Hamels' arm, Howard's bat get Phils past BravesAug 8, 2012 - 4:39 AM
Hamels (12-6) gave up five hits, fanned six and did not issue a walk to gain his first win in four starts.
It marked his first complete game since September 8, 2011 at Milwaukee and was the left-hander's first regular season shutout since September 1, 2009 against San Francisco.
"Anytime you go out and put up zeroes and obviously finish a game, that's ultimately the goal every single time you're warming up before the game and from the first pitch on," Hamels said. "I was pleased I was able to work all four pitches and get ahead of hitters, and get outs."
Domonic Brown added an RBI double for the Phillies, who snapped a seven-game losing string to Atlanta.
Mike Minor (6-8) was tagged for seven hits and three runs over his seven- inning outing for the Braves, who lost for the second time in six contests.
The Phils dented Minor in their first turn at the plate. Jimmy Rollins doubled down the left-field line to lead off, Brown followed with a double to center, and, after a Chase Utley fly out, Howard reached the seats deep in left-center to make it 3-0.
"The game didn't start off too well. I didn't have my stuff early on," Minor said. "I pretty much battled throughout the game."
Hamels retired 10 in a row from Chipper Jones' second-inning single until Brian McCann singled and was thrown out by Brown trying to advance on his hit to end the fifth.
He worked around leadoff singles by Michael Bourn in the seventh and Freddie Freeman in the eighth, and after a pinch-single from Tyler Pastornicky with one out in the ninth, fanned Bourn swinging and induced a game-ending groundout from Martin Prado.
Minor, meanwhile, dealt with at least one baserunner from the second to the sixth, then was pulled despite retiring the side in order in the seventh.
In his last complete game, Hamels gave up two runs and four hits in a 7-2 decision against the Brewers, and his last shutout was a two-hit, nine- strikeout performance in a 1-0 home victory...This was Hamels' fifth career shutout and 11th complete game...Minor had tossed a four-hitter in his last start against the Phillies on July 28 in Atlanta, winning 2-1 by working eight full innings...Howard went deep for the first time since July 23...The Phillies hadn't beaten the Braves since a 4-0 road win on May 3.
- ATLANTA: 0
Aug 7 9:24 PM
- John Mayberry struck out swinging. None on with two outs and Erik Kratz due up.
Braves 0, Phillies 3 Bot 1, 2 OutsAug 7 7:25 PM
- Domonic Brown double to center scored Jimmy Rollins with none out. Runner on second and Chase Utley due up.
Braves 0, Phillies 1 Bot 1, 0 OutsAug 7 7:18 PM
- ATLANTA: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 7 7:07 PM
- Phillies sign catcher Nieves Thu
- Phillies acquire Lincoln from Jays for two players Tue
- Venters, Pena agree to terms with Braves Dec 2
- Phillies re-sign Ruiz to three-year contract Nov 21
- Phillies name McClure pitching coach Nov 21
- Reports: Phillies re-sign Ruiz Nov 18
- Phils sign four to minor league deals Nov 15
- Phillies ink Byrd to 2-year, $16 million deal Nov 12
- Reports: OF Byrd reaches agreement with Phillies Nov 12
- Braves leaving Turner Field after 2016 Nov 11
- Braves give McCann qualifying offer Nov 4
- Torre, La Russa, Cox among Hall Expansion Era eligibles Nov 4