Giants ride Cain, offense past PadresAug 18, 2012 - 6:45 AM
Cain (12-5) scattered four hits and struck out six without issuing a walk to earn his 12th win for the fourth consecutive season.
Cain added an RBI single at the plate, Angel Pagan plated a pair and Marco Scutaro smacked a solo home run and knocked in two runs for the Giants, who won for the fourth time in their last six games.
"That's always going to be a plus when the guys put up a big lead like that," said Cain. "We have a great team and we have a good group of guys. It's just a matter of us putting it together."
Russ Ohlendorf (4-4) was shelled for eight runs on six hits and two walks over 2 1/3 innings to absorb the loss.
Everth Cabrera plated the lone run for the Padres, who have scored just two runs in their last four games, which have all been losses.
Scutaro's one-out homer to left in the top of the first gave the visitors a 1-0 lead before San Francisco erupted for eight in the third to blow the game open.
Brandon Crawford doubled to start the frame before Pagan stroked a one-out triple into right field as the Giants grabbed a 2-0 edge.
Scutaro then plated Pagan with a single to center to extend the margin to 3-0 before swiping second and alertly moving to third as Yasmani Grandal's throw skipped into center field.
Pablo Sandoval followed with a grounder into right field to score Scutaro, and after Buster Posey walked, Hunter Pence scorched a double into left field, scoring Sandoval.
Posey then crossed home on a passed ball by Grandal to press the lead to 6-0.
Ohlendorf then walked Brandon Belt to signal the end of his night as Miles Mikolas entered from the bullpen.
"He just couldn't really stop any of the momentum that the Giants had," said Padres manager Bud Black of Ohlendorf. "Nothing in particular, just the ball not really driven down in the zone."
Gregor Blanco greeted Mikolas with an RBI single to left and Cain helped his own cause two batters later with an RBI base hit of his own to plate Belt.
A wild pitch moved both runners up before Pagan slapped an infield single for his second RBI of the inning to cap the eight-run frame.
The lead was more than enough for Cain, who held the Padres hitless before Yonder Alonso's one-out double in the fifth.
Alonso scored two batters later on Cabrera's single, but Cain blanked the Padres over the next three frames before George Kontos closed things out with a scoreless ninth.
Belt's RBI base hit to left in the top of the ninth scored Posey to account for the final margin.
Cain improved to 7-11 in 30 career starts against the Padres ... Grandal was activated from the 15-day disabled list before the game and catcher Nick Hundley was placed on the 15-day DL ... The Giants recalled outfielder Justin Christian and pitcher Erick Hacker from Triple-A Fresno before the game.
- SAN FRANCISCO: 10
SAN DIEGO: 1
Aug 18 12:59 AM
- Brandon Belt single to left scored Buster Posey with none out. On the play, Hunter Pence advances to second. Runners on first and second and Gregor Blanco due up.
Giants 10, Padres 1 Top 9, 0 OutsAug 18 12:46 AM
- Everth Cabrera single to right scored Yonder Alonso with two out. Runner on first and Miles Mikolas due up.
Giants 9, Padres 1 Bot 5, 2 OutsAug 17 11:46 PM
- Marco Scutaro grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short. On the play, Angel Pagan out at second to end the inning.
Giants 9, Padres 0 Mid 3Aug 17 11:09 PM
- Brandon Crawford grounded into a fielder's choice, second to short. Gregor Blanco out at second. Brandon Belt advances to third. Runners on first and third with two outs and Matt Cain due up.
Giants 7, Padres 0 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 17 11:04 PM
- Brandon Belt walked. Runners on first and third with one out and Gregor Blanco due up.
Giants 6, Padres 0 Top 3, 1 OutAug 17 10:59 PM
- Hunter Pence double to left scored Pablo Sandoval with one out. On the play, Buster Posey advances to third. Runners on second and third and Brandon Belt due up.
Giants 5, Padres 0 Top 3, 1 OutAug 17 10:53 PM
- Pablo Sandoval single to right scored Marco Scutaro with one out. Runner on first and Buster Posey due up.
Giants 4, Padres 0 Top 3, 1 OutAug 17 10:49 PM
- Marco Scutaro single to center scored Angel Pagan with one out. Runner on first and Pablo Sandoval due up.
Giants 3, Padres 0 Top 3, 1 OutAug 17 10:43 PM
- Angel Pagan triple to right scored Brandon Crawford with one out. Runner on third and Marco Scutaro due up.
Giants 2, Padres 0 Top 3, 1 OutAug 17 10:42 PM
- Marco Scutaro one-out, solo Home Run (6) to left. Pablo Sandoval due up.
Giants 1, Padres 0 Top 1, 1 OutAug 17 10:09 PM
- SAN FRANCISCO: 0
SAN DIEGO: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 17 10:06 PM
- Nicasio sharp as Rockies blank slumping Giants 9:58p
- Padres club Nationals 9:53p
- Haren, Cashner face off in San Diego 9:28a
- Rockies target series win versus Zito and Giants 9:28a
- Rockies rout Giants behind Chatwood Sun
- Padres capitalize on error, edge Nats Sun
- Zimmermann vies to become majors' first 8-game winner in San Diego Sat
- Lincecum shoots for consecutive wins at Coors Sat
- Rockies hold on, edge Giants in slugfest Sat
- Nats edge Padres in 10 innings Sat
- Giants seek another win over Rockies Fri
- Burch hopes for better results in San Diego Fri