Estrada eyes first win against AstrosJul 30, 2012 - 3:15 PM
A 29-year-old Mexican, Estrada has made 11 starts and six relief outings while pitching 67 2/3 innings in his third season with the Brewers since he was claimed off waivers from the Washington Nationals in 2010.
He started once and relieved six times with Milwaukee in 2010, then started seven times among 43 appearances last season before working his way into an injury-riddled rotation this year.
Estrada's last decision came after a tough-luck seven innings at Cincinnati on July 20, when he allowed three runs and struck out five en route to a 3-1 loss to the Reds.
In one outing since, he was touched for five runs in eight hits in four innings of Milwaukee's 7-6 loss at Philadelphia in July 25.
Estrada has a 3.52 earned run average in six meetings - all in relief - against the Astros across 7 2/3 innings.
The Brewers are 5-12 in games he's pitched.
Houston counters with righty Bud Norris, who's not won since May 21.
The California-born 27-year-old was winless for the ninth straight start against the Reds on July 25 after allowing just a run on five hits in seven innings of Houston's 5-3 loss.
He defeated the Chicago Cubs with seven innings of scoreless ball for his last win and is 0-7 since while his ERA has swelled from 3.14 to 5.05.
In nine career starts against Milwaukee, Norris is 4-3 with a 4.50 ERA.
On Sunday in Houston, Jordan Schafer drove in three runs and the Astros ended a 12-game losing streak, beating the Pittsburgh Pirates 9-5.
Schafer delivered the go-ahead home run for the Astros, who avoided a four- game sweep.
Lucas Harrell (8-7) tossed another strong outing for Houston, giving up two runs on five hits in 5 2/3 innings. The rookie has a 1.86 earned run average in four starts since the All-Star break.
In Milwaukee, Michael Morse clubbed a game-tying, two-run homer in the ninth to send the game to extras, and then ripped a go-ahead two-run double in the 11th as the Nationals took a thrilling 11-10 victory over the Brewers in the finale of a four-game set.
Rickie Weeks belted a two-run shot and Hart finished with four hits and scored three times for the Brewers, who lost for the ninth time in their last 10 games.
Mark Rogers made his first start in nearly two years for the Brewers after being recalled from Triple-A Nashville to start for Zack Greinke, who was shipped to the Los Angeles Angels on Friday.
The teams have split eight meetings thus far in 2012, with Milwaukee winning two of three in April, the Astros sweeping a two-game series in May and the Brewers winning two of three in July.
The Brewers won the season series in 2011, 12 games to three.
- HOUSTON: 7
Jul 30 11:44 PM
- Steve Pearce sacrifice fly out to right scored Jose Altuve with two out. On the play, Justin Maxwell advances to third. Runner on third and Brett Wallace due up.
Astros 7, Brewers 8 Top 9, 2 OutsJul 30 11:39 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Justin Maxwell double to left center scored Brian Bogusevic with one out. On the play, Jose Altuve advances to third. Runners on second and third and Steve Pearce due up.
Astros 6, Brewers 8 Top 9, 1 OutJul 30 11:35 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Brian Bogusevic single to center scored Jordan Schafer with one out. Runner on first and Jose Altuve due up.
Astros 5, Brewers 8 Top 9, 1 OutJul 30 11:26 PM
- Cody Ransom none-out, three-run Home Run (9) to left center scored Nyjer Morgan and Cesar Izturis. Norichika Aoki due up.
Astros 4, Brewers 8 Bot 8, 0 OutsJul 30 11:12 PM
- Cesar Izturis single to pitcher scored Jonathan Lucroy with none out. On the play, Nyjer Morgan advances to second. Runners on first and second and Cody Ransom due up.
Astros 4, Brewers 5 Bot 8, 0 OutsJul 30 11:11 PM
- Steve Pearce double to right scored Jose Altuve with one out. Runner on second and Brett Wallace due up.
Astros 4, Brewers 4 Top 8, 1 OutJul 30 10:50 PM
- Aramis Ramirez stole second. Carlos Gomez stole third. Runners on second and third with one out and Corey Hart at the plate.
Astros 3, Brewers 4 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 30 10:38 PM
- Carlos Gomez singled to left. On the play, Norichika Aoki advances to second. Runners on first and second with one out and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Astros 3, Brewers 3 Bot 7, 1 OutJul 30 10:32 PM
- Nyjer Morgan none-out, two-run Home Run (3) to right center scored Jonathan Lucroy. Cesar Izturis due up.
Astros 3, Brewers 2 Bot 7, 0 OutsJul 30 10:23 PM
- Scott Moore lead-off Home Run (5) to right. Carlos Corporan due up.
Astros 3, Brewers 0 Top 7, 0 OutsJul 30 10:11 PM
- Marwin Gonzalez singled to right. Runner on first with two outs and Steve Pearce due up.
Astros 2, Brewers 0 Top 3, 2 OutsJul 30 8:49 PM
- Steve Pearce sacrifice fly out to center scored Jose Altuve with two out. None on and Brett Wallace due up.
Astros 1, Brewers 0 Top 1, 2 OutsJul 30 8:17 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 30 8:10 PM
- Lohse hopes to deliver series win for Brewers in St. Louis 9:54a
- Locke eyes a win in rubber match against Astros 9:26a
- Brewers top Cardinals in 10 innings 2:00a
- Astros edge Pirates in 11 innings 12:50a
- Rounding Third: Astros take step in the right direction Sat
- Lynn shoots for seventh win of year against Brewers Sat
- Burnett hopes to add to Astros' woes Sat
- Streaking Pirates best Astros on 9th-inning error Sat
- Freese helps Cardinals outslug Brewers Sat
- Reid Ryan named Astros president Fri
- Astros renew old rivalry against Pirates Fri
- Cards hope to get back into win column against Milwaukee Fri