Crawford's hit in ninth boosts Giants over PadresJul 25, 2012 - 6:28 AM
Belt, who replaced an injured Pablo Sandoval in the third, worked a walk, moved to second when Angel Pagan singled before advancing to third on a passed ball. With the infield drawn in, Crawford ripped a liner to right- center to bring in the winning run.
"It feels good obviously," Crawford said. "I've been coming through lately in clutch situations and getting RBI's, and to do it at home and in the bottom of the ninth is even better."
With Chase Headley on first and one out in the eighth, Carlos Quentin ripped a ball into the gap in left-center but Pagan made an incredible diving-catch and fired to first to double-up Headley. The catch surely saved a run as Headley was already around second when Pagan made the snag.
Santiago Casilla (4-4) earned the win after tossing a hitless ninth. Madison Bumgarner started the game for the Giants, allowing both of the Padres runs on six hits while striking out nine in seven innings.
Joe Thatcher (0-4) was pegged with the loss after failing to record an out in the ninth.
The Giants took a 2-0 lead in the first. Nate Schierholtz doubled before Ryan Theriot singled to put runners at first and third. Melky Cabrera grounded out to plate Schierholtz and moved Theriot to second. Theriot advanced to third on a passed ball before Sandoval followed with a double off the fence in right-center to score the second baseman.
The Padres answered back with a pair of their own in the second. Quentin doubled then scored when Jesus Guzman ripped a double of his own. Edinson Volquez singled two batter later to plate Guzman.
"It was a well-played game, " said Padres manager Bud Black "A fabulous catch by Pagan, no doubt about it saved the game. One of the best games I've seen in a long, long time."
Sandoval left the game in the third after injuring his hamstring stretching for a ball to complete a double play. Quentin ripped a grounder to the right side but it was speared by Theriot. Theriot flipped the ball to Crawford, who jumped and delivered a throw to Sandoval at first. Sandoval went into a split to catch the ball before Quentin crossed the base and was able to keep his foot on the bag to complete the inning-ending double play.
"It's really a bad break," Giants manager Bruce Bochy said of Sandoval's injury. "He's been locked in at the plate and it's a really tough loss."
Sandoval will undergo an MRI on Wednesday.
"We don't know the extent of it but he is going to be down a few days at least," Bochy said. "We just have to find out how bad it is (Wednesday) with the MRI and hopefully we get good news."
Melky Cabrera extended his hitting streak to 11 games...The Giants have won their last six home games and nine of their last 11 overall. They are a season-high 13 games over .500...Volquez started the game for San Diego and allowed two runs on three hits and fanned eight over seven frames...The Padres finished 2-for-11 with runners in scoring position.
- SAN DIEGO: 2
SAN FRANCISCO: 3
Jul 25 1:05 AM
- Brandon Crawford singled to center scored Brandon Belt with none out to end the game.
Padres 2, Giants 3 Bot 9, 0 OutsJul 25 1:05 AM
- Chris Denorfia grounded out short to first to end the inning.
Padres 2, Giants 2 Mid 2Jul 24 10:50 PM
- Jesus Guzman doubled to left center scored Carlos Quentin. Runner on second with one out and Yonder Alonso due up.
Padres 1, Giants 2 Top 2, 1 OutJul 24 10:43 PM
- Pablo Sandoval doubled to right center scored Ryan Theriot. Runner on second with two outs and Angel Pagan due up.
Padres 0, Giants 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 24 10:32 PM
- Melky Cabrera grounded out second to first scored Nate Schierholtz. On the play, Ryan Theriot advances to second. Runner on second with one out and Buster Posey due up.
Padres 0, Giants 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 24 10:28 PM
- SAN DIEGO: 0
SAN FRANCISCO: 0
Top 1, 2 Outs
Jul 24 10:20 PM
- Rockies hold on, edge Giants in slugfest 2:18a
- Nats edge Padres in 10 innings 2:02a
- Giants seek another win over Rockies Fri
- Burch hopes for better results in San Diego Fri
- Strasburg shines as Nats down Padres Fri
- Crawford, Giants beat Rockies Fri
- Giants aim to continue dominance of Rockies Thu
- Strasburg tries to get off the schneid in opener with Padres Thu
- Jays sweep Giants Thu
- Padres beat up O's, sweep two-game set Thu
- Giants hope Vogelsong bounces back in Toronto Wed
- Orioles hand Garcia ball in matchup versus Padres Wed