Niemi leads Sharks over DucksJan 5, 2012 - 6:31 AM
Brad Winchester and Benn Ferriero scored 27 seconds apart in the second period for the Sharks, who have earned at least a point in nine of their last 10 games (6-1-3).
San Jose snapped a four-game losing streak against the Ducks.
"I'd like to think our guys are beginning to believe us as coaches, that three is our number," Sharks head coach Todd McLellan said. "We have to work both offensively and defensively towards that, that every play is important on both sides of the puck. When guys believe that and buy into that they tend to play more consistent."
Jonas Hiller stopped 33-of-36 shots for Anaheim, which has dropped the first three of a six-game homestand and seven of eight overall.
Despite a 12-3 edge in shots in the first period, the Sharks trailed 1-0 on a goal by Corey Perry.
Winchester fired home a wrister from the top of the left circle to pull San Jose even at the 16:23 mark of the middle stanza. A diving Ferriero scored from in tight to put the visitors on top.
Joe Pavelski provided some insurance in the third period. Patrick Marleau created a turnover in the neutral zone and Hiller turned away a high shot by Joe Thornton, but Pavelski buried the rebound at 12:43.
"It's a tough way to end the third period," Perry said. "We had (16) shots in the third period and two posts. We had our chances. Then, they get the third one and that one hurts. Those are the ones we want to have back. We want to bury our chances as well."
Both teams went 0-for-4 on the power play...Anaheim forward Jason Blake returned to the lineup after missing 34 games with tendon damage above his left wrist...Perry has 399 career points.
- SAN JOSE: 3
Jan 5 12:25 AM
- San Jose Goal - Joe Pavelski (16), from Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau at 12:43.
Sharks 3, Ducks 1 3rd - 7:17Jan 5 12:09 AM
- SAN JOSE: 2
End of 2nd
Jan 4 11:35 PM
- San Jose Goal - Benn Ferriero (4), at 16:50.
Sharks 2, Ducks 1 2nd - 3:10Jan 4 11:29 PM
- San Jose Goal - Brad Winchester (4), at 16:23.
Sharks 1, Ducks 1 2nd - 3:37Jan 4 11:27 PM
- SAN JOSE: 0
End of 1st
Jan 4 10:42 PM
- Marc-Edouard Vlasic wrist shot on Jonas Hiller.
Sharks 0, Ducks 1 1st - 16:34Jan 4 10:14 PM
- Corey Perry backhand shot on Antti Niemi.
Sharks 0, Ducks 0 1st - 17:23Jan 4 10:13 PM
- Anaheim Goal - Corey Perry (15), at 2:37.
Sharks 0, Ducks 1 1st - 17:23Jan 4 10:13 PM
- SAN JOSE: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 4 10:09 PM
- Sharks take Game 3, down Kings in OT 1:56a
- NHL fines Sharks $100,000 for Wilson comments 6:11p
- Havlat to make return in Game 3 Sat
- Kings aim for 3-0 lead in San Jose Sat
- Sharks GM Wilson takes issue with Torres suspension Fri
- Top Shelf: Shanny bans Torres for his past Fri
- Boudreau, MacLean, Quenneville named finalists for Adams Award Fri
- Kings rally past Sharks Fri
- Torres banned for rest of Round 2 for hit on Kings' Stoll Thu
- Kings aim for 2-0 lead against Sharks Thu
- Kings blank Sharks to draw first blood Wed
- Anaheim D Beauchemin headed for knee surgery Tue