San Jose survives scare against FC DallasJul 19, 2012 - 5:28 AM Santa Clara, CA (Sports Network) - Marvin Chavez and Alan Gordon scored and FC Dallas missed a penalty kick in extra time as the San Jose Earthquakes escaped with a 2-1 win Wednesday at Buck Shaw Stadium in MLS.
Chavez scored his first goal of the season in the 12th minute and Gordon added his career-high eighth in first-half stoppage time. Chris Wondolowski missed a chance for his 18th goal, as a penalty he converted was retaken and saved.
Dallas nearly punished San Jose, as Hernan Pertuz scored in the 89th and Zach Loyd won a penalty early in stoppage time. But Jair Benitez fired the penalty high over the crossbar, as the Earthquakes held on for all three points.
San Jose (13-4-4) posted its league-high 13th win and stayed unbeaten in nine matches at Buck Shaw with seven wins and two ties in nine matches. It lost its one home game played at AT&T Park.
FC Dallas (4-10-7), which snapped a 13-game winless skid over the weekend, was unbeaten in four matches, as it tied its previous three games in the streak.
Dallas tried to build on the momentum of a 2-1 win over the Colorado Rapids on Saturday, as it had two chances inside 2 minutes, including a Brek Shea shot that cleared off the line.
San Jose settled in after the slow start, and Chavez - who used to play for FC Dallas - scored his first goal with the Earthquakes. Chavez turned a pass from Shea Salinas into the bottom right from 18 yards.
Gordon deposited a pass from Sam Cronin just before halftime, giving him three more goals than his previous career high of five in 2008.
Wondolowski appeared to put the fixture away, and score his 18th goal, but San Jose had a player enter the area before the kick was taken, and his second try was saved by Dallas goalkeeper Kevin Hartman on the hour mark.
Pertuz pulled a goal back late in normal time when he dove to meet a pass from Jackson, and Dallas continued to pressure in stoppage time. Loyd drew the foul from Simon Dawkins to win the penalty, but Benitez failed to convert.
The defender, who has never scored in MLS, lifted his attempt over the bar and San Jose held on through the remainder of added time for the win.
FC Dallas hosts the Portland Timbers on Saturday and San Jose visits Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Sunday.
- FC DALLAS: 1
SAN JOSE: 2
Jul 19 1:15 AM
- FC Dallas Goal - Pertuz 1 (Jackson), 89th minute
FC Dallas 1, Earthquakes 2 2nd - 90'Jul 19 1:11 AM
- San Jose Goal - Gordon 8 (Cronin), 45th minute
FC Dallas 0, Earthquakes 2 1st - 45'Jul 19 12:07 AM
- San Jose Goal - Chavez 1 (Salinas), 12th minute
FC Dallas 0, Earthquakes 1 1st - 14'Jul 18 11:35 PM
- FC DALLAS: 0
SAN JOSE: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jul 18 11:21 PM
- Chavez helps 'Quakes claim point against Colorado Sun
- Johnson's brace helps surging Sounders topple FCD Sun
- Sounders, FCD lock horns at CenturyLink Fri
- Rapids, 'Quakes meet at Buck Shaw Fri
- San Jose's Chavez has ban reduced May 15
- FCD continues to roll with DCU defeat May 11
- Sounders roll past 'Quakes May 11
- MLS suspends San Jose's Chavez May 10
- DCU hopeful of reversing fortunes at FCD May 10
- Sounders hope to continue strong run against 'Quakes May 10
- 'Quakes snap winless skid behind Wondolowski's late goal May 9
- Cooper's PK helps FCD draw Timbers May 8