Lady Vols take care of DePaul to advance to Sweet 16Mar 20, 2012 - 4:50 AM Chicago, IL (Sports Network) - Shekinna Stricklen tallied 17 and nine rebounds as the second-seeded Tennessee Lady Volunteers defeated the seventh-seeded DePaul Blue Demons 63-48 in the second round of the NCAA Women's Tournament at Allstate Arena.
Vicki Baugh scored 16 points and Meighan Simmons added 13 points for Tennessee (26-8), while Glory Johnson ripped down 21 rebounds.
For DePaul (23-11), Anna Martin netted 20 points and Brittany Hrynko dished out six assists.
Tennessee took a 28-23 lead into halftime despite shooting an lowly 35.7 percent from the floor in the opening stanza. DePaul faired even worse, connecting on 28.6 percent of its field goal attempts in the frame.
Though the Lady Vols continued to struggle from the field after the break at 38.7 percent, they never trailed in the second half.
Tennessee made 15-of-18 of its free-throws, and while the Blue Demons were perfect from the line, they only attempted five foul shots.
The Lady Vols will play the winner of Tuesday's matchup between third-seeded Delaware and 11th-seeded Kansas in the Sweet 16.
- Fifth-seeded Louisville downs Lady Vols to earn Final Four berth Apr 2
- Lady Vols vault over Oklahoma in regional semifinals Mar 31
- Bluejays bow to Lady Vols in NCAA Tournament Mar 25
- A pair of double-doubles powers Cowgirls past DePaul Mar 24
- Lady Vols march on after dominating Oral Roberts Mar 23
- Stewart leads No. 3 UConn past DePaul in Big East quarters Mar 10
- Aggies edge Lady Vols in SEC semifinals Mar 9
- Tennessee dispatches Florida in SEC quarters Mar 8
- Mathies and O'Neill help Kentucky edge Tennessee Mar 3
- Lady Vols top No. 13 Texas A&M to claim SEC crown Feb 28
- Diggins' triple-double fuels Notre Dame in rout of DePaul Feb 24
- Smith guides Louisville over DePaul Feb 17