Ortiz, Aviles power Red Sox past reeling MarlinsJun 21, 2012 - 7:07 AM
Will Middlebrooks contributed a two-run blast and Cody Ross clocked in with a three-run double for the Red Sox, who have won the first two in the set and six of seven overall thanks to a season-high in runs scored.
Felix Doubront (8-3) was the beneficiary of the outburst, winning despite allowing nine hits and four runs over six innings.
"My teammates scored a lot of runs to help me and in this kind of situation where I give up runs too, that helps me," said Doubront. "We're a great team."
The victory pulled Boston out of the AL East basement, moving ahead of Toronto, which lost at Milwaukee.
Gaby Sanchez knocked in a pair, while John Buck and Logan Morrison both went deep for the Marlins, who dropped their 12th game in the last 14.
"We just need to find a way to win," Morrison said. "We've got to find a way to come out of it and just get one."
Ricky Nolasco (6-6) was tagged in defeat for nine hits and nine runs over just 3 1/3 frames.
The Red Sox broke open a close game with a six-run fourth. Aviles singled to start, moved to third on a Daniel Nava hit, then scored on a Ryan Kalish single. Adrian Gonzalez followed with a hit to load the bases and Ortiz launched his round-tripper to right for an 11-4 contest. After a Ross fly out, Saltalamacchia cleared the wall in deep center for an eight-run margin.
Nick Punto scored on a wild pitch in the fifth for a nine-run game.
Buck greeted Clayton Mortensen with a seventh-inning solo homer, but Middlebrooks countered with a two-run shot in the home eighth and the hosts led 15-5.
Mark Melancon ended the madness by turning in a 1-2-3 ninth.
Giancarlo Stanton's first-inning double-play grounder gave Miami its initial run in the first inning, and it was 2-0 for the visitors in the second as Justin Ruggiano hit a leadoff double and later scored on a Sanchez groundout.
The Sox moved ahead for good in the home half when Aviles cleared the Green Monster for a three-run homer. Saltalamacchia and Kevin Youkilis reached with back-to-back two-out base hits before the blast.
Boston went up 6-2 in the third. Nava and Kalish singled and Ortiz was given a free pass ahead of a bases-clearing double from Ross.
Morrison began the top of the fourth with a homer, then Sanchez singled in Ruggiano for a 6-4 game.
Since interleague play began in 1997, the Sox boast the fourth-best record at 158-121 and lead the Majors with a 113-63 mark since 2003...The slam by Ortiz was his 11th career homer with the sacks full, and was his 396th career home run, tying him with Joe Carter for 52nd on the all-time list...Red Sox second baseman Dustin Pedroia was scratched due to discomfort in his right thumb...Nolasco went 4-2 with a 4.04 earned run average in his first eight interleague starts, but over 10 starts since then, he is just 2-8...Game-time temperature was a scorching 96 degrees.
- MIAMI: 5
Jun 20 10:24 PM
- Will Middlebrooks two-out, two-run Home Run (7) to left scored Jarrod Saltalamacchia. Mike Aviles due up.
Marlins 5, Red Sox 15 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 20 10:14 PM
- John Buck lead-off Home Run (5) to left. Donovan Solano due up.
Marlins 5, Red Sox 13 Top 7, 0 OutsJun 20 9:42 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez advances to second. Ryan Kalish advances to third. Nick Punto scored on a wild pitch. Runners on second and third and with one out and David Ortiz at the plate.
Marlins 4, Red Sox 13 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 20 9:18 PM
- Jarrod Saltalamacchia two-out, solo Home Run (13) to center. Kevin Youkilis due up.
Marlins 4, Red Sox 12 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 20 8:44 PM
- David Ortiz one-out, Grand Slam (18) to right scored Daniel Nava, Ryan Kalish and Adrian Gonzalez. Cody Ross due up.
Marlins 4, Red Sox 11 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 20 8:41 PM
- Ryan Kalish singled to second scored Mike Aviles. On the play, Daniel Nava advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Adrian Gonzalez due up.
Marlins 4, Red Sox 7 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 20 8:33 PM
- Gaby Sanchez singled to center scored Justin Ruggiano. Runner on first with two outs and John Buck due up.
Marlins 4, Red Sox 6 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 20 8:19 PM
- Justin Ruggiano tripled to center. Runner on third with none out and Omar Infante due up.
Marlins 3, Red Sox 6 Top 4, 0 OutsJun 20 8:11 PM
- Cody Ross doubled to left scored Daniel Nava, Ryan Kalish and David Ortiz. Runner on second with one out and Jarrod Saltalamacchia due up.
Marlins 2, Red Sox 6 Bot 3, 1 OutJun 20 8:04 PM
- Mike Aviles two-out, three-run Home Run (9) to left scored Jarrod Saltalamacchia and Kevin Youkilis. Nick Punto due up.
Marlins 2, Red Sox 3 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 20 7:44 PM
- Gaby Sanchez grounded out third to first scored Justin Ruggiano. On the play, Omar Infante advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and John Buck due up.
Marlins 2, Red Sox 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 20 7:34 PM
- Giancarlo Stanton grounded into a double play, second to short to first scored Jose Reyes. On the play, Hanley Ramirez out at second. None on with two outs and Logan Morrison due up.
Marlins 1, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 20 7:17 PM
- MIAMI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 20 7:11 PM
- Peavy puts perfect home record on the line vs. Marlins 9:58a
- Lester seeks to rebound, extend success versus Indians 7:30a
- Keppinger, White Sox beat Marlins in extras 3:10a
- Lackey shines as Red Sox crush Tribe 2:38a
- Red Sox place Middlebrooks, Victorino on DL Fri
- Masterson hopes to keep Indians rolling in Boston Fri
- Danks set to make season debut versus Marlins Fri
- Tribe rips Red Sox as Francona returns to Boston Thu
- Tribe try to get back on track, as Francona returns to Fenway Thu
- Buchholz, Red Sox down ChiSox Thu
- Lee's SO lifts Phillies in Miami Wed
- Red Sox try to avoid the brooms in Chicago Wed