for this game

Suber's INT return leads Winnipeg over Hamilton

Jul 2, 2011 - 4:06 AM Hamilton, ON (Sports Network) - Alex Suber returned an interception 66 yards for the go-ahead touchdown in the fourth quarter, lifting Winnipeg to a 24-16 win over Hamilton in the season opener at Ivor Wynne Stadium.

"It was a phenomenal play and completely turned the game around in our favor," said Winnipeg head coach Paul LaPolice.

The Blue Bombers scored 15 second half points en route to the come-from-behind victory.

While the Blue Bombers (1-0) were victorious the performance of the offense was mediocre at best. Buck Pierce finished with just 151 yards and one touchdown on 12-of-26 passing. The signal caller was also picked off once and sacked five times.

His touchdown pass was hauled in by Terrence Edwards, who finished with 68 yards on three receptions.

As for the Tiger-Cats (0-1) they were led by Kevin Glenn, but he was extremely ineffective, and the Suber INT led to the go-ahead score. The quarterback racked up 187 yards on 18-of-31 efficiency, but because of his numerous mistakes he eventually found himself on the bench for Quinton Porter. Porter was not much better, completing just four of his seven passes for 40 yards.

Regardless of who was under center, Maurice Mann looked to be the main target, as the receiver hauled in nine passes for 120 yards and one score.

Midway through the third frame the Blue Bombers took advantage of a mistake, as Joe Lobendahn intercepted Glenn inside Hamilton's territory. Winnipeg was unable to find the end zone, but did tack on three points thanks to a 39-yard boot by Justin Palardy.

Palardy made it a 16-13 game with a single on the ensuing kick off.

Winnipeg continued to dominate defensively and the unit gave the Blue Bombers their first lead midway through the final frame when Suber found pay dirt with his first-ever interception in the CFL.

The Ti-Cats also took part in the interception bonanza, as Marcell Young made an outstanding pick down the sideline, giving Hamilton the ball around mid- field.

However, on the very next play Glenn gave it right back to the Blue Bombers, as Ian Logan grabbed an errant pass. It was the third and final interception for Glenn, who would make way for Porter.

Once again an offensive drive for Winnipeg stalled in Hamilton's territory, but Palardy was able to extend Winnipeg's lead with a 34-yard field goal. The Blue Bombers pushed their lead to 24-16 with just over two minutes remaining in regulation when Mike Renaud's punt sailed through the end zone for a single.

Hamilton would have one more chance, but Winnipeg's defense would stick to the script of the game, as Logan collected his second interception in the matchup, sealing the win for the Blue Bombers.

Justin Medlock's 42-yard field goal got the Tiger-Cats on the board early in the opening quarter.

Hamilton's special teams came up big on Winnipeg's next possession, as Markeith Knowlton blocked Renaud's punt. The Tiger-Cats wasted little time capitalizing on the turnover, as Glenn connected with Mann for a 19-yard scoring strike.

However the Blue Bombers answered back immediately, as Pierce hit Edwards with a 49-yard touchdown pass on their next possession, cutting the team's deficit to 10-7 late in the opening frame.

Just seconds into the second stanza Medlock struck again, this time the kicker for Hamilton chipped in a 13-yard field goal, pushing the Tiger-Cats' lead to 13-7.

With Winnipeg's offense not doing much in the early stages of the matchup, the defense for the Blue Bombers decided to slice into Hamilton's lead and did so by grabbing Glenn in the end zone for a safety.

Once again though Medlock extended Hamilton's lead. The kicker for the Ti- Cats drilled a 37-yard field goal with six minutes remaining in the first half. That would be the last score before halftime, as Hamilton went into the break with a 16-9 edge.

Game Notes

It was the first road win for Winnipeg since the Blue Bombers defeated Hamilton on October 12, 2009.