Lady Vols coast past Tennessee-Martin in first round actionMar 18, 2012 - 3:17 AM Chicago, Illinois (Sports Network) - Meighan Simmons scored a game-high 20 points as the second-seeded Tennessee Lady Volunteers made easy work of the 15th-seeded Tennessee-Martin Skyhawks 72-49 in the first round of the NCAA Women's Tournament at Allstate Arena.
Glory Johnson tallied a double-double with 14 points and 12 rebounds for Tennessee (25-8). Ten different players scored points for the Lady Vols.
For UT-Marin (23-9), Heather Butler led the way with 14 points and seven rebounds, while Jaclissa Haislip added 12 points and Jasmine Newsome chipped in with 10 points.
Despite shooting just 39.5 percent from the field in the first half, Tennessee took a 35-26 lead at the half.
The Lady Vols connected on 6-of-11 from three-point range after the break as they kept a comfortable lead throughout.
UT-Martin shot poorly on the afternoon, making just 19-of-66 (28.8 percent) of its field.
Tennessee will play seventh-seeded DePaul in the second round.
- UT-MARTIN: 49
Mar 17 5:53 PM
- UT-MARTIN: 26
Mar 17 4:50 PM
- UT-MARTIN: 0
1st Half - 20:00
Mar 17 4:14 PM
- Fifth-seeded Louisville downs Lady Vols to earn Final Four berth Apr 2
- Lady Vols vault over Oklahoma in regional semifinals Mar 31
- Bluejays bow to Lady Vols in NCAA Tournament Mar 25
- Loyd, McBride lead top-seeded Notre Dame over UT Martin Mar 24
- Lady Vols march on after dominating Oral Roberts Mar 23
- Aggies edge Lady Vols in SEC semifinals Mar 9
- Tennessee dispatches Florida in SEC quarters Mar 8
- Mathies and O'Neill help Kentucky edge Tennessee Mar 3
- Lady Vols top No. 13 Texas A&M to claim SEC crown Feb 28
- Missouri's second-half surge hands Tennessee first conference loss Feb 3
- Lady Vols stymie Mississippi State in lopsided win Jan 31
- Diggins leads Notre Dame past Tennessee Jan 28