Hart and Ramirez power Brewers to rout of AstrosAug 1, 2012 - 4:06 AM
Ramirez finished the game 3-for-4 with four RBI and Nyjer Morgan knocked in two runs with a pinch-hit single in the eighth inning for the Brewers, winners in three of five.
"That's what I'm here for," Ramirez said. " I'm here to drive in runs and I've been doing that lately."
Yovani Gallardo (9-8) earned the win after allowing just one run on three hits and striking out five over seven frames.
" It was a nice ball game, (Gallardo) was really good," Brewers manager Rob Roenicke said. "Great offense today. (Gallardo) wanted to go another inning, but I was iffy either war. His stuff was really good but his command was a little off."
Chris Snyder homered for Houston, which is 2-17 since the All-Star break.
Dallas Kuechel (1-4) was pegged with the loss after giving up seven runs on seven hits over just four-plus innings. Kuechel walked a career-high six and struck out just one.
"What was tough for us was (Kuechel's) command," Astros manager Brad Mills said. "Six walks is tough, and so was getting behind in the count. We have to readdress those issues."
The Brewers went up 1-0 in the first. Norichika Aoki singled, moved to second on Carlos Gomez's sacrifice, then scored when Ramirez roped a single to left.
Milwaukee added another run in the second. With Rickie Weeks on third, Gallardo laid down a perfect bunt to execute a safety squeeze. Gallardo pushed the ball up the first base line as Weeks broke for home. He scored without a throw and Gallardo had a base hit.
Snyder's homer in the third got Houston on the board.
The Brewers came back with three more in the home half to extend their lead to 5-1. Gomez doubled and Braun walked before Ramirez crushed a three-run shot into the seats in right-center.
Milwaukee added another trio of runs in the fifth when Hart lifted a homer. Ryan Braun and Ramirez singled to set the table for Hart who hammered his 20th homer of the season off the scoreboard in center.
Gallardo has won his past eight starts against Houston...Hart has appeared in 56 games at first base this season without committing an error. He is the only player in the majors to make at least 45 starts at first without committing an error...The loss gives the Astros their 10th consecutive series defeat. Houston has not won a series since it took two of three from the Cleveland Indians June 22-24.
- HOUSTON: 1
Jul 31 11:09 PM
- Pinch-Hitter Nyjer Morgan single to right scored Norichika Aoki and Carlos Gomez with none out. Runner on first and Aramis Ramirez due up.
Astros 1, Brewers 10 Bot 8, 0 OutsJul 31 10:57 PM
- Rickie Weeks lined out to center. None on with one out and Martin Maldonado due up.
Astros 1, Brewers 8 Bot 5, 1 OutJul 31 9:53 PM
- Aramis Ramirez none-out, three-run Home Run (13) to right center scored Carlos Gomez and Ryan Braun. Corey Hart due up.
Astros 1, Brewers 5 Bot 3, 0 OutsJul 31 9:08 PM
- Chris Snyder none-out, solo Home Run (5) to left center. Jordan Schafer due up.
Astros 1, Brewers 2 Top 3, 0 OutsJul 31 8:54 PM
- Yovani Gallardo bunt single to the pitcher scored Rickie Weeks with one out. On the play, Martin Maldonado advances to second. Runners on first and second and Norichika Aoki due up.
Astros 0, Brewers 2 Bot 2, 1 OutJul 31 8:49 PM
- Aramis Ramirez single to left scored Norichika Aoki with one out. On the play, Ryan Braun advances to third. Runners on first and third and Corey Hart due up.
Astros 0, Brewers 1 Bot 1, 1 OutJul 31 8:27 PM
- HOUSTON: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Jul 31 8:10 PM
- Astros acquire RHP Bass from Padres Wed
- Houston inks Qualls to 2-year deal Dec 7
- Astros sign Feldman Dec 6
- Royals acquire Aoki from Brewers Dec 5
- Astros acquire Fowler from Rockies Dec 3
- Red Sox acquire Badenhop from Brewers Nov 22
- Crane suing former Astros owner, Comcast and NBC Nov 22
- Astros to host 2014 Civil Rights Game Nov 19
- Astros claim Downs from Detroit Nov 1
- Astros name Brent Strom pitching coach Oct 22
- Cubs claim Gamel from Brewers Oct 3
- Astros decline Humber's contract option Oct 2