Beltran, Cardinals continue series with RoyalsJun 16, 2012 - 11:33 AM
Beltran went 2-for-4 last night and his stolen base in the second inning was the 300th of his career. With the steal, he became the first switch-hitter to hit 300 home runs and steal 300 bases.
Over his last five games, Beltran is 11-for-19 with three homers and has driven in three runs. That's raised his average to .301 for the season.
The Cardinals will not only need Beltran's bat and speed today, but will try to forget about the dramatic ending to last night's 3-2 loss.
Jonathan Broxton worked a scoreless ninth inning to earn his 16th save of the year and the 100th of his career, but the Royals nearly blew the lead.
Tyler Greene legged out an infield hit with two outs and then stole second. The throw from catcher Humberto Quintero was low and dribbled toward shortstop, allowing Greene to advance to third. The throw to third from second baseman Chris Getz was wide, however, and third baseman Mike Moustakas chased the ball down and threw home, where Quintero used his right foot to block the plate and applied the tag to end the game.
"I screamed 'No' so loud I lost my voice for like three minutes," Royals manager Ned Yost said about Getz' throw to third. "Just by a stroke of luck it hit that rail into the opening of the dugout and bounced back out and [Moustakas] made a perfect throw."
Vin Mazzaro (3-1) scattered five hits and a walk with four strikeouts.
Jarrod Dyson added two hits and an RBI for the Royals, who won their fourth straight game.
Kyle Lohse (6-2) allowed three runs on 10 hits and two walks over seven innings, snapping a streak of seven straight starts without a loss.
"It was a battle tonight for me. I didn't have very good command of anything," said Lohse. "For as many hits as I gave up, to give up only three runs was an accomplishment tonight."
Bruce Chen toes the rubber today for the Royals. The lefty, who will pitch three days prior to his 35th birthday, is coming off a loss at Pittsburgh on Sunday. In that game, he allowed four hits and three runs over five innings before being lifted for a pinch-hitter.
Prior to that, Chen was on a roll, winning five of six starts and giving up more than three runs just once in that span. He's 1-3 with a 5.24 ERA in nine games (3 starts) when facing the Cardinals.
Joe Kelly gets his second major league start this afternoon. The 24-year-old right-hander scattered seven hits and allowed one run in a no-decisi9on against Cleveland on Sunday. The Cardinals lost that game, 4-1.
St. Louis won four of six from the Royals last season.
- KANSAS CITY: 7
ST. LOUIS: 10
Jun 16 5:56 PM
- Matt Holliday double to right scored Adron Chambers with two out. On the play, Carlos Beltran advances to third. Runners on second and third with Allen Craig due up.
Royals 7, Cardinals 10 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 16 5:42 PM
- Yadier Molina single to center scored Rafael Furcal and Matt Holliday with two out. On the play, Allen Craig advances to second. Runners on first and second with Shane Robinson due up.
Royals 7, Cardinals 9 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 16 5:24 PM
- Matt Holliday single to right scored Daniel Descalso with one out. On the play, Rafael Furcal advances to third. Runners on second and third with Allen Craig due up.
Royals 7, Cardinals 7 Bot 7, 1 OutJun 16 5:13 PM
- Mitchell Boggs enters the game for the Cardinals with a runner on third and two out.
Royals 7, Cardinals 6 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 16 5:00 PM
- Mike Moustakas double to right scored Eric Hosmer with none out. On the play, Jeff Francoeur advances to third. Runners on second and third with Brayan Pena due up.
Royals 5, Cardinals 6 Top 7, 0 OutsJun 16 4:51 PM
- Alex Gordon single to center scored Jarrod Dyson with one out. Runner on first and Chris Getz due up.
Royals 4, Cardinals 6 Top 6, 1 OutJun 16 4:24 PM
- Mike Moustakas ground out to first scored Chris Getz with two out. On the play, Jeff Francoeur advances to second and Eric Hosmer advances to third. Runners on second and third with Brayan Pena due up.
Royals 3, Cardinals 6 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 16 4:02 PM
- Mike Moustakas one-out, solo Home Run (10) to right. Brayan Pena due up.
Royals 2, Cardinals 6 Top 4, 1 OutJun 16 3:32 PM
- Nathan Adcock enters the game for the Royals with a runner on second and two out.
Royals 1, Cardinals 6 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 16 3:07 PM
- Carlos Beltran single to center scored Tyler Greene with two out. Runner on first and Matt Holliday due up.
Royals 1, Cardinals 5 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 16 3:02 PM
- Yadier Molina two-out, two-run Home Run (9) to left scored David Freese. Shane Robinson due up.
Royals 1, Cardinals 4 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 16 2:47 PM
- Allen Craig flied out to center. None on with two outs and David Freese due up.
Royals 1, Cardinals 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsJun 16 2:43 PM
- Mike Moustakas single to center scored Chris Getz with two out. On the play, Jeff Francoeur advances to second. Runners on first and second with Brayan Pena due up.
Royals 1, Cardinals 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 16 2:34 PM
- KANSAS CITY: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 16 2:18 PM
- Angels shoot for sixth straight win in Kansas City 10:31a
- Dodgers return home to face Cards 10:24a
- Angels outlast Royals 12:06a
- Angels hope to remain hot in Kansas City Thu
- Cards take series in San Diego; Lyons wins debut Thu
- Martinez's HR, Lyles' arm help Astros secure series Thu
- Cardinals send Salas to DL, promote Lyons Wed
- Report: Cardinals' Garcia to have season-ending surgery Wed
- Shields tries to snap skid as Royals battle Astros Wed
- Cards try for 30th victory in finale with Padres Wed
- Royals rally past Astros Wed
- Descalso, Wainwright leads Cards over Padres Wed