Youkilis gets revenge against former club; White Sox down BostonJul 18, 2012 - 6:02 AM
The two-time World Series winner with the BoSox, who was dealt to the AL Central club on June 24, also scored twice. He had been denied victory in his Boston return in the series opener on Monday.
Alejandro De Aza knocked in a pair, while Paul Konerko and Alex Rios donated two hits and an RBI each for the White Sox, winners in seven of their last 10.
Activated from the 15-day disabled list prior to the game, Philip Humber (4-4) allowed six hits and two runs over six innings. The right-hander picked up his first win since June 16, the day before he was sidelined with a right elbow issue.
"Against a guy like (Jon) Lester, we knew there were going to be some tough at-bats," Humber said. "We grinded out at-bats and then Youkilis came up with a big hit there."
Kelly Shoppach hit a late pinch-hit, two run homer for the Red Sox, who had won two in a row. Carl Crawford added three hits, two runs scored and an RBI in defeat.
Lester (5-7) departed after just four frames, charged with seven hits and six runs.
"It keeps adding on and I'm getting tired of it," Lester said of his struggles. "I try to make adjustments, try to do the things I need to do, I'm just not getting results."
Alexei Ramirez led off with a double and scored in the sixth with help from a De Aza single to boost the Chicago lead to 7-2, but the Red Sox climbed back in with three in the home eighth.
Matt Thornton fell victim to Will Middlebrooks' base hit to plate Crawford and Shoppach's pinch-hit, two-run shot, which made it a two-run game.
Addison Reed held the fort in the ninth, earning his 15th save by retiring the side in order.
The visitors picked up two in their first at-bat on a Konerko double and Rios single, but the hosts responded in their turn with RBI singles from Crawford and Adrian Gonzalez.
De Aza doubled home Ramirez in the second to put the ChiSox back on top, then Youkilis cleared the Green Monster with two down in the fourth to make it 6-2.
Dayan Viciedo began the frame with a ground-rule double and Gordon Beckham walked with one out prior to the blast -- Youkilis' first here for a team other than the Red Sox.
Chicago, which saw its seven-game win streak at Fenway snapped on Monday, have won eight of nine in Boston since August of 2009...White Sox designated hitter Adam Dunn swiped his first base since August 16, 2008 at Houston while he played for Arizona...The White Sox placed pitcher Gavin Floyd on the DL to open up a spot for Humber...Red Sox designated hitter David Ortiz is expected to miss at least one week with an injury to his right Achilles tendon, the club said before the game...Lester, who fanned four, is now eight strikeouts away from 1,000 with the Red Sox, something only seven hurlers previously have accomplished.
- CHICAGO: 7
Jul 17 10:17 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Kelly Shoppach two-out, two-run Home Run (5) to left scored Will Middlebrooks. Ryan Sweeney due up.
White Sox 7, Red Sox 5 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 17 9:59 PM
- Will Middlebrooks single to right scored Carl Crawford. Runner on first with two outs and Jarrod Saltalamacchia due up.
White Sox 7, Red Sox 3 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 17 9:56 PM
- Alejandro De Aza single to right scored Alexei Ramirez. Runner on first with one out and Kevin Youkilis due up.
White Sox 7, Red Sox 2 Top 6, 1 OutJul 17 9:07 PM
- Kevin Youkilis two-out, three-run Home Run (8) to left scored Dayan Viciedo and Gordon Beckham. Adam Dunn due up.
White Sox 6, Red Sox 2 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 17 8:32 PM
- Alejandro De Aza double to left scored Alexei Ramirez. Runner on second with two outs and Kevin Youkilis due up.
White Sox 3, Red Sox 2 Top 2, 2 OutsJul 17 7:53 PM
- Adrian Gonzalez single to center scored Carl Crawford. Runner on first with one out and Will Middlebrooks due up.
White Sox 2, Red Sox 2 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 17 7:36 PM
- Carl Crawford single to right scored Jacoby Ellsbury. Runner on first with none out and Daniel Nava due up.
White Sox 2, Red Sox 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsJul 17 7:30 PM
- Alex Rios single to center scored Adam Dunn. On the play, Paul Konerko advances to third. Runners on first and third with one out and A.J. Pierzynski due up.
White Sox 2, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 17 7:19 PM
- Paul Konerko double to right scored Kevin Youkilis. On the play, Adam Dunn advances to third. Runners on second and third with one out and Alex Rios due up.
White Sox 1, Red Sox 0 Top 1, 1 OutJul 17 7:18 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 17 7:10 PM
- Angels shoot for split in set with White Sox 9:50a
- Red Sox shoot for fifth straight win and sweep of Twins 9:26a
- Ortiz clubs two homers as Red Sox pound Twins 12:34a
- Angels outslug White Sox to end skid Sat
- White Sox aim to stay hot in Anaheim Sat
- Twins hope for some home cooking versus Red Sox Sat
- Gomes, Ellsbury help BoSox rally past Twins Sat
- Sale, White Sox shut out Angels Sat
- White Sox rely on Sale in Anaheim Fri
- Boston's Buchholz aims for win No. 7 against Twins Fri
- Red Sox rally in 9th to take series Fri
- White Sox rally past Angels Fri