Orioles seek another win over TribeJun 30, 2012 - 3:17 PM
The Orioles snapped a three-game skid on Friday with their 9-8 victory over the Tribe in an exciting contest. Matt Wieters and Xaxier Avery both hit key home runs to help Baltimore pick up the much-needed victory.
Baltimore had scored only 23 runs in its past nine games before Friday's outburst. They also had gone 3-for-52 with runners in scoring position before Weiters's three-run home run in the sixth inning on Friday.
"I was so proud of the guys tonight," manager Buck Showalter said. "They just kept grinding. They're not going to be denied."
Wilson Betemit extended his hitting streak to nine games by going 2-for-4 with a double and an RBI on Friday.
Dana Eveland will make his second start of the season today for the Orioles.
The southpaw allowed three runs on five hits and six walks in six innings to the Rays during his only start of the season on May 11. Eveland has been very efficient out of the bullpen, posting a 2.57 ERA in 10 appearances as Baltimore's long reliever. How the left-hander performs today could have a big impact on whether he will serve as a starter or reliever.
Eveland is 2-0 with a 1.50 ERA in two starts - both with Oakland - against the Indians.
Friday's loss was the sixth in seven games for the Indians despite a season- high 16 hits. Cleveland is in danger of dropping below .500 for the first time since they were 3-4 in the early stages of the season.
"Everything has been blown out of proportion," Acta said prior to Thursday's game. "We just won four in a row before we lost these five in a row. It's something that you have to keep in perspective and know that every team goes through it.
"It's about staying positive, sticking together and just making sure you do what you're supposed to do and not panic and try to do too much."
The Indians will give Josh Tomlin another try today after his rough outing on Monday. The right-hander was pulled after only three innings in which he allowed the Yankees to score six runs and belt three home runs on six hits. It was the second time in three starts Tomlin surrendered six runs as his ERA jumped up to an unimpressive 5.70 on the season. He is 2-1 with a 5.06 ERA in three career starts against the Orioles.
"We were able to string some hits together," Kotchman said. "We just came up a little short there at the end."
Shortstop Asdrubal Cabrera has gone 4-for-11 with two home runs and four RBI in the opening two games of the series for Cleveland. Outfielder Shin-Soo Choo has also been successful in the series so far, going 4-for-8 at the plate with a home run and three RBI.
Cleveland won five of its seven matchups with the Orioles last season.
- CLEVELAND: 11
Jun 30 7:32 PM
- Lou Marson single to right scored Jose Lopez. On the play, Casey Kotchman advances to second and Michael Brantley advances to third. Bases loaded with two out and Aaron Cunningham due up.
Indians 11, Orioles 5 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 30 7:23 PM
- Matt Wieters ground into a fielder's choice, short to second scored Wilson Betemit. Chris Davis out at second. Runner on first with two out and Mark Reynolds due up.
Indians 10, Orioles 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 30 6:36 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo single to right scored Lou Marson. Runner on first with two out and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Indians 10, Orioles 4 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 30 6:21 PM
- Shelley Duncan lead-off Home Run (5) to left. Casey Kotchman due up.
Indians 9, Orioles 4 Top 6, 0 OutsJun 30 6:12 PM
- Michael Brantley grounded into a fielder's choice, pitcher, second to short. On the play, Jose Lopez out at second to end the inning.
Indians 8, Orioles 4 Mid 5Jun 30 6:04 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera double to right scored Shin-Soo Choo. Runner on second with two out and Jason Kipnis due up.
Indians 7, Orioles 4 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 30 5:58 PM
- Chris Davis none-out, three-run Home Run (13) to right scored Adam Jones and Wilson Betemit. Matt Wieters due up.
Indians 5, Orioles 4 Bot 4, 0 OutsJun 30 5:44 PM
- Jose Lopez single to short scored Asdrubal Cabrera. Runner on first with two out and Michael Brantley due up.
Indians 5, Orioles 1 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 30 5:33 PM
- Jason Kipnis ground out second to first scored Shin-Soo Choo. On the play, Asdrubal Cabrera advances to second. Runner on second with two out and Jose Lopez due up.
Indians 4, Orioles 1 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 30 5:28 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera single to left scored Lou Marson. On the play, Shin-Soo Choo advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Jason Kipnis due up.
Indians 3, Orioles 1 Top 4, 1 OutJun 30 5:24 PM
- Xavier Avery doubled to right. On the play, Ryan Flaherty advances to third. Runners on second and third with two out and J.J. Hardy due up.
Indians 2, Orioles 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 30 5:13 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo two-out, solo Home Run (8) to left. Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Indians 2, Orioles 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 30 4:38 PM
- Michael Brantley walked. Bases loaded with one out and Shelley Duncan due up.
Indians 1, Orioles 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 30 4:23 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 30 4:17 PM
- Orioles, Webb agree on 2-year deal Tue
- Orioles sign Peguero Sat
- A's make Kazmir signing official Dec 4
- Report: A's to sign Kazmir to 2-year deal Dec 3
- A's add closer Johnson in trade with O's Dec 3
- Orioles claim INF Phelps off waivers Nov 25
- Orioles acquire RHP Brad Brach from Padres Nov 25
- Indians make it official with Murphy Nov 25
- Indians sign Zagurski to minor league deal Nov 22
- Report: Indians reach deal with OF Murphy Nov 20
- O's sign reliever Escalona Nov 20
- Francona, Hurdle named managers of the year Nov 12