Braves rally late to down MetsJul 15, 2012 - 1:01 AM
Michael Bourn and Martin Prado had consecutive RBI singles off Bobby Parnell (2-2) prior to Heyward's at-bat, a single to right. Freddie Freeman hit a two- run double among his three hits and Bourn added a pair of RBI for the Braves, who extended their winning streak to six games. Eric Hinske also knocked in a pair in the victory.
"What a game to win. You go ahead, they come back," Braves manager Fredi Gonzalez said. "They've got a bunch of guys offensively that just don't give at-bats away. They just keep battling."
Anthony Varvaro (1-0) notched his first major league win with a scoreless inning in relief and Craig Kimbrel struck out the side in the ninth to record his 27th save of the season.
Ruben Tejada drove in a pair of runs and Andres Torres added three hits for the Mets, who have dropped three straight.
Trailing, 7-5, heading into the bottom of the eighth inning, the Braves battled back to take the lead for good with three runs in the frame. Brian McCann started the rally with a walk and Dan Uggla followed with a base hit. After pinch-hitters Tyler Pastornicky and Juan Francisco struck out, Bourn, Prado and Heyward each stroked clutch two-out RBI singles to put the Braves in front.
"I didn't feel my best coming off that break, but it's just little adjustments," Parnell said. "Unfortunately things didn't go the way we wanted them...But it's just little things, nothing big."
Kimbrel fanned Ike Davis, Daniel Murphy and Lucas Duda to secure the win.
Earlier, the Mets opened the scoring in the second inning with a run on an RBI double by Josh Thole, but the Braves struck for three in the home half of the frame to take the lead.
Freeman ripped a one-out single before McCann singled and Uggla drew a walk to load the bases. Hinske then capitalized on a drawn-in Mets' outfield and ripped it over the head of Torres in left-center to drive home McCann and Freeman. Bourn then singled in Uggla to make it a 3-1 game.
New York tied the game with a pair of runs in the fourth. Davis led off the frame by roping a slider from Braves starter Tommy Hanson into the seats in straightaway right to pull the Mets within one. Murphy singled and Kirk Nieuwenhuis walked to put two runners on base. Torres singled home Murphy to tie the contest.
The Braves took the lead in the fifth with a pair of runs. Prado singled up the middle and Heyward blooped a single just in front of left fielder Jordany Valdespin. Freeman then got a knuckleball up from Mets starter R.A. Dickey and laced it into right to score both runners.
Nieuwenhuis grounded out to start the Mets sixth, but they then ripped off five straight singles to bring home three runs for a 6-5 advantage.
Thole and Torres started the hit parade with back-to-back knocks before pinch-hitter Justin Turner smoked a single into left to score Thole. Hanson was removed in favor of Chad Durbin, who immediately allowed an RBI base hit to Tejada. Valdespin followed and brought home Turner with a single to left, capping the big inning.
Tejada poked a base hit into right, scoring Torres in the top of the eighth to extend the lead to 7-5.
New York fell to 20-22 on the road this year...Mets third baseman David Wright (0-for-5) struck out four times and had reached base safely in each of his last 27 games...McCann returned to the lineup after missing Friday's game due to paternity leave...Mets manager Terry Collins was ejected by third base umpire Dale Scott in the fifth inning...During the game, it was announced that the Braves acquired shortstop Paul Janish from the Cincinnati Reds in exchange for pitcher Todd Redmond...Prior to the game, the Braves recalled Pastornicky from Triple-A Gwinnett and optioned catcher J.C. Boscan to the farm club...Atlanta improved to 3-33 when trailing after seven innings this season...Dickey allowed five runs on eight hits over five innings, while Hanson yielded six runs on nine hits in 5 1/3 innings.
- NEW YORK: 7
Jul 14 7:39 PM
- Jason Heyward singled to left scoring Michael Bourn with two out. On the play, Martin Prado advances to second. Runners on first and second and Chipper Jones due up.
Mets 7, Braves 8 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 14 7:28 PM
- Michael Bourn singled to center scoring Brian McCann with two out. On the play, Dan Uggla advances to third. Runners on first and third and Martin Prado due up.
Mets 7, Braves 6 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 14 7:24 PM
- Jordany Valdespin struck out swinging. Runner on first with two outs and David Wright due up.
Mets 7, Braves 5 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 14 6:57 PM
- Jordany Valdespin singled to left scoring Justin Turner with one out. On the play, Ruben Tejada advances to second. Runners on first and second and David Wright due up.
Mets 6, Braves 5 Top 6, 1 OutJul 14 6:00 PM
- Ruben Tejada singled to center scoring Andres Torres with one out. On the play, Justin Turner advances to second. Runners on first and second and Jordany Valdespin due up.
Mets 5, Braves 5 Top 6, 1 OutJul 14 5:57 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Justin Turner singled to left scoring Josh Thole with one out. On the play, Andres Torres advances to third. Runners on first and third and Ruben Tejada due up.
Mets 4, Braves 5 Top 6, 1 OutJul 14 5:51 PM
- Brian McCann popped out to third to end the inning.
Mets 3, Braves 5 End 5Jul 14 5:41 PM
- Andres Torres singled to left scoring Daniel Murphy with one out. On the play, Kirk Nieuwenhuis advances to second. Runners on first and second and R.A. Dickey due up.
Mets 3, Braves 3 Top 4, 1 OutJul 14 5:08 PM
- Ike Davis lead-off Home Run (13) to right. Daniel Murphy due up.
Mets 2, Braves 3 Top 4, 0 OutsJul 14 5:01 PM
- Michael Bourn singled to center scoring Dan Uggla with two out. On the play, Eric Hinske thrown out at home, center to catcher, to end the inning.
Mets 1, Braves 3 End 2Jul 14 4:45 PM
- Eric Hinske doubled to left scoring Freddie Freeman and Brian McCann with one out. On the play, Dan Uggla advances to third. Runners on second and third and Tommy Hanson due up.
Mets 1, Braves 2 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 14 4:41 PM
- Josh Thole doubled to right scoring Ike Davis with two out. Runner on second and Andres Torres due up.
Mets 1, Braves 0 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 14 4:30 PM
- NEW YORK: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 14 4:06 PM
- Braves, Mets set to resume suspended game, continue set in NY 10:13a
- Braves hope to stay hot on road as they visit Mets Fri
- Reds finish off sweep of Mets with ninth-inning surge Wed
- Braves hammer Twins to complete series sweep Wed
- Aces Wild: Harvey, Latos square off in Citi Field finale Wed
- Braves eye sweep of Twins in matinee affair Wed
- Reds blank Mets Wed
- Braves rally past Twins to extend streak Wed
- Twins rely on Pelfrey in Atlanta Tue
- Reds hope to add to Mets' misery Tue
- Teheran, Braves stifle Twins Tue
- Bruce's blast leads Reds over Mets Tue