Weaver takes aim at 16th win as Angels battle Red SoxAug 22, 2012 - 2:32 PM (Sports Network) - Jered Weaver goes after his 16th win of the season when the Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim continue a three-game series with the Boston Red Sox at Fenway Park.
After winning nine straight starts Weaver has lost his last two and was roughed up badly by the Tampa Bay Rays his last time out. Weaver lasted only three innings in that one and surrendered a career-high nine runs and eight hits to fall to 15-3 on the year, while raising his ERA to 2.74.
"Jered's a guy who's been pitching really well, and sometimes you have games like this. But that's baseball," Angels second baseman Howie Kendrick said. "I'm pretty sure he'll bounce back his next start and keep moving forward."
Weaver has struggled against the Red Sox in his career, posting a 2-5 ledger to go along with a 4.41 ERA. He's also just 1-3 in six Fenway starts with a 7.16 ERA.
Boston, meanwhile, will counter with righty Clay Buchholz, who has won his last three decisions and is unbeaten in his last six starts. Buchholz beat the Baltimore Orioles on Thursday, holding them to three runs and eight hits in eight innings. He also struck out seven and improved to 11-3 and lowered his ERA to 4.19.
Buchholz has faced the Angels seven times and is 5-2 with a 3.95 ERA.
The Angels won for the fifth straight time with Ervin Santana on the mound in Tuesday's opener and defeated the Red Sox, 5-3.
Santana (7-10), who is 3-0 with a 3.52 earned run average over his last five outings, gave up two runs on five hits with four strikeouts in 6 1/3 innings en route to the win.
"We got early runs, which helped (Santana)," Angels manager Mike Scioscia said. "Then our bullpen came in and did the job that we needed and we expect."
Mark Trumbo crushed a decisive two-run home run as the Angels snapped a four- game losing streak.
Los Angeles roughed up Aaron Cook (3-7) for five runs -- four earned -- and 11 hits in five innings. Cook struck out a season-high four, but lost for the sixth time in his last seven decisions. The right-hander has a 6.25 ERA over his last six starts.
Jarrod Saltalamacchia homered in a losing effort, as the Red Sox fell for the ninth time in their last 13 games.
Boston took six of eight meetings with the Angels last season.
- LOS ANGELES: 7
Aug 22 10:28 PM
- Cody Ross doubled to right. On the play, Torii Hunter fielding error scored Dustin Pedroia with one out. Runner on second with one out and Jarrod Saltalamacchia due up.
Angels 7, Red Sox 3 Bot 8, 1 OutAug 22 9:54 PM
- Torii Hunter single to right center scored Maicer Izturis and Erick Aybar with two outs. On the play, Mike Trout advances to third. Runners on first and third and Vernon Wells due up.
Angels 7, Red Sox 2 Top 6, 2 OutsAug 22 9:09 PM
- Maicer Izturis singled to right. Runner on first with one out and Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 5, Red Sox 2 Top 6, 1 OutAug 22 8:55 PM
- Scott Podsednik grounded out second to first to end the inning.
Angels 4, Red Sox 2 End 4Aug 22 8:32 PM
- Maicer Izturis single to center scored Howie Kendrick with two outs. Runner on first and Erick Aybar due up.
Angels 4, Red Sox 0 Top 4, 2 OutsAug 22 8:18 PM
- Mark Trumbo singled to center scored Albert Pujols. Runner on first with one out and Howie Kendrick due up.
Angels 3, Red Sox 0 Top 4, 1 OutAug 22 8:13 PM
- Mike Trout grounded into a double play, short to second to first scored Erick Aybar with two outs. Chris Iannetta out at second. None on and Torii Hunter due up.
Angels 2, Red Sox 0 Top 3, 2 OutsAug 22 7:54 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Aug 22 7:20 PM
- LOS ANGELES: 0
Top 1, 0 Outs
Aug 22 7:12 PM
- Red Sox shoot for fifth straight win and sweep of Twins 9:26a
- Ortiz clubs two homers as Red Sox pound Twins 12:34a
- Angels outslug White Sox to end skid 8:45p
- White Sox aim to stay hot in Anaheim Sat
- Twins hope for some home cooking versus Red Sox Sat
- Gomes, Ellsbury help BoSox rally past Twins Sat
- Sale, White Sox shut out Angels Sat
- White Sox rely on Sale in Anaheim Fri
- Boston's Buchholz aims for win No. 7 against Twins Fri
- Red Sox rally in 9th to take series Fri
- White Sox rally past Angels Fri
- Hanrahan has surgeries, including Tommy John Thu