Gonzalez shoots for 14th win, as Nats wrap up set with BrewersJul 29, 2012 - 1:16 PM (Sports Network) - Gio Gonzalez goes after his 14th win of the season this afternoon when the Washington Nationals conclude a four-game set with the Milwaukee Brewers at Miller Park.
After a brief two-game losing streak, Gonzalez got himself back into the win column on Tuesday with a spectacular effort against the New York Mets, as he held them to an unearned run and two hits in seven innings. He also walked two and struck out four, while improving to 13-5 to go along with a 3.13 ERA.
"I think it was just one of those things where you want to bounce back," Gonzalez said. "You want to bounce back as a pitcher. You don't want to feel down and out. These guys came up to me and gave me some positive energy, positive feedback. I wanted to go out there and give them everything I can."
Gonzalez, who has never faced the Brewers, is tied for the National League lead in wins with St. Louis' Lance Lynn and New York's R.A. Dickey, who also pitches on Sunday. Tampa Bay's David Price is the only starter in the league with 14 victories.
Milwaukee had hoped to start Zack Greinke this afternoon, but the former AL Cy Young Award winner was shipped to the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim on Friday. So instead it will be former first round pick Mark Rogers.
Rogers, the fifth overall pick in the 2004 draft, made two starts and appeared in four games for the Brewers in 2010 and pitched to a 1.80 ERA in 10 innings.
"I'm back, hopefully, to the guy [Roenicke] saw on the film," Rogers said. "Over the last month, I feel like my stuff is better than it was back in 2010. I think that has a lot to do with repeating my delivery, being consistent and being confident. Confidence is so important. I feel like I'm back to being confident again and trusting my stuff."
On Saturday, Washington hit three home runs to back six strong innings from Jordan Zimmermann as the Nationals rolled to a 4-1 win. Corey Brown, Tyler Moore and Ryan Zimmerman each went deep for the Nationals, who have won seven of their last eight games.
Zimmermann (8-6) allowed one run on five hits and a walk while striking out five to win his fifth straight decision. Tyler Clippard tossed a perfect ninth to record his 19th save of the season.
Randy Wolf (3-7) surrendered all four runs on nine hits and a walk through seven innings to take the loss for Milwaukee, which has dropped eight of its last nine.
"I thought he threw the ball well. They didn't square up too many balls against him. They squared up on four balls and three were home runs," Brewers manager Ron Roenicke said about Wolf. "It's frustrating for him. I know how hard he works. When he makes a mistake it ends up being a home run."
Washington won three straight in April and Milwaukee took three straight in May. The Brewers have won the season series each year since 2006.
- WASHINGTON: 11
Jul 29 6:37 PM
- Corey Hart lead-off Home Run (19) to center. Rickie Weeks due up.
Nationals 11, Brewers 10 Bot 11, 0 OutsJul 29 6:26 PM
- Michael Morse double to left scored Bryce Harper and Ryan Zimmerman. Runner on second with one out and Danny Espinosa due up.
Nationals 11, Brewers 9 Top 11, 1 OutJul 29 6:07 PM
- Roger Bernadina flied out to left to end the inning.
Nationals 9, Brewers 9 Mid 9Jul 29 5:38 PM
- Corey Hart doubled to left. Runner on second with two outs and Rickie Weeks due up.
Nationals 7, Brewers 9 Bot 8, 2 OutsJul 29 5:18 PM
- John Axford's wild pitch scored Corey Brown. None on with two outs and Bryce Harper at the plate.
Nationals 7, Brewers 7 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 29 5:08 PM
- Steve Lombardozzi ground out second to first scored Jesus Flores. On the play, Corey Brown advances to third. Runner on third with two outs and Bryce Harper due up.
Nationals 6, Brewers 7 Top 8, 2 OutsJul 29 5:07 PM
- Roger Bernadina one-out, two-run Home Run (3) to center scored Michael Morse. Jesus Flores due up.
Nationals 5, Brewers 7 Top 8, 1 OutJul 29 4:59 PM
- Rickie Weeks none-out, two-run Home Run (11) to center scored Corey Hart. Jonathan Lucroy due up.
Nationals 3, Brewers 7 Bot 7, 0 OutsJul 29 4:45 PM
- Ryan Zimmerman grounded into a double play, third to first scored Corey Brown. On the play, Bryce Harper advances to second and Steve Lombardozzi out at third. Runner on second with two outs and Tyler Moore due up.
Nationals 3, Brewers 5 Top 7, 2 OutsJul 29 4:33 PM
- Carlos Gomez sacrifice fly to center scored Cody Ransom. Runners on first and second with two outs and Ryan Braun due up.
Nationals 2, Brewers 5 Bot 6, 2 OutsJul 29 4:20 PM
- Norichika Aoki sacrificed to pitcher. On the play, Norichika reached first on Gio Gonzalez's throwing error scoring Jonathan Lucroy. On the play, Aramis Ramirez advances to second and Cody Ransom advances to third. Bases loaded with one out and Carlos Gomez due up.
Nationals 2, Brewers 4 Bot 6, 1 OutJul 29 4:20 PM
- Tyler Moore double to left scored Ryan Zimmerman. Runner on second with none out and Michael Morse due up.
Nationals 2, Brewers 3 Top 6, 0 OutsJul 29 3:52 PM
- Corey Hart singled to left. On the play, Ryan Braun scores on Corey Hart's run down. None on with one out and Rickie Weeks due up.
Nationals 1, Brewers 3 Bot 3, 1 OutJul 29 3:03 PM
- Cody Ransom infield single to pitcher scored Corey Hart. On the play, Jonathan Lucroy advances to second and Rickie Weeks advances to third. Bases loaded with two outs and Cesar Izturis due up.
Nationals 1, Brewers 2 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 29 2:33 PM
- Jonathan Lucroy walk scored Carlos Gomez. Bases loaded with two outs and Cody Ransom due up.
Nationals 1, Brewers 1 Bot 1, 2 OutsJul 29 2:32 PM
- Steve Lombardozzi lead-off Home Run (2) to right. Bryce Harper due up.
Nationals 1, Brewers 0 Top 1, 0 OutsJul 29 2:13 PM
- WASHINGTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 29 2:11 PM
- Nationals reach deal with McLouth Fri
- Royals acquire Aoki from Brewers Thu
- Nats acquire Fister from Tigers Dec 2
- A's acquire Abad from Nationals Nov 25
- Red Sox acquire Badenhop from Brewers Nov 22
- Nationals sign Young, Alfaro to minor league deals Nov 20
- Nationals officially name Matt Williams manager Oct 31
- Nats' Strasburg, Harper undergo surgeries Oct 26
- Matt Williams to become new Nationals manager Oct 25
- Cubs claim Gamel from Brewers Oct 3
- D-backs rally to end season with win over Nats Sep 29
- Mets cap season with win over Brewers Sep 29