Columbus hands Real Salt Lake third straight lossJul 1, 2012 - 3:27 AM Columbus, OH (Sports Network) - Real Salt Lake is officially in a slump.
Tony Tchani and Eddie Gaven scored in the first half as Columbus defeated Real Salt Lake, 2-0, at Crew Stadium on Saturday in MLS.
Real has lost its last three matches. It began the year with just three losses in its first 14 games.
Columbus (6-5-4) rebounded from its first defeat in its last seven matches, as it remained in sixth and one point behind the Houston Dynamo in the East.
RSL (10-6-2), which lost its previous two matches at home to the Los Angeles Galaxy and San Jose Earthquakes, is still second in the West.
Tchani opened the scoring off a pass from Emilio Renteria, as he converted to the bottom-right corner in the 16th minute.
Gaven added his goal in the 44th minute, as he reached a corner kick from Josh Williams and drove a high shot to the middle of the net.
Columbus maintained its cushion, as it became just the fourth team to shut out Real this season. Andy Gruenebaum made two saves for the clean sheet.
The Crew visit the Montreal Impact for their next match July 8. Real Salt Lake hosts Seattle Sounders FC on Wednesday.
- Saborio's PK sees RSL edge Houston Aug 10
- Higuain's brace sees Columbus down N.Y. Aug 10
- RBNY heads to Columbus hoping to maintain top spot Aug 9
- RSL returns to league play to tangle with Houston Aug 9
- DCU to meet RSL in U.S. Open Cup final Aug 7
- Rapids claim Rocky Mountain Cup after draw with RSL Aug 3
- Houston piles more misery on Columbus Aug 3
- Rocky Mountain Cup on the line as RSL meets Colorado Aug 2
- Dynamo, Crew clash at BBVA Aug 2
- MLS suspends RSL's Alvarez, two others Aug 2
- Hunt family sells Columbus Crew Jul 30
- RSL's Saborio claims MLS Player of the Week honor Jul 29