Braun homers twice, Brewers rout D-BacksJul 1, 2012 - 3:32 AM
Braun hit a solo shot in the third, then belted a two-run blast an inning later. Cody Ransom added a three-run homer in the fourth for Milwaukee, which had lost five of seven coming in, including the opener of this three-game series on Friday.
"This team has always been dependent on the home run," said Braun. "A lot of guys were struggling, but over the last month and a half we have been a lot more consistent."
The Diamondbacks' bats were hot in the opener, but rookie Mike Fiers (3-2) silenced them on Saturday, tossing six shutout innings with a career-high 10 strikeouts. It marked the righty's second straight start without allowing a run.
Miguel Montero hit a ninth inning homer for the Diamondbacks while Gerardo Parra added an RBI in the eighth. Aaron Hill, who hit for his second cycle of June on Friday, went 1-for-4.
Wade Miley (9-4) took the loss, giving up eight runs on eight hits in 3 2/3 innings. He had allowed just one run in each of his previous four outings.
"The quality pitches weren't there," said Diamondbacks manager Kirk Gibson. "He didn't locate like he normally does. I told him it's a game to forget."
In addition to the three-run blast, Ransom had a run-scoring single in the fifth. His homer plated Rickie Weeks and Corey Hart, who tripled and scored on a wild pitch in the second inning.
Carlos Gomez added an RBI triple in the six-run fourth, then tacked on a two- out, solo homer in the sixth to make it 10-0.
Fiers earned his first career win in Miller Park. He was previously 0-2 with a 5.54 ERA in four games -- two starts...The Brewers were 5-for-10 with runners in scoring position.
- ARIZONA: 2
Jun 30 10:28 PM
- Miguel Montero lead-off Home Run (8) to center. Chris Young due up.
Diamondbacks 2, Brewers 10 Top 9, 0 OutsJun 30 10:22 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Gerardo Parra reached first on a fielder's choice, second to short, that scored Stephen Drew with one out. Aaron Hill out at second. Runner on first and Jason Kubel due up.
Diamondbacks 1, Brewers 10 Top 8, 1 OutJun 30 10:02 PM
- Carlos Gomez two-out, solo Home Run (4) to left center. Ryan Braun due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Brewers 10 Bot 6, 2 OutsJun 30 9:33 PM
- Cody Ransom single to center scored Rickie Weeks with one out. Runner on first and Martin Maldonado due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Brewers 9 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 30 9:14 PM
- Ryan Braun two-out, two-run Home Run 2 (22) to left center scored Carlos Gomez. Aramis Ramirez due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Brewers 8 Bot 4, 2 OutsJun 30 8:53 PM
- Cody Ransom none-out, three-run Home Run (7) to left scored Corey Hart and Rickie Weeks. Martin Maldonado due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Brewers 5 Bot 4, 0 OutsJun 30 8:44 PM
- Ryan Braun two-out, solo Home Run (21) to center. Aramis Ramirez due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Brewers 2 Bot 3, 2 OutsJun 30 8:27 PM
- Rickie Weeks struck out, but advanced to first on a wild pitch that scored Corey Hart with none out. Runner on first and Cody Ransom due up.
Diamondbacks 0, Brewers 1 Bot 2, 0 OutsJun 30 8:03 PM
- ARIZONA: 0
Top 1, 1 Out
Jun 30 7:21 PM
- Angels acquire Skaggs, Santiago in 3-team deal Tue
- Royals acquire Aoki from Brewers Dec 5
- Diamondbacks name Harkey pitching coach Dec 2
- Red Sox acquire Badenhop from Brewers Nov 22
- Cabrera, Goldschmidt win Hank Aaron Award Oct 27
- Diamondbacks avoid arbitration with P Reynolds Oct 15
- Diamondbacks bringing back Gibson Oct 8
- Cubs claim Gamel from Brewers Oct 3
- D-backs rally to end season with win over Nats Sep 29
- Mets cap season with win over Brewers Sep 29
- Nationals target desert sweep of D'backs Sep 29
- Brewers go for four-game sweep of Mets Sep 29