Fire doomed by own goal in defeat at PortlandMay 21, 2012 - 1:09 AM Portland, OR (Sports Network) - The Portland Timbers used a bit of good fortune to end a three-game winless streak on Sunday as an own goal from the Chicago Fire's Logan Pause was the difference in a 2-1 Timbers victory at Jeld-Wen Field.
Eric Brunner's first goal of the season in the 20th minute had Portland in front before the Fire equalized in the 39th minute through Jalil Anibaba.
However, the Fire was unable to extend its good run of results as the club saw its three-game unbeaten streak halted thanks to an own goal from Pause.
The Timbers struck first from a corner kick as the ball was played to the back post where Hanyer Mosquera nodded it into the six-yard box. Kris Boyd got a touch on the ball for Portland, and Brunner was on hand to provide the finish from a few yards.
Portland goalkeeper Troy Perkins did well to keep his team ahead in the 35th minute when he turned a shot from Pavel Pardo past the post with a diving stop.
But the Fire leveled the contest four minutes later as Marco Pappa drove a low ball into the penalty area for Anibaba, who took a touch to settle the ball before lashing it inside the far post.
Sal Zizzo came off the bench at halftime for Portland and his corner kick in the 52nd minute led to the go-ahead goal. He played the ball to the near post for Boyd, who flicked it on to the front of the net where it deflected off the knee of Pause and into his own goal.
It was a tough break for Chicago, and the closest that the visitors came to an equalizer was a deflected shot from Gonzalo Segares that narrowly missed the right post.
- CHICAGO: 1
May 20 8:58 PM
- Portland Goal - Pause (OG), 52nd minute
Fire 1, Timbers 2 2nd - 54'May 20 8:19 PM
- Chicago Goal - Anibaba 1 (Pappa), 39th minute
Fire 1, Timbers 1 1st - 41'May 20 7:47 PM
- Portland Goal - Brunner 1 (Boyd), 20th minute
Fire 0, Timbers 1 1st - 22'May 20 7:28 PM
- CHICAGO: 0
1st Half - 1'
May 20 7:06 PM
- Chicago piles more misery on Montreal Aug 10
- Fire welcome Impact to Toyota Park Aug 9
- Portland purchases Valeri's contract Aug 6
- Timbers, Whitecaps share the points at Jeld-Wen Aug 4
- Magee powers Chicago past Philadelphia Aug 3
- Timbers out to bounce back vs. Whitecaps Aug 2
- Union shoot for season sweep of Fire Aug 2
- 10-man 'Quakes hold on to edge Timbers Jul 28
- Dynamo, Fire battle to draw at BBVA Jul 27
- Dynamo aims to continue momentum against Fire Jul 26
- San Jose returns to action with Portland test Jul 26
- Fire sign Ecuadorian striker Anangono Jul 23