Gordon completes San Jose's comeback vs. L.A.May 24, 2012 - 5:19 AM Carson, CA (Sports Network) - Alan Gordon can't seem to stop scoring late goals.
The San Jose Earthquakes striker scored late to help his club salvage draws in its last two matches, but his second-half stoppage time goal at The Home Depot Center on Wednesday counted for a win as his side came from behind to earn a 3-2 victory over the Los Angeles Galaxy.
The Galaxy jumped out to a two-goal lead thanks to goals from Hector Jimenez and Mike Magee, but the 'Quakes, aided by an extra man following the sending off of Jimenez, clawed their way back with goals from Steven Lenhart, Khari Stephenson and Gordon paving the way to an improbable comeback.
San Jose (8-2-3) secures its first win in four matches and climbs to an MLS- best 27 points on the season. Los Angeles (3-7-2) remains in last place in the Western Conference on 11 points.
Jimenez got the game off to a flying start when he scored inside the opening three minutes. Juninho slipped a through ball into the box for Chad Barrett who played a tricky square ball to the penalty spot. Jimenez made no mistake with the chance as the youngster slotted home from close range.
Juninho came within inches of doubling the Galaxy's lead later in the first half, ripping a shot from distance that looked destined to fly in under the crossbar until Jon Busch's outstretched hand tipped the effort out of play.
The match turned sour for the home side just before the hour mark when Jimenez went for a loose ball at the top of the box with a reckless two-footed challenge, earning himself a red card and reducing the Galaxy to 10 men.
Los Angeles was still able to double its lead as David Beckham found Magee in space on the left flank. Magee danced around one 'Quakes defender and eased around Busch before roofing the ball into the net for his first of the season.
That sparked a San Jose comeback as the Earthquakes answered with three goals in the final 14 minutes.
Lenhart bravely pulled one back for the visitors when his diving header off of a corner kick found the back of the net through traffic.
San Jose drew level eight minutes from time when Beckham's hand ball in the box saw Stephenson head to the spot. He converted the ensuing kick for his second goal of the season.
Los Angeles applied pressure with the hopes of killing the clock to salvage a point, but a defensive miscue in the dying minutes allowed Gordon to sneak in between Brian Perk and A.J. DeLaGarza to nod home the winner in a dramatic victory for the 'Quakes.
Both teams return to action with stern tests at the weekend. The Galaxy will hope to get back track at BBVA Compass Stadium against the Houston Dynamo on Saturday and the Earthquakes will try to extend their unbeaten run to four games when they head to Livestrong Sporting Park to face Sporting Kansas City on Sunday.
- SAN JOSE: 3
LOS ANGELES: 2
May 24 12:33 AM
- San Jose Goal - Gordon 4 (Hernandez), 90th minute
Earthquakes 3, Galaxy 2 2nd - 89'May 24 12:33 AM
- San Jose Goal - Stephenson 2 (PK), 82nd minute
Earthquakes 2, Galaxy 2 2nd - 82'May 24 12:18 AM
- San Jose Goal - Lenhart 5 (Chavez), 76th minute
Earthquakes 1, Galaxy 2 2nd - 76'May 24 12:12 AM
- Los Angeles Goal - Magee 1 (Beckham), 73rd minute
Earthquakes 0, Galaxy 2 2nd - 74'May 24 12:11 AM
- Los Angeles Goal - Jimenez 1 (Barrett), 3rd minute
Earthquakes 0, Galaxy 1 1st - 4'May 23 10:44 PM
- SAN JOSE: 0
LOS ANGELES: 0
1st Half - 1'
May 23 10:39 PM
- Cahill's late goal sees N.Y. down L.A. Sun
- Chavez helps 'Quakes claim point against Colorado Sun
- Red Bulls, Galaxy set for high-profile clash Fri
- Rapids, 'Quakes meet at Buck Shaw Fri
- Donovan, Keane shine as Galaxy crush Union May 15
- San Jose's Chavez has ban reduced May 15
- Union out to turn home form around vs. L.A. May 14
- Teibert's brace helps 'Caps snap winless streak May 11
- Sounders roll past 'Quakes May 11
- MLS suspends San Jose's Chavez May 10
- 'Caps aiming to end winless run vs. Galaxy May 10
- Sounders hope to continue strong run against 'Quakes May 10