Wondolowski's late goal sends 'Quakes to the top of MLSJun 24, 2012 - 3:14 AM Sandy, UT (Sports Network) - The San Jose Earthquakes took over the top spot in Major League Soccer on Saturday with a 2-1 win over Real Salt Lake at Rio Tinto Stadium after Chris Wondolowski's league-leading 13th goal in the 84th minute.
Salt Lake dominated the match for large stretches but it was the Earthquakes who snatched the lead in the 75th minute as Alan Gordon found the back of the net against the run of play.
RSL grabbed a deserved equalizer with a wonderful free kick four minutes later, but Wondolowski scored six minutes from time to move San Jose one point clear of Salt Lake.
The first half was tame compared to the second 45 minutes, with the best chance coming in the 23rd minute when RSL's Fabian Espindola had a shot cleared off the goal line by defender Justin Morrow.
The home side took over after the break but somehow failed to score when Will Johnson had his shot saved at close range, with San Jose's Jason Hernandez making a last-ditch sliding tackle to keep out a rebound attempt.
Morales missed the net from 12 yards and Jonny Steele also came close before Hernandez made another save on his own goal line to deny a shot from Luis Gil.
But after soaking up all the pressure, the visitors snatched the lead when Ramiro Corrales played a long ball into the area that skipped past a defender and caused goalkeeper Nick Rimando to hesitate, allowing Gordon to sneak in and head the ball home.
Morales executed a perfect free kick from 20 yards to beat goalkeeper Jon Busch at the left post, but once again a bit of slack defending cost RSL as a throw in was flicked on by Gordon into the path of Wondolowski, who got just enough on his volley to send the ball past Rimando.
San Jose has now won three of its last four games, while RSL suffered its second successive home defeat.
- SAN JOSE: 2
REAL SALT LAKE: 1
Jun 23 10:59 PM
- San Jose Goal - Wondolowski 13 (Gordon), 84th minute
Earthquakes 2, Real Salt Lake 1 2nd - 85'Jun 23 10:51 PM
- Real Salt Lake Goal - Morales 2 (unassisted), 79th minute
Earthquakes 1, Real Salt Lake 1 2nd - 80'Jun 23 10:46 PM
- San Jose Goal - Gordon 5 (Corrales), 75th minute
Earthquakes 1, Real Salt Lake 0 2nd - 76'Jun 23 10:42 PM
- SAN JOSE: 0
REAL SALT LAKE: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jun 23 9:08 PM
- Saborio's PK sees RSL edge Houston Aug 10
- Vancouver tops San Jose to climb to second place Aug 10
- Playoff push continues for both Vancouver, San Jose Aug 9
- RSL returns to league play to tangle with Houston Aug 9
- DCU to meet RSL in U.S. Open Cup final Aug 7
- San Jose topples Chivas behind Wondolowski's brace Aug 4
- Rapids claim Rocky Mountain Cup after draw with RSL Aug 3
- 'Quakes hope to continue good run against Chivas Aug 2
- Rocky Mountain Cup on the line as RSL meets Colorado Aug 2
- MLS suspends RSL's Alvarez, two others Aug 2
- RSL's Saborio claims MLS Player of the Week honor Jul 29
- 10-man 'Quakes hold on to edge Timbers Jul 28