Toliver leads balanced attack as Sparks break FeverAug 22, 2012 - 5:17 AM Los Angeles, CA (Sports Network) - Kristi Toliver poured in a team-high 21 points and all five Los Angeles starters scored in double figures as the Sparks knocked off the Indiana Fever, 79-69, at Staples Center on Tuesday.
Candace Parker netted 15 points and grabbed eight rebounds, Nneka Ogwumike had 12 points and ripped down 10 rebounds, DeLisha Milton-Jones chipped in with 12 points and Alana Beard had 10 points for the Sparks, who have won seven consecutive games.
Katie Douglas scored a game-high 22 points and Tamika Catchings added 16 points in defeat for the Fever, who had their two-game winning streak snapped.
Los Angeles got off to a flying start, shooting 52.9 percent in the first quarter. They led by a comfortable 24-11 margin after the first 10 minutes.
Los Angeles led 41-28 at the half, but the Fever made it a game in the third, outscoring the Sparks, 27-21 to cut the deficit to 62-55 after three quarters.
The Sparks grinded it out in the final period and held on for the win. Los Angeles outscored Indiana in the paint, 38-26, and also had the better of the play on the glass, 35-34.
- Sparks sign Ross to multi-year extension Thu
- McCoughtry, Dream reach WNBA Finals Sep 29
- Dream gain early upper hand over Fever in East Finals Sep 26
- Griner's late bucket sends Mercury to West finals Sep 24
- Fever cruise past Sky, return to conference finals Sep 22
- Parker leads Sparks over Mercury Sep 22
- Fever beat top-seeded Sky to open playoffs Sep 20
- Taurasi helps Phoenix take Game 1 over LA Sep 20
- Sparks' Parker wins second WNBA MVP award Sep 19
- Late free throws lead Sun over Fever Sep 15
- Sparks pummel Mercury in playoff preview Sep 15
- Catchings, Fever hold off Liberty Sep 13