Opportunistic Pirates top MarlinsJul 22, 2012 - 4:49 AM
In the home fourth, the Pirates scored four runs without recording a hit as they took advantage of a bevy of Marlin miscues, propelling them to a 5-1 win over Miami in the middle installment of a three-game set.
"It's been a long time since I've seen four runs score without a hit," Pirates manager Clint Hurdle said.
Pittsburgh moved to 31-14 at home this season, the best mark in the majors.
A.J. Burnett (11-3), who improved to 7-0 in the Steel City this year, surrendered a run on eight hits and a walk in 7 2/3 innings. He joined the New York Mets' R.A. Dickey and the LA Angels of Anaheim's Jered Weaver as the only other starters to remain perfect at home in 2012.
Andrew McCutchen, who came in hitting .500 in July, went 1-for-4. Neil Walker tallied a hit and an RBI, while Garrett Jones registered a pair of RBI for the Pirates, who registered just five hits as they won their fourth consecutive game.
Carlos Zambrano (5-8) was charged with five runs -- four earned -- on three hits and six walks over 3 1/3 frames for Miami, which has dropped four in a row.
"If I had to work on something it would be my delivery," Zambrano said. "I definitely will work on it in my next bullpen session."
With the game tied 1-1 heading into the bottom of the fourth, 10 Pittsburgh batters strolled to the plate during the four-run inning as Zambrano issued three walks while also hitting two batters.
After Rod Barajas and Clint Barmes were plunked to begin the frame, Burnett laid down a seemingly innocent sacrifice bunt.
But it quickly turned into disaster when John Buck airmailed his throw to first, allowing Barajas to cross the plate.
It went downhill for the mercurial Zambrano from there.
He walked Alex Presley to load the bases before Walker lifted a sacrifice fly to left, bringing home Barmes. The big Venezuelan then walked McCutchen and Jones in succession to plate Burnett.
Chad Gaudin came on to relieve Zambrano and issued a free pass to Casey McGhee as Presley trotted home to make it 5-1. Gaudin then struck out Pedro Alvarez and Barajas to finally end the frame.
It was the first time a team scored four runs in one inning without a hit since the Oakland Athletics on Sept 23, 1998, against the Seattle Mariners.
Brad Lincoln took over for Burnett with runners on the corners and two away in the eighth. He struck out Logan Morrison to end the frame before tossing a scoreless ninth to pick up his first save of the year.
Jones' RBI groundout opened the scoring for Pittsburgh in the home first, but Justin Ruggiano stroked an opposite-field homer over the 21-foot high wall in right, knotting the game in the second.
Before the game, the Pirates placed pitcher Juan Cruz on the 15-day disabled list and recalled pitcher Evan Meek from Triple-A Indianapolis...Pittsburgh moved to 14-2 in games played on Saturday this year, including a perfect 9-0 record at home.
- MIAMI: 1
Jul 21 10:04 PM
- Casey McGehee bases loaded walk scored Alex Presley with one out. Bases loaded and Pedro Alvarez due up.
Marlins 1, Pirates 5 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 21 8:43 PM
- Neil Walker sacrifice fly to left scored Clint Barmes with one out. Runners on first and second and Andrew McCutchen due up.
Marlins 1, Pirates 3 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 21 8:32 PM
- Alex Presley walked. Bases loaded with none out and Neil Walker due up.
Marlins 1, Pirates 2 Bot 4, 0 OutsJul 21 8:29 PM
- Justin Ruggiano lead-off Home Run (7) to right. Greg Dobbs due up.
Marlins 1, Pirates 1 Top 2, 0 OutsJul 21 7:30 PM
- Casey McGehee flied out to center to end the inning.
Marlins 0, Pirates 1 End 1Jul 21 7:26 PM
- MIAMI: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 21 7:06 PM
- Keppinger, White Sox beat Marlins in extras 3:10a
- Estrada pitches Brewers over Pirates 11:54p
- Burnett tries to get off the schneid in Milwaukee Fri
- Danks set to make season debut versus Marlins Fri
- McCutchen helps Pirates sweep Cubs Thu
- Pirates eye sweep of Cubs Thu
- Liriano strong again as Pirates edge Cubs Thu
- Lee's SO lifts Phillies in Miami Wed
- Phillies shoot for series victory over Marlins Wed
- Samardzija eyes another win in the Steel City Wed
- Howard returns, helps Phils down Marlins Wed
- Snider slams Pirates past Cubs Wed