Kubel powers D-Backs over AstrosJul 22, 2012 - 4:53 AM
Kubel belted a two-run homer in the first, a three-run blast in the fourth and a solo shot in the sixth to lead Arizona to its third win in its last four games.
Kubel now has 46 RBI since June 5, which is tops in the majors.
"You don't see many of those games," said Arizona manager Kirk Gibson of Kubel's performance. "He's got a very short stroke. The way he sets up, he gets the barrel to the ball."
The run support was more than enough for Wade Miley (11-5), who allowed just one run on four hits and two walks with a career-high nine strikeouts. With the victory, Miley set a Diamondbacks single-season rookie record for wins which had been owned by three other players, including Josh Collmenter (2011), Oscar Villarreal (2003) and Brandon Webb (2003).
Dallas Keuchel (1-2) was called up to make the start in place of lefty J.A. Happ, who was sent to the Toronto Blue Jays as part of a 10-player trade on Friday. Keuchel was charged with seven runs -- six earned -- on seven hits and four walks in just 3 1/3 innings.
"I made some mistakes over the plate with runners on and that hurt me," Keuchel said.
Chris Johnson and Justin Maxwell each knocked in a run in the setback, Houston's fifth straight and ninth in its last 10 games.
Kubel's opposite-field blast in the first inning barely cleared the wall in left to give the home team a 2-0 lead before Houston got on the board in the fourth when Maxwell ripped a ground-rule double into center field before J.D. Martinez coaxed a walk.
Miley retired the next two Astros, but Johnson came through with a two-out single to right to plate Maxwell and make it a 2-1 contest.
Arizona responded in a big way by plating five runs in the bottom half to build a 7-1 lead.
Chris Young started the frame with a double and Ryan Roberts followed with a walk. Miley then bunted, but Keuchel couldn't field the ball cleanly as Miley reached first to load the bases.
Willie Bloomquist plated the first run with a sacrifice fly and Aaron Hill followed with an RBI single to right to make it a 4-1 game.
Kubel then provided the big blow of the inning as he crushed his second homer of the game -- a three-run shot -- into the seats in right field.
Arizona continued to pile it on in the fifth as Young and Roberts each walked to start the frame. A double steal found runners on second and third and Bloomquist followed two batters later with a line-drive single to center to score Young and Roberts for a 9-1 lead.
Kubel launched his third home run of the game to leadoff the sixth inning as the Diamondbacks grabbed a 10-1 lead.
Maxwell's RBI single in the eighth made it a 10-2 game, but back-to-back RBI doubles from Henry Blanco and Young in the bottom half made it a 10-run difference.
Kubel had a chance for his fourth home run when he led off the bottom of the eighth, but Rhiner Cruz struck him out on four pitches to keep him from history.
Pinch-hitter Carlos Corporan slapped an RBI single in the ninth to account for the final margin.
Keuchel was recalled from Triple-A Oklahoma City to replaced pitcher Brett Myers, who was sent to the Chicago White Sox for pitching prospects Matt Heidenreich and Blair Walters and a player to be named later on Saturday...Arizona reinstated pitcher Takashi Saito from the 15-day disabled list and optioned pitcher Jonathan Albaladejo to Triple-A Reno. Saito allowed a hit, a walk and an unearned run in one inning of work.
- HOUSTON: 3
Jul 21 11:23 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Carlos Corporan single to right scored Chris Johnson with two out. Runner on first and Jose Altuve due up.
Astros 3, Diamondbacks 12 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 21 11:20 PM
- Chris Young double to left scored Henry Blanco with two out. Runner on second and Ryan Roberts due up.
Astros 2, Diamondbacks 12 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 21 11:05 PM
- Henry Blanco double to left scored Paul Goldschmidt with two out. Runner on second and Chris Young due up.
Astros 2, Diamondbacks 11 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 21 11:04 PM
- Justin Maxwell single to third scored Jose Altuve with one out. Runner on first and J.D. Martinez due up.
Astros 2, Diamondbacks 10 Top 8, 1 OutJul 21 10:51 PM
- Jason Kubel lead off Home Run 3 (20) to left center. Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Astros 1, Diamondbacks 10 Bot 6, 0 OutsJul 21 10:16 PM
- Willie Bloomquist single to center scored Chris Young and Ryan Roberts with one out. Runner on first and Aaron Hill due up.
Astros 1, Diamondbacks 9 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 21 10:05 PM
- Jason Kubel one-out, three-run Home Run 2 (19) to right scored Wade Miley and Aaron Hill. Paul Goldschmidt due up.
Astros 1, Diamondbacks 7 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 21 9:39 PM
- Aaron Hill single to right scored Ryan Roberts with one out. On the play, Wade Miley advanced to second. Runners on first and second and Jason Kubel due up.
Astros 1, Diamondbacks 4 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 21 9:37 PM
- Willie Bloomquist sacrifice fly out to right scored Chris Young with one out. On the play, Ryan Roberts advanced to third. Runners on first and third and Aaron Hill due up.
Astros 1, Diamondbacks 3 Bot 4, 1 OutJul 21 9:35 PM
- Chris Snyder walked. Bases loaded with two outs and Dallas Keuchel due up.
Astros 1, Diamondbacks 2 Top 4, 2 OutsJul 21 9:23 PM
- Paul Goldschmidt grounded out short to first. None on with two outs and Justin Upton due up.
Astros 0, Diamondbacks 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 21 8:27 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 21 8:12 PM
- Astros acquire Guzman from Padres 6:43p
- Astros, Albers agree on 1-year deal Tue
- Astros, Albers agree to one-year deal Mon
- Arizona acquires closer Reed from White Sox Mon
- Astros acquire RHP Bass from Padres Dec 11
- Angels acquire Skaggs, Santiago in 3-team deal Dec 10
- Houston inks Qualls to 2-year deal Dec 7
- Astros sign Feldman Dec 6
- Astros acquire Fowler from Rockies Dec 3
- Diamondbacks name Harkey pitching coach Dec 2
- Crane suing former Astros owner, Comcast and NBC Nov 22
- Astros to host 2014 Civil Rights Game Nov 19