Houston ties Columbus to stay unbeaten at homeAug 20, 2012 - 3:16 AM Houston, TX (Sports Network) - Adam Moffat scored with eight minutes remaining as the Houston Dynamo preserved their undefeated home record Sunday with a 2-2 draw against the Columbus Crew.
Houston is unbeaten in 12 matches at new BBVA Compass Stadium this season, and is unbeaten at home in 20 straight games dating back to last year.
Brad Davis also scored for Houston, which is one of just two teams unbeaten at home this season. Red Bull New York edged the Portland Timbers, 3-2, to remain unbeaten earlier Sunday.
The Dynamo (11-6-8) have eight wins and four draws at home this year. The Crew (8-8-6) secured a road result for the seventh time in 12 road games this year, as Cole Grossman and Eddie Gaven scored on each side of halftime.
Houston took the lead inside 20 minutes when Boniek Garcia played Davis on the edge of the area and he drilled a shot into the top-left corner for his sixth goal this season.
Columbus answered through Grossman just after the half-hour, as he took a pass from Dilly Duka and drove a shot from 18 yards into the upper-right corner for his first career MLS goal.
Gaven put the Crew in front just before the hour mark, as Federico Higuain, in his debut for Columbus, played a nice ball behind the defense to set up a goal in the 58th. Gaven finished to the left post for his fifth goal.
With the Crew closing in on a huge road win, Moffat earned a draw for Houston. He ran onto a poor clearance outside the area, set up a left-footed shot, and blasted a ball off the hands of Crew goalie Andy Gruenebaum and into the net.
Houston, which is 6-1-3 in its last 10 games, is just five points off the top of the Eastern Conference. The Dynamo host Toronto FC on Saturday for their next match.
Columbus has tied both of its matches since the death of midfielder Kirk Urso and is seventh in the East, seven points out of a playoff berth. The Crew also play Toronto in their next match, on Wednesday at Crew Stadium in a match that was rescheduled for the funeral of Urso.
- COLUMBUS: 2
Aug 19 11:02 PM
- Houston Goal - Moffat 2 (unassisted), 82nd minute
Crew 2, Dynamo 2 2nd - 86'Aug 19 10:52 PM
- Columbus Goal - Gaven 5 (Higuain), 58th minute
Crew 2, Dynamo 1 2nd - 61'Aug 19 10:26 PM
- Columbus Goal - Grossman 1 (Duka), 33rd minute
Crew 1, Dynamo 1 1st - 36'Aug 19 9:43 PM
- Houston Goal - Davis 6 (Garcia), 19th minute
Crew 0, Dynamo 1 1st - 21'Aug 19 9:28 PM
- COLUMBUS: 0
1st Half - 1'
Aug 19 9:07 PM
- Saborio's PK sees RSL edge Houston Aug 10
- Higuain's brace sees Columbus down N.Y. Aug 10
- RBNY heads to Columbus hoping to maintain top spot Aug 9
- RSL returns to league play to tangle with Houston Aug 9
- Houston signs Lopez as young DP Aug 7
- Houston piles more misery on Columbus Aug 3
- Dynamo, Crew clash at BBVA Aug 2
- Hunt family sells Columbus Crew Jul 30
- Dynamo, Fire battle to draw at BBVA Jul 27
- Wiedeman helps TFC complete comeback vs. Columbus Jul 27
- Dynamo aims to continue momentum against Fire Jul 26
- Crew, TFC renew acquaintances in Trillium Cup Jul 26