Indians rout OriolesJul 1, 2012 - 1:36 AM
Jose Lopez had a career-high five hits, Lou Marson had a career-high four hits and fell a homer shy of the cycle, and the Indians pounded out a season-best 19 hits en route to an 11-5 drubbing of the Baltimore Orioles at Camden Yards.
In the 74 games coming into this four-game set, Cleveland had yet to post a game with more than 15 hits. In the last two games, however, the Indians have posted 16 and 19 hits, respectively.
"I'm getting consistent at-bats, good opportunity and I feel good right now," Marson said. "I'm just trying to get quality at-bats and trying to see the ball. I don't want to talk about it. I just want to keep swinging it."
Shin-Soo Choo homered and reached base five times -- including four hits -- while Asdrubal Cabrera had three hits in the victory.
Josh Tomlin (4-5) won despite his continuing struggles. He allowed five runs in six innings, the fourth time in six June starts he's allowed at least five.
Chris Davis homered, and Adam Jones doubled twice for the Orioles, who showed after the game that despite the loss, they are still trying to make the playoffs for the first time since 1997.
Baltimore bolstered its offense for the stretch run by acquiring designated hitter Jim Thome from Philadelphia. Coincidentally enough, Thome was on the Indians team that opposed the Orioles the last time the team played in the postseason.
"I think it's exciting. Thome is a guy I loved watch play growing up, and I had a lot of respect for," Davis said. "I'm excited to have him here not only as a player, but as a mentor."
Dana Eveland (0-1) didn't last long in the start, yielding five runs in 3 2/3 innings. Tommy Hunter also allowed five runs in defeat, but it took him only 1 2/3 frames.
The Orioles are probably lucky the score was as it was since the Indians stranded 16 runners.
Lopez got Cleveland on the board with an RBI single in the opening inning that bounced off of third base. The Indians loaded the bases with one out later in the frame, but couldn't push another run across.
Choo doubled the lead with a two-out homer in the second, though Baltimore got on the board in the third with a Brian Roberts sacrifice fly.
The runs started to come in bunches in the fourth.
Marson singled to start, and Choo worked a one-out walk. Cabrera's single scored Marson, and Jason Kipnis' RBI groundout ended Eveland's afternoon. Hunter came on and allowed a run to score on Lopez's infield single before getting out of the jam.
Baltimore kept the game close with Davis' three-run homer for a 5-4 game in the home half, but the Indians kept coming with three more runs in the fifth.
Marson started the rally again with a one-out triple, and the Indians sent five men to the plate when there were two outs. Choo scored Marson with a single, and Cabrera followed with an RBI double. After Hunter intentionally walked Kipnis, who went hitless, Lopez singled to bring home Cabrera for an 8-4 game.
Shelley Duncan homered leading off the sixth, and Choo added an RBI single later in the inning to extend the lead to six.
The Orioles scored one in the bottom half on a Matt Wieters' fielder's choice groundout, and the Indians capped the scoring on Marson's fourth hit of the day, a two-out RBI single in the ninth.
The Indians, who are now 39-38, have not been below .500 since April 14 (3-4)...Cleveland is still only 4-9 on Saturdays, the worst of any day of the week. They finish June with a 12-15 record...Despite the 19 hits, three of the Indians' nine batters on Saturday had no hits (Kipnis, Casey Kotchman, Aaron Cunningham)...The Orioles went 13-13 in June and still have not had a losing month this season.
- CLEVELAND: 11
Jun 30 7:32 PM
- Lou Marson single to right scored Jose Lopez. On the play, Casey Kotchman advances to second and Michael Brantley advances to third. Bases loaded with two out and Aaron Cunningham due up.
Indians 11, Orioles 5 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 30 7:23 PM
- Matt Wieters ground into a fielder's choice, short to second scored Wilson Betemit. Chris Davis out at second. Runner on first with two out and Mark Reynolds due up.
Indians 10, Orioles 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 30 6:36 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo single to right scored Lou Marson. Runner on first with two out and Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Indians 10, Orioles 4 Top 6, 2 OutsJun 30 6:21 PM
- Shelley Duncan lead-off Home Run (5) to left. Casey Kotchman due up.
Indians 9, Orioles 4 Top 6, 0 OutsJun 30 6:12 PM
- Michael Brantley grounded into a fielder's choice, pitcher, second to short. On the play, Jose Lopez out at second to end the inning.
Indians 8, Orioles 4 Mid 5Jun 30 6:04 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera double to right scored Shin-Soo Choo. Runner on second with two out and Jason Kipnis due up.
Indians 7, Orioles 4 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 30 5:58 PM
- Chris Davis none-out, three-run Home Run (13) to right scored Adam Jones and Wilson Betemit. Matt Wieters due up.
Indians 5, Orioles 4 Bot 4, 0 OutsJun 30 5:44 PM
- Jose Lopez single to short scored Asdrubal Cabrera. Runner on first with two out and Michael Brantley due up.
Indians 5, Orioles 1 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 30 5:33 PM
- Jason Kipnis ground out second to first scored Shin-Soo Choo. On the play, Asdrubal Cabrera advances to second. Runner on second with two out and Jose Lopez due up.
Indians 4, Orioles 1 Top 4, 2 OutsJun 30 5:28 PM
- Asdrubal Cabrera single to left scored Lou Marson. On the play, Shin-Soo Choo advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and Jason Kipnis due up.
Indians 3, Orioles 1 Top 4, 1 OutJun 30 5:24 PM
- Xavier Avery doubled to right. On the play, Ryan Flaherty advances to third. Runners on second and third with two out and J.J. Hardy due up.
Indians 2, Orioles 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 30 5:13 PM
- Shin-Soo Choo two-out, solo Home Run (8) to left. Asdrubal Cabrera due up.
Indians 2, Orioles 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJun 30 4:38 PM
- Michael Brantley walked. Bases loaded with one out and Shelley Duncan due up.
Indians 1, Orioles 0 Top 1, 1 OutJun 30 4:23 PM
- CLEVELAND: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 30 4:17 PM
- Orioles sign Peguero Sat
- A's make Kazmir signing official Wed
- Report: A's to sign Kazmir to 2-year deal Dec 3
- A's add closer Johnson in trade with O's Dec 3
- Orioles claim INF Phelps off waivers Nov 25
- Orioles acquire RHP Brad Brach from Padres Nov 25
- Indians make it official with Murphy Nov 25
- Indians sign Zagurski to minor league deal Nov 22
- Report: Indians reach deal with OF Murphy Nov 20
- O's sign reliever Escalona Nov 20
- Francona, Hurdle named managers of the year Nov 12
- Tribe extend qualifying offer to Jimenez Nov 4