Grandal makes history in Padres' winJul 1, 2012 - 5:31 AM
The 23-year-old switch-hitting catcher homered from both sides of the plate, lifting the San Diego Padres to an 8-4 win over the Colorado Rockies Saturday in the middle installment of a three-game set.
With his pair of long balls, Grandal became the first player in MLB history whose first two career hits were homers from different sides of the plate in the same game.
"I can't describe how remarkable this is," Grandal said. "To get called up and hit two home runs for my first two hits, it's incredible."
Alexi Amarista also hit two round-trippers in the win.
Edinson Volquez (5-7) fanned eight and surrendered two runs -- one earned -- on three hits and six walks in six innings for the Padres, who have won two of their last three games.
Wilin Rosario hit a solo homer for Colorado, which took the first game of the series by a 10-2 count.
Trailing 2-1 heading into the sixth, the Padres surged ahead by plating two in the frame, one in the seventh and four more in the eighth.
With one out in the sixth, Carlos Quentin was hit by a pitch. Grandal followed and laced an opposite-field two-run shot off Jeremy Guthrie (3-7) that just cleared the wall in left for a 3-2 San Diego advantage.
Amarista clubbed a leadoff homer in the seventh and his three-run shot highlighted the four-run eighth, which made it 8-2. Cameron Maybin's RBI single preceded Amarista's blast.
"We pitched badly from the sixth inning on, because the job that Christian Friedrich did was just exceptional," Rockies manager Jim Tracy said.
Jordan Pacheco ripped an RBI single to left, while Chris Nelson added an RBI double in a two-run Colorado eighth to conclude the scoring.
The Padres struck first in the fourth frame when Grandal belted a solo shot to dead center for a 1-0 lead, but the Rockies went ahead in the fifth after plating a pair.
Rosario led off the frame with a solo blast to center. Eric Young walked and scored on Grandal's throwing error following Dexter Fowler's bunt single.
Grandal made his MLB debut on June 2, but had just one plate appearance before being optioned back to the minors the very next day...San Diego was 2-for-9 with runners in scoring position, while Colorado also finished 2- for-9...Friedrich gave up a run on five hits in five innings pitched.
- SAN DIEGO: 8
Jun 30 10:35 PM
- Chris Nelson doubled to center scoring Michael Cuddyer with two out. On the play, Jordan Pacheco advances to third. Runners on second and third and Wilin Rosario due up.
Padres 8, Rockies 4 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 30 10:15 PM
- Jordan Pacheco singled to left scoring Carlos Gonzalez with two out. On the play, Michael Cuddyer advances to second. Runners on first and second and Chris Nelson due up.
Padres 8, Rockies 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsJun 30 10:10 PM
- Will Venable grounded out short to first to end the inning.
Padres 8, Rockies 2 Mid 8Jun 30 9:56 PM
- Alexi Amarista lead-off Home Run (2) to center. Edinson Volquez due up.
Padres 4, Rockies 2 Top 7, 0 OutsJun 30 9:24 PM
- Yasmani Grandal one-out, two-run Home Run 2 (2) to left scored Carlos Quentin. Yonder Alonso due up.
Padres 3, Rockies 2 Top 6, 1 OutJun 30 9:05 PM
- Dexter Fowler bunt singled to catcher. On the play, Eric Young Jr. scored on Yasmani Grandal's throwing error with none out. Dexter Fowler thrown out at third, right to third. None on with one out and Marco Scutaro due up.
Padres 1, Rockies 2 Bot 5, 1 OutJun 30 9:00 PM
- Wilin Rosario lead-off Home Run (13) to center. Christian Friedrich due up.
Padres 1, Rockies 1 Bot 5, 0 OutsJun 30 8:52 PM
- Yasmani Grandal one-out, solo Home Run (1) to center. Yonder Alonso due up.
Padres 1, Rockies 0 Top 4, 1 OutJun 30 8:27 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jun 30 7:16 PM
- Report: Rockies, Morneau agree to two-year deal Wed
- Astros acquire Fowler from Rockies Tue
- A's send Smith to Padres for P Gregerson Tue
- Padres agree to deals with Stults, Stauffer Tue
- Orioles acquire RHP Brad Brach from Padres Nov 25
- Pirates and Padres make three-player deal Nov 25
- Padres add Josh Johnson to rotation Nov 20
- Rockies to add Hawkins to the bullpen Nov 19
- Rockies' Belisle to return in 2014 Nov 4
- Clayton Richard set for free agency Oct 28
- Rockies give Weiss three-year extension Oct 15
- Padres' Headley has knee procedure Oct 1