Braves back Hudson in rout of D-BacksJun 27, 2012 - 3:37 AM
Hudson (6-3) allowed one run on seven hits and a walk with seven strikeouts to earn the victory. Anthony Varvaro finished off the rout with a clean ninth inning for the Braves, who snapped a brief two-game skid.
"It's a good way to get the homestand started," Hudson said. "We haven't played particularly well at home this year. Hopefully we finish the first half on a good note."
Michael Bourn crushed a solo home run among his two hits and scored twice. Freddie Freeman had three hits, including an RBI double, and Andrelton Simmons went 2-for-4 with an RBI in the victory. Chipper Jones contributed three hits for Atlanta.
Daniel Hudson (3-2) was rocked for five runs on seven hits with three strikeouts in just 1 2/3 innings. Jason Kubel provided the only offense with a home run for the Diamondbacks, who had their four-game winning streak halted.
Atlanta struck first in its first at-bat when Bourn stroked a 93-mile-per-hour fastball deep and over the wall in straightaway center field to give the Braves a lead they would not relinquish.
The Braves pushed across four more runs in their next at-bat. Back-to-back doubles by Jones and Freeman plated the second run of the game and Simmons followed with a base hit to bring home Freeman, making it a 3-0 game. Jason Heyward added a sacrifice fly later in the frame to widen the margin to 4-0 before a Martin Prado single ended the night for Daniel Hudson.
Josh Collmenter was summoned from the bullpen to face Brian McCann, who ripped a base hit into center to score Bourn for a 5-0 cushion.
Arizona got on the board in the third when Kubel got a hold of a high sinker from Tim Hudson and sent it high and deep over the wall in right-center field to cut the deficit to 5-1. It was only the third home run Tim Hudson has allowed this season.
"He was pretty tough," Kubel said of Tim Hudson's effort. "That might have been the only ball up I saw all day. He made it difficult for us."
The Braves extended the lead to 7-1 with two runs in the seventh. Dan Uggla was hit by a pitch to start the inning, moved to second on a balk by D-Backs reliever Jonathan Albaladejo. A Jones fly out advanced Uggla to third before he crossed home on a fielder's choice from Freeman. Simmons then doubled to right, and a sac fly by Tim Hudson plated Freeman.
McCann struck again for the Braves to cap the scoring in the eighth when he laced a line drive to right field, allowing Heyward to score from second.
Atlanta kicked off a season-long, 10-game homestand on Tuesday in which it will also face the Nationals and Cubs...Tim Hudson owns a 28-9 record in 57 games -- 56 starts -- against teams from the NL West...It was Simmons' ninth multi-hit game of the season...It was Jones' first three-hit game since May 5 against the Colorado Rockies...17 hits matched a season-high for a nine-inning game for Atlanta...Arizona went 0-for-4 with runners in scoring position and stranded six on base.
- ARIZONA: 1
Jun 26 10:12 PM
- Brian McCann single to right scored Jason Heyward with one out. Runner on first and Dan Uggla due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Braves 8 Bot 8, 1 OutJun 26 9:57 PM
- Tim Hudson sacrifice fly to center scored Freddie Freeman with two out. On the play, Andrelton Simmons advances to third. Runner on third and Michael Bourn due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Braves 7 Bot 7, 2 OutsJun 26 9:37 PM
- Freddie Freeman grounded into a fielder's choice scored Dan Uggla with one out. Runner on first and Andrelton Simmons due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Braves 6 Bot 7, 1 OutJun 26 9:34 PM
- Jason Kubel two-out, solo Home Run (11) to right. Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Braves 5 Top 3, 2 OutsJun 26 8:22 PM
- Brian McCann single to center scored Michael Bourn with two out. On the play, Martin Prado advances to second. Runners on first and second and Dan Uggla due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Braves 5 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 26 8:13 PM
- Jason Heyward sacrifice fly to right scored Andrelton Simmons with two out. Runner on first and Martin Prado due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Braves 4 Bot 2, 2 OutsJun 26 8:03 PM
- Andrelton Simmons single to right scored Freddie Freeman with none out. On the play, Andrelton Simmons advances to second on the throw. Runner on second and Tim Hudson due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Braves 3 Bot 2, 0 OutsJun 26 7:56 PM
- Freddie Freeman double to left scored Chipper Jones with none out. Runner on second and Andrelton Simmons due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Braves 2 Bot 2, 0 OutsJun 26 7:54 PM
- Michael Bourn lead-off Home Run (7) to center. Jason Heyward due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Braves 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJun 26 7:27 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Jun 26 7:13 PM
- Twins rely on Pelfrey in Atlanta 10:50a
- Rockies, D'backs resume set at Coors Field 10:44a
- Corbin goes the distance in Diamondbacks' win over Rockies 1:26a
- Teheran, Braves stifle Twins Tue
- Twins hope to recover in rare trip to Atlanta Mon
- D'Backs, Rockies battle for NL West supremacy at Coors Mon
- Nolasco helps Marlins avoid sweep Sun
- Braves overtake Dodgers with late surge Sun
- Minor attempts to pitch Braves to sweep of Dodgers Sun
- D'backs rely on Miley in Miami finale Sun
- McCarthy gets first win following surgery Sun
- Late homers rally Braves past Dodgers Sun