Pirates continue set in ClevelandJun 16, 2012 - 11:08 AM
In the first game of the series the Indians came away with a 2-0 victory to snap a four game losing streak.
Justin Masterson looked sharp as he put up seven scoreless innings while striking out nine Pittsburgh batters to earn his first win since May 24th. Chris Perez nailed down the victory with his MLB-leading 21st save of the season.
Carlos Santana had an RBI double in the third inning and Michael Brantley extended his major league leading hitting streak to 22 games with an RBI single in the eighth.
James McDonald took the loss for the Pirates despite a strong outing. McDonald pitched six innings and allowed just one run on three hits while striking out five.
Neil Walker and Casey McGehee each went 2-for-4 in the game, but the rest of the Pirates lineup couldn't figure out Masterson and went a combined 1-for-22 with nine strikeouts.
Cleveland will be hoping for another strong pitching performance this afternoon, as its sends Ubaldo Jimenez to the mound.
When Cleveland traded four minor leaguers to Colorado for Jimenez a year ago it was hoping that a change of scenery would return the right-hander to his 2010 form when he went 19-8 with a 2.88 ERA. Thus far, though, Jimenez's time in Cleveland has been disappointing.
After going 4-4 with a 5.10 ERA in 11 starts last season for Cleveland, Jimenez has continued to struggle this season with a 4.91 ERA despite a winning record of 6-4.
The 28-year-old hurler has put together consecutive quality starts, though, and beat St. Louis his last time out, as he scattered five hits and a single run over seven innings while striking out a season-high seven batters.
He's also is 3-1 with a 2.31 ERA in six starts against Pittsburgh and 6-4 with a 3.86 ERA in 13 career interleague starts.
Unlike his counterpart, A.J. Burnett has excelled after being traded. When the Pittsburgh Pirates acquired Burnett from the New York Yankees for a pair of minor leaguers in the offseason they inherited a pitcher who had an ERA over five in each of the previous two seasons, but in Pittsburgh Burnett has returned closer to the form that earned him the five-year $82.5 million contract he signed with the Yankees after the 2008 season.
Other than a disastrous 12-run outing in early May, Burnett has been stellar for the Pirates with a team leading six wins and an ERA of 3.61 which is second for Pittsburgh. Burnett has eight quality starts in 10 total appearances and has gone at least seven innings in five of those outings.
Most recently Burnett pitched a solid 7 1/3 innings, allowing two earned runs and striking out six to earn a win over Kansas City. The win extended Burnett's streak of consecutive starts with a win to five.
Burnett has not been very good in his career against the Cleveland Indians, going 3-6 with a 4.55 ERA in 10 career starts.
The Indians swept the Pirates in last year's series.
- PITTSBURGH: 9
Jun 16 7:09 PM
- Pedro Alvarez two-out, two-run Home Run 2 (10) to right center scored Casey McGehee. Jose Tabata due up.
Pirates 9, Indians 2 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 16 6:56 PM
- Casey McGehee singled to right scoring Neil Walker and Matt Hague with two out. Runner on first and Pedro Alvarez due up.
Pirates 7, Indians 2 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 16 6:56 PM
- Joe Smith enters the game for the Indians with a runner on first and one out.
Pirates 5, Indians 2 Top 7, 1 OutJun 16 6:09 PM
- Casey McGehee none-out, two-run Home Run (3) to left scored Garrett Jones. Pedro Alvarez due up.
Pirates 4, Indians 2 Top 6, 0 OutsJun 16 5:38 PM
- Casey Kotchman one-out, solo Home Run (5) to right. Lonnie Chisenhall due up.
Pirates 2, Indians 2 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 16 5:29 PM
- Garrett Jones singled to right scoring Neil Walker with one out. On the play, Andrew McCutchen advances to second. Runners on first and second and Casey McGehee due up.
Pirates 2, Indians 1 Top 3, 1 OutJun 16 4:54 PM
- Pedro Alvarez lead-off Home Run (9) to right. Jose Tabata due up.
Pirates 1, Indians 1 Top 2, 0 OutsJun 16 4:33 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera one-out, solo Home Run (6) to right. Jason Kipnis due up.
Pirates 0, Indians 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 16 4:24 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 16 4:07 PM
- Cleveland agrees to terms with INF Adams 1:01p
- Pirates sign Morton to extension Wed
- Pirates complete Stewart trade, send RHP Haynes to Yanks Wed
- A's make Kazmir signing official Dec 4
- Report: A's to sign Kazmir to 2-year deal Dec 3
- Pirates pick up Stewart from Yankees Dec 2
- Pirates and Padres make three-player deal Nov 25
- Indians make it official with Murphy Nov 25
- Indians sign Zagurski to minor league deal Nov 22
- Report: Indians reach deal with OF Murphy Nov 20
- Pirates name Branson hitting coach Nov 18
- Cabrera, McCutchen win MVP awards Nov 14