 Civil Rights Game Nov 19
- Reports: Phillies re-sign Ruiz Nov 18