Alvarez grand slam lifts Pirates over CardinalsJun 30, 2012 - 11:17 PM
Karstens (1-2) gave up four hits while striking out seven and walking two for the Pirates, who have won four in a row. Drew Sutton, Neil Walker and Clint Barmes each had an RBI.
Pittsburgh center fielder Andrew McCutchen left the game in the bottom of the seventh due to soreness in his left wrist. He sustained the injury while sliding for a fly ball in the bottom of the third.
"Sometimes it may not go the way you want it to go, you may get injured," McCutchen said. "But it's part of the game."
Lance Lynn (10-4) allowed six runs on seven hits over five innings to take the loss for the Cardinals, who have dropped three straight. Carlos Beltran, Jon Jay and Matt Holliday each knocked in a run.
Alvarez's grand slam in the first proved to be the difference. With two outs, McCutchen and Garrett Jones singled and Neil Walker walked to load the bases. Alvarez stepped to the plate and smacked Lynn's offering over the wall in right.
"I didn't get it done in the first inning and it cost us the whole game," Lynn said.
The Cardinals managed to get two runs back in the third. Tony Cruz led off with a double off the wall in center and moved to third on a sacrifice bunt. After Skip Schumaker walked, Cruz scored when Jay grounded into a fielder's choice. Jay stole second and raced home on Holliday's single to make it 4-2.
Pittsburgh scored a pair of runs in the fifth to make it a four-run game again. Jose Tabata doubled and Jones walked prior to Walker's RBI double down the left-field line. Alvarez was intentionally walked to load the bases with one out. Barmes plated a run when he grounded into a fielder's choice.
Beltran's RBI double in the eighth cut the gap to 6-3, but Sutton drove in a run in the ninth.
Jared Hughes recorded the final four outs of the game for the Pirates to pick up his first career save.
Karstens improved to 2-2 in eight career games (seven starts) against the Cardinals...Lynn fell to 2-1 in four career games (three starts) against the Pirates...Pittsburgh improved to 4-2 on a seven-game road trip...The Cardinals recalled pitcher Maikel Cleto and purchased the contract of pitcher Barret Browning from Triple-A Memphis. Browning made his MLB debut Saturday with two scoreless innings of relief, while Cleto pitched a spotless eighth. In addition, Pittsburgh optioned pitchers Eduardo Sanchez and Sam Freeman to Memphis and transferred pitcher Kyle McClellan to the 60-day disabled list...Beltran has set a Cardinals season-best by recording an RBI in eight consecutive games.
- PITTSBURGH: 7
ST. LOUIS: 3
Jun 30 5:22 PM
- Casey McGehee grounded out short to first. On the play, Drew Sutton advances to second. Runner on second with two outs and Neil Walker due up.
Pirates 7, Cardinals 3 Top 9, 2 OutsJun 30 5:11 PM
- Carlos Beltran double to center scored Jon Jay with two out. Runner on second and Allen Craig due up.
Pirates 6, Cardinals 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 30 4:57 PM
- Clint Barmes grounded into a fielder's choice, short to second scored Garrett Jones with two out. Pedro Alvarez out at second. Neil Walker advances to third. Runners on first and third and Michael McKenry due up.
Pirates 6, Cardinals 2 Top 5, 2 OutsJun 30 4:02 PM
- Neil Walker double to left scored Jose Tabata with one out. On the play, Garrett Jones advances to third. Runners on second and third and Pedro Alvarez due up.
Pirates 5, Cardinals 2 Top 5, 1 OutJun 30 3:59 PM
- Matt Holliday single to center scored Jon Jay with two out. Runner on first and Carlos Beltran due up.
Pirates 4, Cardinals 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 30 3:23 PM
- Jon Jay grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short scored Tony Cruz with two out. Skip Schumaker out at second. Runner on first and Matt Holliday due up.
Pirates 4, Cardinals 1 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 30 3:20 PM
- Pedro Alvarez two-out, Grand Slam (15) to right scored Andrew McCutchen, Garrett Jones and Neil Walker. Clint Barmes due up.
Pirates 4, Cardinals 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJun 30 2:32 PM
- PITTSBURGH: 0
ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 30 2:18 PM
- Descalso, Wainwright leads Cards over Padres 2:35a
- Snider slams Pirates past Cubs 1:46a
- Wainwright tries to find win column versus Padres Tue
- Cubs' Garza makes 2013 debut at Pittsburgh Tue
- Marquis, Padres get by Cardinals Tue
- Streaking Cards hit the road to battle Padres Mon
- Cardinals down Brewers Sun
- Alvarez homers, Pittsburgh pitches past Houston Sun
- Lohse hopes to deliver series win for Brewers in St. Louis Sun
- Locke eyes a win in rubber match against Astros Sun
- Astros edge Pirates in 11 innings Sun
- Cardinals' Garcia heading to DL Sat