Rollins, Phillies blast PiratesJun 26, 2012 - 4:42 AM
Carlos Ruiz went 3-for-5 with three runs scored while Hunter Pence added two hits, an RBI and a run scored for the Phillies, who were coming off a pair of losses to Tampa Bay in a Sunday doubleheader.
Joe Blanton (7-6) gave up three runs -- two earned -- on seven hits with a walk and eight strikeouts over seven innings to win his third straight decision.
"The guys helped me out early and it allows you to make some mistakes," said Blanton. "You can go right at guys more and if you give up a run it's not too bad because you know you have a lead."
Jose Tabata hit a solo home run and scored twice while Andrew McCutchen and Clint Barmes each drove in a run for the Pirates, who have dropped their past two.
Jeff Karstens (0-2) was touched for seven runs -- six earned -- on 11 hits over just five innings. He made his first appearance on the mound since April 17 as he was suffering from right shoulder inflammation and a hip ailment.
Thanks to three errors from the Pirates in the first inning, the Phillies put four runs on the board. Rollins led off the inning with a double down the first base line and moved to third on Juan Pierre's sac bunt. Pence followed with a single to score Rollins. Ruiz then punched a single to right that saw Tabata' throw to third go high. Pedro Alvarez was able to get the ball, but he then threw it away himself as his toss to second went into the outfield, allowing Pence to race home.
Shane Victorino then singled to center to plate Ruiz and came home himself as a single to right from Placido Polanco saw Tabata try to get Victorino at third, but the ball went wild again and it was a 4-0 game.
"We didn't defend the ball in that first inning," said Pittsburgh manager Clint Hurdle. "That complicated things a lot and it put us in an early hole."
The Pirates got one back in the third on Tabata's one-out, solo homer to right, but the Phillies answered in the bottom of the inning on an RBI single from Polanco that scored Ruiz.
Pittsburgh scored another in the fourth when Neil Walker led off with a double and scored later in the inning on an RBI single from Barmes, but Rollins made it a 7-2 game in the bottom of the inning when, with Mike Fontenot on base, he crushed a pitch off the Budweiser sign in right field for his eighth homer of the year.
McCutchen singled home Tabata in the fifth, but that was it for the Pirates offense as they managed just two singles and a walk for the rest of the game and Ty Wigginton's bases loaded walk in the seventh gave the Phils a five-run lead.
Pittsburgh catcher Rod Barajas left the game in the second inning with a bone bruise to his left knee...Karstens was activated from the disabled list before the game and the team optioned pitcher Bryan Morris to Triple-A Indianapolis....The Phillies placed catcher Brian Schneider on the 15-day disabled list with a right ankle sprain and called up catcher Erik Kratz from Triple-A Lehigh Valley on Monday...Philadelphia has won six of the last eight against Pittsburgh...Blanton improved to 2-1 in six games against the Pirates...It was Karstens' first decision in seven games against Philadelphia.
- PITTSBURGH: 3
Jun 25 10:01 PM
- Ty Wigginton walked scoring Carlos Ruiz with none out. Bases loaded and Mike Fontenot due up.
Pirates 3, Phillies 8 Bot 7, 0 OutsJun 25 9:28 PM
- Andrew McCutchen singled to center scoring Jose Tabata with one out. Runner on first and Garrett Jones due up.
Pirates 3, Phillies 7 Top 5, 1 OutJun 25 8:35 PM
- Jimmy Rollins one-out, two-run Home Run (8) to right scored Mike Fontenot. Juan Pierre due up.
Pirates 2, Phillies 7 Bot 4, 1 OutJun 25 8:23 PM
- Clint Barmes singled to right scoring Neil Walker with two out. On the throw, Barmes advanced to second. Runner on second and Jeff Karstens due up.
Pirates 2, Phillies 5 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 25 8:16 PM
- Placido Polanco singled to center scoring Carlos Ruiz with two out. Runner on first and Ty Wigginton due up.
Pirates 1, Phillies 5 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 25 8:05 PM
- Jose Tabata one-out, solo Home Run (3) to right. Andrew McCutchen due up.
Pirates 1, Phillies 4 Top 3, 1 OutJun 25 7:55 PM
- Placido Polanco singled to right. On the play, Jose Tabata's throwing error scored Shane Victorino with one out. Runner on second and Ty Wigginton due up.
Pirates 0, Phillies 4 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 25 7:32 PM
- Carlos Ruiz singled to right. On the play, Jose Tabata's throwing error scored Hunter Pence with one out. Pedro Alvarez's throwing error advanced Carlos Ruiz to third. Runner on third and Shane Victorino due up.
Pirates 0, Phillies 2 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 25 7:28 PM
- Hunter Pence singled to right scoring Jimmy Rollins with one out. Runner on first and Carlos Ruiz due up.
Pirates 0, Phillies 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJun 25 7:21 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 25 7:07 PM
- Halladay calls it a career Mon
- Phillies sign catcher Nieves Thu
- Phillies acquire Lincoln from Jays for two players Dec 3
- Pirates pick up Stewart from Yankees Dec 2
- Pirates and Padres make three-player deal Nov 25
- Phillies re-sign Ruiz to three-year contract Nov 21
- Phillies name McClure pitching coach Nov 21
- Pirates name Branson hitting coach Nov 18
- Reports: Phillies re-sign Ruiz Nov 18
- Phils sign four to minor league deals Nov 15
- Cabrera, McCutchen win MVP awards Nov 14
- Cabrera, McCutchen win MVP awards Nov 14