Argos rout Montreal to end regular seasonNov 8, 2010 - 12:58 AM
Dalton Bell completed 16-of-27 passes for 229 yards, one touchdown and an interception for the Argonauts (9-9), who will travel to Hamilton for an East Division Semi-Final next Sunday.
"It was a huge win for us and a big opportunity for me to step up," Watt admitted. "Everybody was saying this was a game we didn't need at all but there was a group that hadn't been getting much playing time and they all stepped up. Momentum is huge, and this win is a huge momentum booster."
Cleo Lemon started and completed 3-of-6 passes for 77 yards and a TD strike to Watt and Dwayne Wright added 73 yards and a score on 13 carries.
Adrian McPherson was held to 137 yards and a pick on 16-of-34 completions but rushed for 69 yards on eight carries for the Alouettes (12-6), who have a bye week upcoming after winning the East Division crown and await the winner of Toronto-Hamilton's contest.
Toronto struck late in the first quarter as Lemon hit Watt for a 50-yard touchdown.
Damon Duval recorded a single before the end of the period, then connected on a 14-yard field goal to bring the Als within 7-4 in the second quarter.
Wright's one-yard run boosted the Argos to a 10-point edge, then Bell found Watt for a 34-yard TD pass and a 21-4 edge at halftime.
Grant Shaw booted a pair of field goals, from 47 and 51 yards, respectively, to give Toronto a 27-4 lead after three quarters. He added a 22-yarder late in the contest.
"It was a very difficult game. I was missing some throws that I normally make. I think that if I could make those throws, we could get some offense and keep the rhythm going," McPherson said. "But we just couldn't get it going tonight for whatever reason."
This was Toronto's first win in Montreal since October 20, 2007...Danny Brannagan from nearby Burlington, Ontario was 2-of-4 for 32 yards late in the contest and became the first Canadian to go under center for the Argos since Frank Cosentino in 1969...The clubs split four meetings, with each winning once at home and once on the road.
No one has shouted yet.
Be the first!
Be the first!
- Calgary comes calling on Montreal Jul 1
- Argos and Riders square off in Week 2 action Jul 1
- Sam returns to CFL's Alouettes after absence Jun 29
- Argos cruise to season-opening win behind Harris Jun 27
- RedBlacks clip Alouettes in CFL opener Jun 25
- Eskimos and Argonauts square off in season opener Jun 24
- Alouettes and RedBlacks kick off 2015 campaign Jun 24
- Alouettes place Michael Sam on suspended list Jun 15
- Sam leaves Alouettes camp for personal reasons Jun 12
- Sam signs two-year deal with CFL's Alouettes May 22
- Argonauts sign RB Scott Mar 3
- Alouettes add Lewis, LeFevour Feb 25