Darvish dominant as Rangers down AstrosJun 16, 2012 - 5:56 AM
Darvish (8-4) rebounded from a tough start in Oakland with a gem, giving up two runs on seven hits and a pair of walks.
"[Darvish] rocketed the strike zone," Rangers manager Ron Washington said. "He had a good fastball working tonight."
David Murphy picked up two hits and drove in a pair for the Rangers, who have won four of their last five.
The Rangers chased Jordan Lyles (1-3) from the contest in their game-changing fifth inning. In total, he gave up five runs -- three earned -- on eight hits and two walks in 4 1/3 innings.
"It's not fun. I'm not doing anything but hurting my team," said Lyles, who also failed to make it out of the fifth in his previous start.
Texas played without outfielder Josh Hamilton, who is hospitalized with an intestinal virus. He's not expected to return to action until at least Sunday's series finale.
Hamilton began feeling symptoms Friday morning and is expected to be hospitalized 12-24 hours. He's been receiving IV fluids.
Jose Altuve gave the Astros an early lead after working a leadoff walk in the third. After he stole a base, Jed Lowrie drove him home with a base hit.
Texas broke the game open with a five-run fifth inning, in which seven straight Rangers reached base. The rally started with an error on Chris Johnson. Elvis Andrus was hit by a pitch. Michael Young, Adrian Beltre, Nelson Cruz, Murphy and Yorvit Torrealba then followed with five straight singles, hit both hard and soft, to give the Rangers a 5-1 lead.
Justin Maxwell, who had two hits on the night, hit his seventh home run in the seventh inning to bring Houston back within three.
Mitch Moreland responded with a bomb of his own in the eighth.
After giving up a leadoff single, Joe Nathan pitched a scoreless ninth, striking out two, to secure the win.
Darvish became the first pitcher in Rangers history to win his first six starts at home...Darvish is 5-0 with a 2.38 earned run average (nine earned runs in 34 1/3 innings) in his last five home starts...Texas' Mitch Kirkman switched from No. 44 to No. 50 before the game...The Rangers have won nine of their last 12 meetings with Houston...Texas has won five of its last six against the Astros in Arlington...Texas is 7-3 in interleague play.
- HOUSTON: 2
Jun 15 11:11 PM
- Leonys Martin grounded out pitcher to first. None on with one out and Ian Kinsler due up.
Astros 2, Rangers 6 Bot 8, 1 OutJun 15 10:53 PM
- Justin Maxwell two-out, solo Home Run (7) to left center. Jason Castro due up.
Astros 2, Rangers 5 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 15 10:27 PM
- Yorvit Torrealba singled to right scored Nelson Cruz. On the play, David Murphy advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Mitch Moreland due up.
Astros 1, Rangers 5 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 15 9:48 PM
- David Murphy singled to center scored Michael Young and Adrian Beltre. On the play, Murphy advances to second and Nelson Cruz advances to third on Jordan Schafer's thorwing error. Runners on second and third with one out and Yorvit Torrealba due up.
Astros 1, Rangers 4 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 15 9:47 PM
- Adrian Beltre singled to left scored Elvis Andrus. On the play, Michael Young advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Nelson Cruz due up.
Astros 1, Rangers 2 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 15 9:40 PM
- Jed Lowrie singled to right scored Jose Altuve. Runner on first with one out and J.D. Martinez due up.
Astros 1, Rangers 0 Top 3, 1 OutJun 15 8:51 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Jun 15 8:09 PM
- Rangers release P Lowe 1:34p
- Martinez's HR, Lyles' arm help Astros secure series 2:49a
- First-inning burst helps Wolf, Rangers down A's Wed
- Rangers call up Wolf Wed
- Shields tries to snap skid as Royals battle Astros Wed
- A's shoot for sweep of rival Rangers Wed
- Royals rally past Astros Wed
- Straily, Cespedes help A's edge Rangers Wed
- Rangers activate Pierzynski Tue
- Darvish targets win No. 8 in matchup with A's Tue
- Astros, Royals get back to work at Minute Maid Park Tue
- Smith guides A's over Rangers Tue