Lynn tries to continue mastery of Cubs in opener at WrigleyJul 27, 2012 - 1:27 PM
Lynn, who is a solid 12-4 on the season, is 3-0 with a minuscule 0.93 ERA along with 17 strikeouts in 19 1/3 innings over three starts against the Cubs this season. Another victory Friday afternoon would give Lynn an NL best-tying 13th victory.
He is a perfect 2-0 in three starts during July and is coming off six shutout innings in his last start, also versus Chicago, a 7-0 Cards win last Sunday.
"Before the All-Star break, I had those few starts that were pretty miserable, and it upset me," Lynn said. "I'm pitching with a little chip on my shoulder, trying to get as many outs as I can before they come get me."
Travis Wood will again counter Lynn for the Cubs on the heels of being touched for seven runs on nine hits over six innings last weekend.
The Cardinals are coming off an impressive 6-1 homestand, finishing things by taking three of four from the Los Angeles Dodgers to climb within 5 1/2 games of Cincinnati in the NL Central
David Freese helped cap the residency in winning fashion by tallying three hits, two RBI and a pair of runs scored, while Matt Holliday added two hits, including a solo homer, to go with two runs scored on Thursday as St. Louis downed the Dodgers, 7-4.
Freese, who left the contest in the sixth due to cramping in his right calf, is 16-for-28 during a nine-game hitting streak.
Matt Carpenter registered three hits and an RBI against LA, Tony Cruz recorded two hits and a pair of RBI and Allen Craig had two hits, two runs scored and an RBI for St. Louis, which banged out a season-high 18 hits and took the last three games of the set.
"We're getting timely hits," Freese said. "You get timely hits and you add pitching and defense, that's a recipe for success."
The Cubs, meanwhile, are well off the pace, 17 1/2 behind the Reds in the Central but are coming off an impressive series in Pittsburgh in which they took two of three.
The Pirates salvaged the finale on Wednesday when Garrett Jones' RBI double in the sixth inning proved to be the difference in a 3-2 win.
Anthony Rizzo hit a solo homer and knocked in both of Chicago's runs. Ryan Dempster (5-5), a hot topic of trade rumors, allowed three runs on five hits over six innings to take the loss.
"I had a job to do today and that's really important to me so I had to try to separate the two things," Dempster said. "I have tonight and an off-day (Thursday) to look at a couple different things and see what the possibilities are."
The Cardinals outscored the Cubs 23-1 in sweeping last weekend's three-game series and are 7-4 against Chicago this season.
- ST. LOUIS: 9
Jul 27 5:26 PM
- Matt Holliday single to center scored Jon Jay. Runner on first with none out and Allen Craig due up.
Cardinals 9, Cubs 6 Top 7, 0 OutsJul 27 4:26 PM
- Lance Berkman flied out to right. None on with two outs and Yadier Molina due up.
Cardinals 8, Cubs 6 Top 5, 2 OutsJul 27 3:52 PM
- Matt Carpenter lead-off Home Run (4) to right. Daniel Descalso due up.
Cardinals 7, Cubs 6 Top 4, 0 OutsJul 27 3:32 PM
- Geovany Soto single to center scored Alfonso Soriano. Runner on first with one out and Darwin Barney due up.
Cardinals 6, Cubs 6 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 27 3:25 PM
- Alfonso Soriano double to left scored Anthony Rizzo. On the play, Alfonso Soriano advances to third on the throw. Runner on third with none out and Bryan LaHair due up.
Cardinals 6, Cubs 5 Bot 3, 0 OutsJul 27 3:23 PM
- Anthony Rizzo single to left scored Starlin Castro. Runner on first with none out and Alfonso Soriano due up.
Cardinals 6, Cubs 4 Bot 3, 0 OutsJul 27 3:21 PM
- Lance Berkman two-out, solo Home Run (2) to left. Yadier Molina due up.
Cardinals 6, Cubs 3 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 27 3:13 PM
- Lance Lynn sacrifice fly to right scored Daniel Descalso. None on with one out and Rafael Furcal due up.
Cardinals 5, Cubs 3 Top 2, 1 OutJul 27 2:57 PM
- Daniel Descalso triple to right scored Matt Carpenter. Runner on third with none out and Lance Lynn due up.
Cardinals 4, Cubs 3 Top 2, 0 OutsJul 27 2:55 PM
- Yadier Molina none-out, two-run Home Run (16) to left scored Lance Berkman. Matt Carpenter due up.
Cardinals 3, Cubs 3 Top 2, 0 OutsJul 27 2:52 PM
- Anthony Rizzo none-out, two-run Home Run (6) to right scored Starlin Castro. Alfonso Soriano due up.
Cardinals 1, Cubs 3 Bot 1, 0 OutsJul 27 2:37 PM
- Matt Holliday two-out, solo Home Run (18) to center. Allen Craig due up.
Cardinals 1, Cubs 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 27 2:27 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 27 2:22 PM
- Hanigan blasts Reds over Cubs 2:57a
- Lynn tosses Cards over Dodgers 1:48a
- Reds rely on Arroyo in opener with Cubs Fri
- Dodgers return home to face Cards Fri
- McCutchen helps Pirates sweep Cubs Thu
- Pirates eye sweep of Cubs Thu
- Cards take series in San Diego; Lyons wins debut Thu
- Liriano strong again as Pirates edge Cubs Thu
- Cubs' Camp lands on DL Wed
- Cardinals send Salas to DL, promote Lyons Wed
- Report: Cardinals' Garcia to have season-ending surgery Wed
- Cards try for 30th victory in finale with Padres Wed