Pontius nets 10th goal to lift D.C. over ColumbusAug 5, 2012 - 2:03 AM Washington, D.C. (Sports Network) - Chris Pontius scored his 10th goal as D.C. United extended its home undefeated streak to 10 games with a 1-0 win over the Columbus Crew on Saturday night at RFK Stadium.
Pontius, MVP of the MLS All-Star Game, scored in the 49th minute for the game- winner as he slammed home a rebound from just a few yards out. His 10 goals is already three more than his previous career high set last season.
D.C. (11-7-3) lost its home opener to Sporting Kansas City in March, but since has won eight of its 10 home MLS matches. United has won its last six at home.
United remained fourth in the Eastern Conference, but moved within four points of first place. The Houston Dynamo and Sporting are tied on 40 points atop the East.
Columbus (8-8-4) had its two-game win streak, which included a 1-0 win against United at home, ended. The Crew are seventh in the East, 12 points behind the co-leaders.
United visits Kansas City for its next MLS match Aug. 11, when Columbus visits Toronto FC.
- COLUMBUS: 0
D.C. UNITED: 1
Aug 4 9:29 PM
- D.C. United Goal - Pontius 10 (unassisted), 49th minute
Crew 0, D.C. United 1 2nd - 51'Aug 4 8:46 PM
- COLUMBUS: 0
D.C. UNITED: 0
1st Half - 1'
Aug 4 7:39 PM
- Higuain's brace sees Columbus down N.Y. Aug 10
- D.C. out to continue impressive form vs. Philadelphia Aug 9
- RBNY heads to Columbus hoping to maintain top spot Aug 9
- DCU to meet RSL in U.S. Open Cup final Aug 7
- Houston piles more misery on Columbus Aug 3
- Doyle sparks United to win over Montreal Aug 3
- Dynamo, Crew clash at BBVA Aug 2
- Montreal heads to DCU with sights set on first place Aug 2
- Hunt family sells Columbus Crew Jul 30
- Revs storm back for victory at DCU Jul 27
- Wiedeman helps TFC complete comeback vs. Columbus Jul 27
- Revolution, DCU clash at RFK Jul 26