Orioles' Hammel one-hits BravesJun 17, 2012 - 3:04 AM
Hammel (7-2) was seven outs away from a no-hitter, but Jason Heyward punched a single to left with two outs in the seventh to break it up. In all, the 29- year-old righty walked two and struck out eight to notch his first career shutout.
"I was just kind of feeling my way through the first few innings and then obviously we carried it on and I found a pretty good groove," said Hammel.
Brian Roberts went 2-for-4 with three RBI while Mark Reynolds had two RBI in the win for the Orioles, who bounced back after losing the opener of this series and have now won six of their last seven games.
Brandon Beachy (5-5) left in the fourth with right elbow soreness and will have an MRI as soon as one can be scheduled. He gave up a run on a walk with five strikeouts in 3 2/3 innings for the Braves, who have dropped five of six.
Heyward's single not only broke up the no-hitter, but it also moved Dan Uggla to third. Uggla had reached with a two-out walk, but Hammel induced Eric Hinske into an inning-ending fly out, then retired the final six batters of the game in succession.
"You could tell that he had his stuff going," said Uggla. "With our lineup, it's hard to be like 'We're gonna get no-hit,' but he definitely had it going."
Beachy issued a free pass to Chris Davis before exiting with two down in the fourth and the Orioles quickly capitalized.
Anthony Varvaro entered and loaded the bases with a pair of walks, then gave up Reynolds' two-run single to left.
Roberts made it 3-0 with a base hit in the fifth, then capped the scoring with a two-run single in the seventh.
It was the second complete game of Hammel's career. His first complete game came in 2009 as a member of the Rockies. This was the Orioles' first no-hit shutout since Mike Mussina turned the trick in 2000..Beachy officially left the game with a reoccurrence of right elbow soreness.
- BALTIMORE: 5
Jun 16 9:40 PM
- Brian Roberts single to right scored Wilson Betemit and Steve Pearce with two out. Runner on first and J.J. Hardy due up.
Orioles 5, Braves 0 Top 7, 2 OutsJun 16 8:59 PM
- Brian Roberts single to left scored Steve Pearce with two out. Brian Roberts thrown out at second. None on with two outs and J.J. Hardy due up.
Orioles 3, Braves 0 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 16 8:31 PM
- Mark Reynolds single to left scored Chris Davis and Adam Jones with two out. On the play, Matt Wieters advances to second. Runners on first and second and Wilson Betemit due up.
Orioles 2, Braves 0 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 16 8:19 PM
- BALTIMORE: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 16 7:16 PM
- Orioles Gonzalez reinstated from DL 4:02p
- Twins rely on Pelfrey in Atlanta 10:50a
- Yankees send Hughes to hill at Camden Yards 10:40a
- Johnson blows third straight save as Yanks top O's 1:24a
- Teheran, Braves stifle Twins Tue
- Twins hope to recover in rare trip to Atlanta Mon
- Orioles hope to end slide in matchup with CC, Yanks Mon
- Braves overtake Dodgers with late surge Sun
- Moore wins major league-best eighth game as Rays sweep O's Sun
- Minor attempts to pitch Braves to sweep of Dodgers Sun
- Moore tries to win ninth straight decision in Camden finale Sun
- Late homers rally Braves past Dodgers Sun