Fire continue to roll with win at TFCSep 13, 2012 - 1:05 AM Toronto, ON (Sports Network) - The Chicago Fire continued their run of fine form with a 2-1 win over Toronto FC at BMO Field on Wednesday.
The Fire jumped out to a comfortable first-half lead thanks to Alvaro Fernandez and Chris Rolfe. They continued to dominate until the late stages when Eric Hassli brought TFC to within a goal, but it proved to be nothing more than consolation.
Chicago (14-8-5) has won five of its last six league matches to jump into second place in the Eastern Conference with 47 points.
Toronto (5-17-6) stays bottom of the East on 21 points.
Fernandez, who was acquired from Seattle Sounders FC in a mid-season trade, put the visitors in front in the 13th minute. Pavel Pardo hit the post with a right-footed shot but stuck with the play to send a cross back into the danger area where Fernandez was waiting to nod home his first goal with his new club.
The lead was doubled just before halftime when a failed clearance by the Toronto defense was hammered home by Rolfe's one-time volley through traffic.
Hassli capped a fine passage of play to cut the deficit in half in the 79th minute, latching on to Luis Silva's through ball and firing a shot past Sean Johnson.
That goal sparked a more confident spell of play for Toronto, but the Canadian club was unable to conjure an equalizer. Its winless run has been extended to eight games.
- CHICAGO: 2
TORONTO FC: 1
Sep 12 9:02 PM
- Toronto FC Goal - Hassli 4 (unassisted), 79th minute
Fire 2, Toronto FC 1 2nd - 79'Sep 12 8:46 PM
- Chicago Goal - Rolfe 6 (unassisted), 42nd minute
Fire 2, Toronto FC 0 1st - 43'Sep 12 7:53 PM
- Chicago Goal - Fernandez 3 (Pardo), 13th minute
Fire 1, Toronto FC 0 1st - 14'Sep 12 7:23 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
TORONTO FC: 0
1st Half - 1'
Sep 12 7:09 PM
- Chicago piles more misery on Montreal Aug 10
- Seattle edges TFC in Dempsey's debut Aug 10
- Fire welcome Impact to Toyota Park Aug 9
- Dempsey poised to make Seattle debut against TFC Aug 9
- Laba's early goal holds up as TFC tops Revs Aug 4
- Magee powers Chicago past Philadelphia Aug 3
- Revs, TFC tangle at Gillette Aug 2
- Union shoot for season sweep of Fire Aug 2
- Dynamo, Fire battle to draw at BBVA Jul 27
- Wiedeman helps TFC complete comeback vs. Columbus Jul 27
- Dynamo aims to continue momentum against Fire Jul 26
- Crew, TFC renew acquaintances in Trillium Cup Jul 26