Niemi leads Sharks over DucksJan 5, 2012 - 6:31 AM
Brad Winchester and Benn Ferriero scored 27 seconds apart in the second period for the Sharks, who have earned at least a point in nine of their last 10 games (6-1-3).
San Jose snapped a four-game losing streak against the Ducks.
"I'd like to think our guys are beginning to believe us as coaches, that three is our number," Sharks head coach Todd McLellan said. "We have to work both offensively and defensively towards that, that every play is important on both sides of the puck. When guys believe that and buy into that they tend to play more consistent."
Jonas Hiller stopped 33-of-36 shots for Anaheim, which has dropped the first three of a six-game homestand and seven of eight overall.
Despite a 12-3 edge in shots in the first period, the Sharks trailed 1-0 on a goal by Corey Perry.
Winchester fired home a wrister from the top of the left circle to pull San Jose even at the 16:23 mark of the middle stanza. A diving Ferriero scored from in tight to put the visitors on top.
Joe Pavelski provided some insurance in the third period. Patrick Marleau created a turnover in the neutral zone and Hiller turned away a high shot by Joe Thornton, but Pavelski buried the rebound at 12:43.
"It's a tough way to end the third period," Perry said. "We had (16) shots in the third period and two posts. We had our chances. Then, they get the third one and that one hurts. Those are the ones we want to have back. We want to bury our chances as well."
Both teams went 0-for-4 on the power play...Anaheim forward Jason Blake returned to the lineup after missing 34 games with tendon damage above his left wrist...Perry has 399 career points.
- SAN JOSE: 3
Jan 5 12:25 AM
- San Jose Goal - Joe Pavelski (16), from Joe Thornton and Patrick Marleau at 12:43.
Sharks 3, Ducks 1 3rd - 7:17Jan 5 12:09 AM
- SAN JOSE: 2
End of 2nd
Jan 4 11:35 PM
- San Jose Goal - Benn Ferriero (4), at 16:50.
Sharks 2, Ducks 1 2nd - 3:10Jan 4 11:29 PM
- San Jose Goal - Brad Winchester (4), at 16:23.
Sharks 1, Ducks 1 2nd - 3:37Jan 4 11:27 PM
- SAN JOSE: 0
End of 1st
Jan 4 10:42 PM
- Marc-Edouard Vlasic wrist shot on Jonas Hiller.
Sharks 0, Ducks 1 1st - 16:34Jan 4 10:14 PM
- Corey Perry backhand shot on Antti Niemi.
Sharks 0, Ducks 0 1st - 17:23Jan 4 10:13 PM
- Anaheim Goal - Corey Perry (15), at 2:37.
Sharks 0, Ducks 1 1st - 17:23Jan 4 10:13 PM
- SAN JOSE: 0
1st Period - 20:00
Jan 4 10:09 PM
- Perry, Ducks down Wild 1:43a
- Wild try to deal Ducks first home regulation loss Wed
- Isles down Sharks in SO Wed
- Isles aim to halt epic slide in San Jose Tue
- Ducks top struggling Islanders Tue
- Isles try to halt free fall in Anaheim Mon
- Wild edge Sharks Sun
- Sharks try to get back on track in Minnesota Sun
- Ducks chase Halak early, down Blues Sun
- Ducks, Blues collide in St. Louis Sat
- Lindholm, Hurricanes down Sharks Dec 7
- Ducks top Blackhawks in shootout Dec 7