Wondolowski sinks Rapids with late PKJun 21, 2012 - 3:50 AM Commerce City, CO (Sports Network) - Chris Wondolowski's stoppage-time penalty kick helped the San Jose Earthquakes complete a 2-1 comeback win over the Colorado Rapids at Dick's Sporting Goods Park on Wednesday.
Brian Mullan's first-half goal for the Rapids held up until the 84th minute, when substitute Alan Gordon netted the equalizer for the Earthquakes.
And Gordon's impact was felt again in the 90th minute when he drew a foul on Rapids goalkeeper Matt Pickens inside the area, allowing Wondolowski to fire home the winner from the penalty spot.
Pickens was called upon after three minutes when a bullet of a free kick from Victor Bernardez forced the 'keeper to tip the ball over the crossbar.
But Colorado gradually took control and went in front in the 18th minute when a right-wing cross from Hunter Freeman was delivered to the back post for Mullan, who sent a looping header back across the face of goal and into the net.
Edu nearly made it 2-0 to the Rapids a few minutes later when his deflected shot struck the outside of the post.
San Jose goalkeeper David Bingham did well to keep out a free kick from Martin Rivero, with Pickens producing an even better save at the other end to deny San Jose's Steven Lenhart.
Colorado looked poised to see out the game with Mullan's goal providing the difference, but substitute Shea Salinas set up Lenhart, who turned a shot on goal that Pickens parried. Unfortunately for the Rapids, the rebound fell to Gordon for an easy finish from close range with six minutes to play.
The late equalizer would have been deflating enough, but the Earthquakes stole all three points in stoppage time when Gordon worked his way into the penalty area and was brought down by Pickens.
Wondolowski didn't have a huge impact on the match, but he kept his nerve from the spot and fired a shot high into the net over the diving Pickens.
San Jose has now lost once in its last five games, while the Rapids suffered their second successive defeat.
- SAN JOSE: 2
Jun 20 11:34 PM
- San Jose Goal - Wondolowski 12 (PK), 90th minute
Earthquakes 2, Rapids 1 2nd - 89'Jun 20 11:31 PM
- San Jose Goal - Gordon 5 (unassisted), 83rd minute
Earthquakes 1, Rapids 1 2nd - 85'Jun 20 11:23 PM
- Colorado Goal - Mullan 1 (Freeman), 18th minute
Earthquakes 0, Rapids 1 1st - 19'Jun 20 10:00 PM
- SAN JOSE: 0
1st Half - 1'
Jun 20 9:40 PM
- Rapids roll over Chivas 11:11p
- Castillo's goal enough as FCD holds off San Jose 10:43p
- Rapids aim to continue dominance over Chivas Fri
- FCD aims to start new streak against 'Quakes Fri
- Chavez helps 'Quakes claim point against Colorado May 19
- Rapids, 'Quakes meet at Buck Shaw May 17
- San Jose's Chavez has ban reduced May 15
- Rapids roll over Columbus May 11
- Sounders roll past 'Quakes May 11
- MLS suspends San Jose's Chavez May 10
- Crew hoping to start new unbeaten run vs. Rapids May 10
- Sounders hope to continue strong run against 'Quakes May 10