Cards, Phils conclude set at Citizens Bank ParkAug 12, 2012 - 2:43 PM
Already with a club-high 13 wins this season, Lynn has also fashioned a 7-2 mark with a 3.78 ERA in 13 road starts. He's 1-0 over his last four road starts and hasn't lost outside Busch Stadium since June 19 at Detroit. He threw six frames in a loss to San Francisco on Tuesday. This will be his first career appearance against the Phillies.
Vance Worley will try to get back on the winning track after being pulled early in his last start, a 6-1 loss to Atlanta on Monday. Worley lasted just 3 2/3 innings, allowing six hits and four runs. This marks his second career start against the Cardinals.
Matt Holliday cracked a three-run home run to back 7 2/3 stellar innings from Jake Westbrook, and the Cardinals won, 4-1, last night. Carlos Beltran had an RBI single and Allen Craig went 3-for-5 with two runs scored for the defending World Series champs, who had lost three of their previous four entering play on Saturday.
Westbrook (12-8) threw 62 of his 93 pitches for strikes and allowed one run on four hits with three strikeouts and two walks. The righty also threw 16 ground ball outs. Marc Rzepczynski got the final out in the eighth and Jason Motte closed it out in the ninth for his 26th save of the year.
"Jake was as good as I think we've seen him," Cardinals manager Mike Matheny said. "You could tell that his sinker was really falling off the table, getting the guys to swing over it and lots of ground balls. There was a lot of action in the infield and the guys made the plays for him."
Cliff Lee (2-7) was tagged for four runs on 10 hits over seven-plus innings with six strikeouts and no walks. Lee remains winless at home this season and hasn't secured a victory at Citizens Bank Park since September 5, 2011.
"I thought for the first five innings tonight, he was really good," Phillies manager Charlie Manuel said of Lee's outing. "The sixth inning kind of got him though. We didn't get him any runs."
Ryan Howard drove in the only run of the night for the Phillies, who won the opener of this series on the strength of eight solid innings from ace Roy Halladay.
Last night, the Phillies lost for just the fourth time in their last 12 home games. They took three of four games from St. Louis in their initial series of 2012, from May 24-27 at Busch Stadium. The Cardinals won last year's series, 6-3.
The NL Central is the only division in which the Phillies have posted an above-.500 record against this season (16-8). The Phils have just one series loss in their seven total series against the Central in 2012 which was at Pittsburgh in the season opener, April 5-8.
- ST. LOUIS: 7
Aug 12 5:32 PM
- Juan Pierre infield single to short scored Jimmy Rollins with two outs to end the game.
Cardinals 7, Phillies 8 Bot 11, 2 OutsAug 12 5:32 PM
- Erik Kratz two-out, three-run Home Run (5) to left scored Chase Utley and Pinch-Runner Nate Schierholtz. Michael Martinez due up.
Cardinals 7, Phillies 7 Bot 8, 2 OutsAug 12 4:33 PM
- Matt Carpenter singled to left scored Jon Jay. Runner on first with one out and Matt Holliday due up.
Cardinals 7, Phillies 4 Top 8, 1 OutAug 12 4:13 PM
- Ryan Howard lead-off Home Run (7) to left center. Domonic Brown due up.
Cardinals 4, Phillies 4 Bot 4, 0 OutsAug 12 2:53 PM
- Matt Carpenter singled to center scored Jon Jay. Runner on first with one out and Matt Holliday due up.
Cardinals 4, Phillies 3 Top 4, 1 OutAug 12 2:46 PM
- Carlos Beltran doubled to right scored Matt Holliday. Runner on second with two outs and Allen Craig due up.
Cardinals 2, Phillies 3 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 12 2:25 PM
- Domonic Brown flied out to left. Runner on first with one out and John Mayberry due up.
Cardinals 1, Phillies 3 Bot 1, 1 OutAug 12 1:58 PM
- Chase Utley doubled to left center scored Juan Pierre and Kevin Frandsen. Runner on third with none out as Utley advances on the throw and Ryan Howard due up.
Cardinals 1, Phillies 2 Bot 1, 0 OutsAug 12 1:53 PM
- Matt Carpenter doubled to right center scored Jon Jay. Runner on second with none out and Matt Holliday due up.
Cardinals 1, Phillies 0 Top 1, 0 OutsAug 12 1:41 PM
- ST. LOUIS: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 12 1:38 PM
- Nats seek rebound effort from Haren against Phillies 10:55a
- NL-leading Cardinals go for another win over Dodgers 10:16a
- Lynn tosses Cards over Dodgers Sat
- Four-run fifth helps Nats down Phillies Sat
- Nats seek to get offense going against rival Phillies Fri
- Dodgers return home to face Cards Fri
- Oblique strain sends Phillies' Utley to DL Fri
- Cards take series in San Diego; Lyons wins debut Thu
- Lee's SO lifts Phillies in Miami Wed
- Cardinals send Salas to DL, promote Lyons Wed
- Report: Cardinals' Garcia to have season-ending surgery Wed
- Cards try for 30th victory in finale with Padres Wed