Roberts' heroics lifts D'Backs over A'sJun 9, 2012 - 6:34 AM
Oakland jumped out to an early lead with a six-run second inning but Arizona chipped away, getting a two-run homer from Jason Kubel and a solo shot from Paul Goldschmidt along the way.
In the ninth, Chris Young drew a two-out walk and Aaron Hill singled before Roberts lifted a 2-1 sinker from Brian Fuentes (2-2) into a sea of frantically jubilant arms in the left-field stands.
"The main thing is the win. For this team, that's what the goal is. There are no heroes in this game," said Roberts.
J.J. Putz (1-3) tossed a scoreless top of the ninth for the Diamondbacks, who have won six of their last eight games.
Seth Smith had a two-run homer in the sixth inning for the A's, who had just taken three of four from the Rangers.
Daniel Hudson escaped with a no-decision after allowing six runs on eight hits in just 1 2/3 innings. Oakland starter Tommy Milone went five frames, gave up four runs and helped his cause with a two-run single in the second.
Cliff Pennington and Coco Crisp both added RBI doubles in the inning while Josh Reddick and Brandon Inge capped it with run-scoring singles.
The Diamondbacks promptly answered with three runs in the bottom half, sparked by Roberts' one out double. He scored on Willie Bloomquist's base hit and Kubel followed with a two-run blast to center.
Goldschmidt extended his career-high hit streak to 15 games with a solo shot in the fifth but Smith answered with his two-run homer a half-inning later.
Kubel doubled home Bloomquist in the sixth and later scored on Justin Upton's single, setting the stage for the ninth.
"That's a tough one to lose," Athletics manager Bob Melvin said. "It was one of those games where some runs were going to be scored, but we have got to find a way to put it away in the ninth."
Bloomquist has reached safely in 17 straight games...Prior to the game, the Diamondbacks reinstated infielder Lyle Overbay from the paternity list...Inge has 23 RBI in 21 games with the A's.
- OAKLAND: 8
Jun 9 1:25 AM
- Ryan Roberts two-out, three-run Home Run (4) to left scored Chris Young and Aaron Hill to end the game.
Athletics 8, Diamondbacks 9 Bot 9, 2 OutsJun 9 1:24 AM
- Justin Upton single to center scored Jason Kubel with two out. Runner on first and Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Athletics 8, Diamondbacks 6 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 9 12:11 AM
- Grant Balfour enters the game for the Athletics with a runner on second and two out, batting 6th.
Athletics 8, Diamondbacks 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 9 12:09 AM
- Brandon Inge doubled to left. Runner on second with two outs and Brandon Moss due up.
Athletics 8, Diamondbacks 4 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 8 11:53 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt one-out, solo Home Run (8) to left. Miguel Montero due up.
Athletics 6, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 8 11:38 PM
- Jason Kubel two-out, two-run Home Run (6) to center scored Willie Bloomquist. Justin Upton due up.
Athletics 6, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 8 10:37 PM
- Willie Bloomquist single to center scored Ryan Roberts with two out. Runner on first and Jason Kubel due up.
Athletics 6, Diamondbacks 1 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 8 10:34 PM
- Brandon Inge single to center scored Josh Reddick with two out. On the play, Seth Smith advances to second. Runners on first and second and Brandon Moss due up.
Athletics 6, Diamondbacks 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 8 10:26 PM
- Josh Reddick single to center scored Coco Crisp with two out. Runner on first and Seth Smith due up.
Athletics 5, Diamondbacks 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 8 10:20 PM
- Jemile Weeks flied out to left. Runner on first with two outs and Coco Crisp due up.
Athletics 3, Diamondbacks 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 8 10:13 PM
- Cliff Pennington double to right scored Brandon Inge with one out. On the play, Kurt Suzuki advances to third. Runners on second and third and Tom Milone due up.
Athletics 1, Diamondbacks 0 Top 2, 1 OutJun 8 10:10 PM
- OAKLAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 8 9:40 PM
- First-inning burst helps Wolf, Rangers down A's 11:38p
- Rockies close out homestand by whacking D-Backs again 8:45p
- A's shoot for sweep of rival Rangers Wed
- Series up for grabs when D'Backs, Rox play rubber match at Coors Wed
- Straily, Cespedes help A's edge Rangers Wed
- Rox slip by D-Backs in 10 Wed
- Rockies, D'backs resume set at Coors Field Tue
- Darvish targets win No. 8 in matchup with A's Tue
- Smith guides A's over Rangers Tue
- Corbin goes the distance in Diamondbacks' win over Rockies Tue
- Rangers try to stretch AL West lead in opener with A's Mon
- D'Backs, Rockies battle for NL West supremacy at Coors Mon