Ross hits winning HR in 9th for BoSoxJul 20, 2012 - 2:44 AM
Carl Crawford sparked the rally with a leadoff single off reliever Matt Thornton (2-6). After Dustin Pedroia grounded into a fielder's choice, Adrian Gonzalez singled to right and Addison Reed entered from the bullpen.
Ross then launched a 1-1 fastball from Reed over the Green Monster to send the Red Sox to their fourth win in five games.
"It's all about what they feel about themselves," said Red Sox manager Bobby Valentine of his club's recent play. "We don't have any nicks on our armor. We're a pretty good team."
Alfredo Aceves (1-6) earned the victory for tossing a scoreless ninth in relief of starter Clay Buchholz, who fired eight innings and allowed just six hits and one walk while striking out six.
Chicago starter Jose Quintana spun eight innings of five-hit ball and didn't walk a batter, but Thornton's blown save sent the White Sox to their first series loss since June 18-20 against their cross-town rivals, the Chicago Cubs.
"He just has a way of getting deep into games," said Chicago manager Robin Ventura of Quintana. "He has a lot of poise for such a young kid. We're lucky to have him."
Alex Rios plated Chicago's lone run with a sacrifice fly in the fourth as the White Sox saw their lead in the AL Central slip to just 1 1/2 games over the Detroit Tigers, who beat the Angels earlier on Thursday. The White Sox play a three-game series at Detroit this weekend.
Quintana kept it a one-run contest as he retired 19 of the first 20 batters he faced.
He ran into trouble in the seventh when Pedroia smacked a one-out single through the right side of the infield before Gonzalez and Ross followed with consecutive singles to load the bases.
Quintana escaped unscathed, however, as he got Will Middlebrooks to ground into an inning-ending 6-4-3 double play, but his stellar performance was spoiled by Ross's 16th homer of the season in the ninth.
Pedroia returned to the starting lineup for the first time since injuring his right thumb on July 3 against Oakland. He finished 1-for-4. Infielder Mauro Gomez was optioned to Triple-A Pawtucket to make room for Pedroia...Boston traded pitcher Justin Germano to the Cubs for cash considerations before the game...Chicago recalled pitcher Donnie Veal from Triple-A Charlotte before the game...Chicago third baseman Kevin Youkilis missed the game with a tight hamstring...Chicago begins a three-game set in Detroit on Friday.
- CHICAGO: 1
Jul 19 10:00 PM
- Cody Ross one-out, three-run Home Run (16) to left scored Dustin Pedroia and Nick Punto. Will Middlebrooks due up.
White Sox 1, Red Sox 3 Bot 9, 1 OutJul 19 9:58 PM
- Alex Rios sacrifice fly out to right scored Adam Dunn with one out. Runner on first and A.J. Pierzynski due up.
White Sox 1, Red Sox 0 Top 4, 1 OutJul 19 8:09 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 19 7:11 PM
- ChiSox avoid sweep in Houston 12:21a
- Astros shoot for fifth straight win and sweep of White Sox 10:46a
- Astros hold off White Sox Mon
- Orioles take series from Red Sox Sun
- Red Sox try to secure split of 4-game set with O's Sun
- Astros try to keep win streak intact vs. White Sox Sun
- Astros get by White Sox Sun
- Ninth-inning luck helps Red Sox clip O's Sat
- White Sox, Astros try to find offense in Houston Sat
- Charging Orioles aim to extend home win streak over Red Sox Sat
- Astros edge White Sox Sat
- Tillman, O's blank Red Sox Sat