Teixeira's double lifts Yankees in 14thJun 17, 2012 - 1:22 AM Washington, DC (Sports Network) - Mark Teixeira's two-run double in the 14th inning helped the New York Yankees win a marathon game with the Washington Nationals, 5-3, and end an interesting streak that had lasted all season.
Not only did the Yankees win their eighth straight, but they earned their first victory of 2012 without hitting a home run. Coincidentally, the game where the streak ended was their longest of the 2012 season.
New York moved to 1-12 this season when failing to hit a home run.
Andy Pettitte allowed two runs in seven innings in a solid start, and former starter Freddy Garcia (1-2) earned the first relief win of his career with two scoreless innings.
Ian Desmond hit a game-tying home run in the eighth for Washington before a controversial call sent the game to extra innings.
With Tyler Moore on second, Adam LaRoche laced a two-out single to right, and Moore was called out at the plate on a throw home. Replays showed Moore was clearly safe, but the missed call ended up sending the game into extras.
Phenom Bryce Harper had his worst game in the majors for the Nationals, striking out five times in an 0-for-7 effort. With two runners on in the 14th, Harper grounded out to end the game.
"I've never seen him swing at balls out of the zone and he was chasing balls," said Nationals manager Davey Johnson about Harper. "He got in that mode of trying to make something happen, but that's part of the youth."
Jordan Zimmermann started and allowed three runs -- two earned -- in six innings, and Brad Lidge (0-1) continued his struggles by allowing two runs in the 14th.
The Nationals put together the first threat of extra innings after Derek Jeter bobbled a routine ground ball to begin the 13th. Ryan Zimmerman ended up on third with two outs, but Garcia induced a groundout from Roger Bernadina to extend the game.
Jayson Nix started the top of the 14th with an infield single against Lidge, stole second and went to third on Jeter's ground ball single. Two batters later, Teixeira lofted a Lidge offering down the line in right, scoring both runners easily.
"I knew it wasn't going to be out but I just wanted it to stay fair," said Teixeira about his game-winning hit. "I was sitting on a slider the entire at- bat and I got one to hit, so it was a good time for that double."
Rafael Soriano allowed two Washington runners to reach in the home half, but got Harper to finish his miserable afternoon with an easy groundout to second for his 12th save.
The Nats opened the scoring in the second with Jesus Flores' broken-bat, two- run double, but the Yankees used a Washington miscue to get on the board in the fourth.
With runners on the corners and two outs, Eric Chavez sent a routine ground ball to Desmond, who couldn't handle it at shortstop. One run scored to cut New York's deficit in half, and the Yankees took the lead in the sixth on a Raul Ibanez RBI groundout and a Chavez two-out RBI double.
The Yanks held the lead until the eighth, when Cory Wade relieved Pettitte and yielded a two-out homer to Desmond, his 10th.
Yankees outfielder Nick Swisher left the game with a left thigh contusion after being tagged out at the plate. He finished with two hits...New York third baseman Alex Rodriguez was given the day off, but pinch-hit during the game...In 14 innings, the teams totaled 17 hits and 14 walks...The Yankees didn't have a hit with runners in scoring position until two in the 14th...Pettitte struck out Harper three times, the first individual pitcher to do so since Harper's debut.
- NEW YORK: 5
Jun 16 5:56 PM
- Mark Teixeira double to right scored Jayson Nix and Derek Jeter. On the play, Mark Teixeira advances to third on the throw. Runner on third with one out and Robinson Cano due up.
Yankees 5, Nationals 3 Top 14, 1 OutJun 16 5:39 PM
- Tyler Moore walked. Runner on first with two outs and Ross Detwiler due up.
Yankees 3, Nationals 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 16 3:40 PM
- Eric Chavez doubled to right scoring Russell Martin with two out. Runner on second and Andy Pettitte due up.
Yankees 3, Nationals 2 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 16 2:52 PM
- Raul Ibanez grounded out second to first scoring Robinson Cano with one out. On the play, Nick Swisher advances to third. Runner on third and Russell Martin due up.
Yankees 2, Nationals 2 Top 6, 1 OutJun 16 2:47 PM
- Ian Desmond fielding error scored Nick Swisher with two out. Eric Chavez reached first. Runners on first and second with Andy Pettitte due up.
Yankees 1, Nationals 2 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 16 2:16 PM
- Jesus Flores doubled to left scoring Michael Morse and Tyler Moore with two out. Runner on second and Jordan Zimmermann due up.
Yankees 0, Nationals 2 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 16 1:35 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 16 1:06 PM
- A's ship Blevins to Washington 2:33p
- Pirates complete Stewart trade, send RHP Haynes to Yanks 12:29p
- Yankees finalize Ellsbury, Kuroda deals Sat
- Report: Beltran joins Yankees for 3 years, $45 million Fri
- Yankees sign utility man Johnson to one-year deal Fri
- Nationals reach deal with McLouth Fri
- Rounding Third: Seattle finally gets its man Dec 6
- Report: Mariners, Cano agree on $240 million deal Dec 6
- Yankees introduce McCann Dec 5
- Twins land Hughes with $24 million deal Dec 5
- Yankees introduce McCann Dec 5
- Rounding Third: Yanks get back to business Dec 4