Hudson helps D-Backs top PadresJun 3, 2012 - 4:46 AM
Hudson (2-1) allowed two runs on five hits and a walk with five strikeouts in Arizona's second win in three games. Hudson, who threw 68 of his 112 pitches for strikes, made his second start since returning from a right shoulder injury.
"I was on a pitch count my first time," Hudson said. "To be able to finally let loose, go out and throw strikes, get early outs, was pretty uplifting for me."
Paul Goldschmidt homered, while J.J. Putz worked a scoreless ninth to earn his 12th save of the season for Arizona.
Joe Thatcher (0-1) gave up the deciding run in the seventh inning on a balk to suffer the loss.
Edinson Volquez gave up two runs on four hits and five walks in a six-inning start for San Diego, which lost for the seventh time in eight games.
Thatcher took the mound for San Diego to start the seventh with the game tied, 2-2, and allowed consecutive one-out singles to Gerardo Parra and Willie Bloomquist to place runners on the corners.
Jason Kubel stepped up next and during his at-bat, Thatcher was called for a balk, allowing Parra to score and Bloomquist to move to second. Third base umpire Brian Gorman called the balk.
"For a tie ball game in that inning to be decided on a balk call, to me it wasn't the right thing to do," Thatcher said.
But Thatcher eventually fanned Kubel and new pitcher Luke Gregerson induced a Goldschmidt groundout to short to end the inning and keep it a 3-2 game.
Arizona added an insurance run in the eighth on Parra's bases-loaded walk off Alex Hinshaw that plated Montero.
Putz then hit Carlos Quentin with a pitch and Chase Headley followed with a base hit to place runners on the corners with two outs in the ninth, but pinch-hitter Jesus Guzman lined out to first base to end the game.
Arizona left a man on second in the first and second innings before finally breaking through in the fourth after loading the bases with no outs on back- to-back walks by Miguel Montero and Chris Young, and a bunt single by Josh Bell.
The Diamondbacks would only get one run, though, as Hudson lifted a one-out sacrifice fly to right field to bring home Montero before Parra went down swinging to end the inning.
San Diego quickly answered in the bottom of the frame when Will Venable led off with a bunt single, stole second and crossed the plate on Cameron Maybin's base hit to right field.
Maybin advanced to second on Parra's throw home on the play and scored the next batter on a Yonder Alonso single to put the Padres on top, 2-1.
Goldschmidt then blasted a solo home run over the left-field wall in the fifth inning to knot the game at two.
Goldschmidt extended his career-best hitting streak to 11 games...Hudson improved to 5-1 in six career starts against the Padres...Arizona has won 13 of the last 19 meetings between the teams...The Diamondbacks went 1-for-13 with runners in scoring position and left 10 men on base...San Diego hit 2- for-4 with runners in scoring position and stranded four.
- ARIZONA: 4
SAN DIEGO: 2
Jun 2 10:26 PM
- Brad Bach enters the game with the bases loaded and two out, replacing Alex Hinshaw, batting 6th.
Diamondbacks 4, Padres 2 Top 8, 2 OutsJun 2 9:49 PM
- With Jason Kubel batting, Gerardo Parra scores on a balk.Willie Bloomquist advances to second on a balk. Runner on second with one out and Jason Kubel at the plate.
Diamondbacks 3, Padres 2 Top 7, 1 OutJun 2 9:14 PM
- Miguel Montero struck out looking to end the inning.
Diamondbacks 2, Padres 2 Mid 5Jun 2 8:44 PM
- Yonder Alonso single to center scored Cameron Maybin. Runner on first with none out and Carlos Quentin due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Padres 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsJun 2 8:30 PM
- Cameron Maybin single to right scored Will Venable. Runner advances to second on the throw with none out and Yonder Alonso due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Padres 1 Bot 4, 0 OutsJun 2 8:27 PM
- Daniel Hudson sacrifice fly to right scored Miguel Montero. Runners on first and second with two out and Gerardo Parra due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Padres 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 2 8:19 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 2 7:23 PM
- McCarthy tries for repeat performance in outing vs. Padres 10:48a
- Cards take series in San Diego; Lyons wins debut Thu
- Rockies close out homestand by whacking D-Backs again Wed
- Cards try for 30th victory in finale with Padres Wed
- Series up for grabs when D'Backs, Rox play rubber match at Coors Wed
- Descalso, Wainwright leads Cards over Padres Wed
- Rox slip by D-Backs in 10 Wed
- Wainwright tries to find win column versus Padres Tue
- Rockies, D'backs resume set at Coors Field Tue
- Marquis, Padres get by Cardinals Tue
- Corbin goes the distance in Diamondbacks' win over Rockies Tue
- Streaking Cards hit the road to battle Padres Mon